23 replies to this topic

#1 ErraticBinxie

ErraticBinxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:39 AM

I have recently become lactose intolerant. I have been coping with it pretty well. I haven't cheated and I am strictly soy milk now.

I am however wondering about products like Lactaid. I would really like to eat cheese just once in a while and I bought Lactaid but I am afraid to try it. I know that a lot of people on this forum are also lactose intolerant and I am just wondering if anyone has tried products like this before and what kind of results they have had. I have had bad Pepto experiences (I was addicted to it for about three months) and I don't know if this stuff will have similar results. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
<3 Alexis
Gluten-Free since 1995

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jmengert

jmengert

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

I'm also lactose intolerant, and I drink Lactaid milk frequently without problems. I also emailed them and confirmed it was gluten-free.

I'm not sure about the Lactaid pill. I used it pre-gluten-free without problems, but I had to take twice the recommended dose for it to "work"--but again, that was all pre-gluten-free.

Good luck!
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#3 francelajoie

francelajoie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

I use extra strengh lactaid chewables all the time. They work great.
France

#4 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

I use Lactaid Ultra when I eat things with cheese (love cheese and can't seem to part with it). I don't go as far as to drink a glass of milk or eat yogurt or ice cream though. It does appear to work well for me with the cheese.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#5 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

the lactaid ultra seem to work only some of the time for me, seems a lot of ppl say the same thing..I ordered some online from a LI site, they're from England, work great!!
~Betty

#6 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

Lactaid tabs and chewables are gluten-free. I don't do milk now b/c of casein intolerance...but back in the day, lactaid worked pretty well for my lactose intolerance. If you're unsure, just start with small amounts of dairy at first as a trial.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#7 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

The way Lactaid works it contains the enzyme needed to break down lactose. It's an enzyme that your body used to produce naturally, and apparently doesn't anymore, since you've become lactose intolerant. So you don't need to worry that you could get hooked on Lactaid or anything, it's not that kind of a drug.

Pauliina

#8 ErraticBinxie

ErraticBinxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

Thank you all SO much for your input. I feel a lot more confident in it now and it also helps me to reconcile the fact that I now have two intolerances! Thanks again and good luck to you all!
<3 Alexis
Gluten-Free since 1995

#9 Jen H

Jen H

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

I tried the Lactaid milk and had bloating and an upset stomach after drinking 1/2 a cup. However, it was the first time I've had milk in 8 months. I'm going to try it again in a few months. If you are looking for a gluten-free Lactose free cheese, Cabot cheese is gluten-free. It also says "0g lactose" on the back of the packages.

#10 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

kraft shredded cheddar is also lactose free
~Betty

#11 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

The lactaid pills work for lots of things with me but not for milk nor cheese. The Lavatid milk doesn't work with me, either.

#12 melly

melly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

I have recently become lactose intolerant. I have been coping with it pretty well. I haven't cheated and I am strictly soy milk now.

I am however wondering about products like Lactaid. I would really like to eat cheese just once in a while and I bought Lactaid but I am afraid to try it. I know that a lot of people on this forum are also lactose intolerant and I am just wondering if anyone has tried products like this before and what kind of results they have had. I have had bad Pepto experiences (I was addicted to it for about three months) and I don't know if this stuff will have similar results. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

lactaids good i drank it w/ no problems i would be fine w/ lactose intolerance if it didnt mean no ice cream so you can tell i had no trouble drinking it by the way im back on regular milk and still doin fine

#13 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

I take lactaid and so does my son, but still can't drink milk. We take 2 extra strength and works good for cheese with us. Take it after you eat a bite of the food first. :)

#14 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

kraft shredded cheddar is also lactose free

How is the Kraft chesse lactose free I am new with the lactose thing?

#15 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

I wondered about that too :unsure: Anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: