Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Jack In The Box

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is anything safe to eat at Jack in the Box? I was thinking maybe the tacos would be ok.

Thanks!!

Ads by Google:

Their website lists all ingredients and they also talk about food allergies.

August 24, 2011

On their site, Jack in the Box lists their ingredients (as of Aug 24, 2011), which is marginally helpful as long as you know the chemical forms of hidden gluten. Note, however, the company does not say which ingredients might have come down gluten-contaminated production lines at their source. Cross-contamination in the restaurant could also be a big concern, as the teenagers are probably flopping the food around without the least thought of a crumb being dangerous.

http://www.jackinthebox.com/uploads/nutrition-pdfs/allergens-ingredients.pdf

I don't think much is safe there at all. Looks like mostly individual ingredients. Like a hamburger patty. I don't think the tacos are safe at all.

August 24, 2011

On their site, Jack in the Box lists their ingredients (as of Aug 24, 2011), which is marginally helpful as long as you know the chemical forms of hidden gluten. Note, however, the company does not say which ingredients might have come down gluten-contaminated production lines at their source. Cross-contamination in the restaurant could also be a big concern, as the teenagers are probably flopping the food around without the least thought of a crumb being dangerous.

http://www.jackinthebox.com/uploads/nutrition-pdfs/allergens-ingredients.pdf

I looked at the ingredients list, and it is actually quite helpful. Compound ingredients are broken down in parentheses, and some of these are further broken down. They aren't hiding anything. There are "contains" statements for major allergens, which includes wheat. So if gluten is hiding, it is hidden barley. I saw one item with malt vinegar clearly listed.

Today, there are very few "chemical" names which are red flags for possible gluten. Wheat can not be hidden anymore.

CC in the restaurant is always a possibility in any restaurant.