3 replies to this topic

#1 Mom22

Mom22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:40 AM

Our 9 year old son has been gluten-free for 2 months and diagnosed with celiac disease via biopsy. He attends an afterschool care program through our local Y since both my husband and I work full-time. Since he became gluten-free, we have always packed his lunch and snacks for the day. The Y has been informed in writing that our son has celiac disease and not to give him any food as he is only to eat what we have provided. Our son has done very well with this transition of diet change and I have become very creative in snacks and finding things that are gluten-free that he likes. My husband went to pick our son up yesterday and there are 4 teachers that are there on a regular basis. One of his teachers is on vacation and there was a sub. Apparently, the sub gave our son a piece of chocolate cake and told him that it was ok for him to eat. He even questioned her about it as he knew it wasn't safe, but she assured him it was. He ate 3 bites before another teacher saw what had occurred and immediately stepped in and took the cake away and told the sub that he couldn't have it. The sub wanted to argue with my husband when he spoke to her about this asking if we had put this in writing. He advised her that we had. Then, she told him that she knew that the cake was gluten free because she knew what gluten free meant. My husband was puzzled as it is obvious that cake has flour, which has gluten. So, he asked her what she thought gluten free meant. Are you ready for her reply... She believes that gluten free has to do with cholesterol!! :angry: My husband gave her a nice lecture on gluten free and what she had just done to our son's body. I can't believe it!!! I'm glad that I wasn't the one that picked him up as I was livid when my husband told me the story and probably would have told the sub she was an idiot. I am calling the Y program today and speak with the director. My husband assured our son that this wasn't his fault as he felt he had done something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep your children gluten free when they are not with you? I thought we had covered all of our bases. Thanks for reading and letting me vent.

Mom 2 2

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:06 AM

You did cover all of your bases. The sub was wwwaaaayyyyy out of line! She had no business feeding anything to any of the kids without asking one of the regular teachers about it first. I used to do home day care, and I never let anyone else feed the kids that I knew had food problems! Cool your jets, talk to the head honcho at the Y, and let them take care of the problem with the sub. You will have your hands full taking care of your son!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 Beantree

Beantree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

Dont you LOVE how other folks are more educated about your dietary needs than you are!!!

I have a SIL who is a nutritionist. has her masters in it. and she insists that my dd has teeth that are pitted and chipped because I do not give her milk. It could not possibly be because she has celiacs AND a dairy intolerance could it???????

Ugh!! They think we are freakin idiots.

This story got my knickers in a freakin wad!!! I get so angry with folks giving kids food. UGH!

#4 Mom22

Mom22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:14 AM

I did speak with the Y director and by that time had cooled my jets. She was very understanding and will take additional measures that this did not happen again, as well as, have a talk with the sub. Yesterday, when my husband picked up our son, he received an apology from the sub.

Mom 2 2 :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: