This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Worry?

alex361

alex361 Newbie

I'm a 21 year old college student/varsity athlete and I have been diagnosed with a strep infection (Scarlet Fever) 3 times in two months, and I have a constant rash on my face, knees, and hands. My skin is so dry. Here are some of my symptoms:

graying hair

hair loss

migraines

fatigue

sleep paralysis

fear of leaving my house

blurred vision

eye twitch

knee, shoulder pain for no reason

burning in stomach (lower right hand side)

diarrhea attacks VERY shortly after eating

cramping

sweating

pale skin

increased appetite without weight gain

racing heart

trouble breathing

manic depressant

suicidal thoughts

chest pains

acid reflux

discolored teeth

I was diagnosed with nerve damage in my brain a few months back by a neurologitst. I kept fainting everytime I worked out hard and my heart rate would jump to abnormally high levels, all backed by severe migraines and fatigue. My fear is how fast the symptoms keep coming at me. Everyday I discover something new. I had a few beers last saturday night, and I was honestly in the house for three days, dragging myself around. I skipped classes and felt so sick, like the worst hangover but it didnt go away for days. And I only had 5 beers.

I have suspected celiac for many years now, but I was too afraid to get it checked out. Can celiac, in its advanced stages, begin attacking me as I feel it is? And if so, does this pose a major threat to me? Because at the moment, I can feel my body turning on me. I don't feel so well anymore, not like a 21 year old should.

(by the way, my blood test results should be in by early next week to tell me whether or not I have celiac)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice

Basically, celiac is something to only be worried about if you're not planning to follow the diet. On the diet, a lot of the damage is reversible.

Pauliina

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I'm a 21 year old college student/varsity athlete and I have been diagnosed with a strep infection (Scarlet Fever) 3 times in two months, and I have a constant rash on my face, knees, and hands. My skin is so dry. Here are some of my symptoms:

graying hair

hair loss

migraines

fatigue

sleep paralysis

fear of leaving my house

blurred vision

eye twitch

cramping

sweating

pale skin

racing heart

trouble breathing

manic depressant

suicidal thoughts

chest pains

acid reflux

discolored teeth

I was diagnosed with nerve damage in my brain a few months back by a neurologitst. I kept fainting everytime I worked out hard and my heart rate would jump to abnormally high levels, all backed by severe migraines and fatigue. My fear is how fast the symptoms keep coming at me. Everyday I discover something new. I had a few beers last saturday night, and I was honestly in the house for three days, dragging myself around. I skipped classes and felt so sick, like the worst hangover but it didnt go away for days. And I only had 5 beers.

I have suspected celiac for many years now, but I was too afraid to get it checked out. Can celiac, in its advanced stages, begin attacking me as I feel it is? And if so, does this pose a major threat to me? Because at the moment, I can feel my body turning on me. I don't feel so well anymore, not like a 21 year old should.

(by the way, my blood test results should be in by early next week to tell me whether or not I have celiac)

First off don't trust those blood tests unless they are positive. Way, way too many false negatives out there. Why not try the gluten-free diet for a couple of months? That is the real gold standard. You could also check with Enterolab for their tests they seem to be the most reliable. In addition I used to get drunk and have hangovers from NA beer, gluten does some awful things to the body and the brain. Celiac is nothing to be afraid of, what is scarey is how many of us suffer needlessly and for years before it's diagnosed. It can ruin your life if not addressed, physically and emotionally, get it ruled out.

jerseyangel Proficient

Alex--The symptoms you describe could very well point in the Celiac direction. I'm glad you had the blood work, and if it is indeed Celiac, you should be happy to have found out! The gluten-free diet will begin to allow your body and system to heal, many of your symptoms will begin to subside. Celiac is a lifelong autoimmune disorder--but is very treatable with the diet. Gluten causes the immune response that in turn causes the symptoms. You will need to remove all traces of gluten from your life--this includes food, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, makeup, medicines and cross contamination from your own kitchen surfaces and restaurants. Like Paulina said--the only danger where Celiac is concerned is with not being gluten-free. If your tests are neg., you may want to try gluten-free for a while anyway and see if it makes a difference. (If you plan to have a biopsy, don't try gluten-free until after!) Good luck and keep us posted :)

alex361 Newbie

Thanks everyone. That eases my worry. I was watching television yesterday and the narrator says, "he finally lost his battle with celiac disease, and died at 24." That got me worrying. But I have already embarked on my gluten free diet and I will let you all know how it goes.

CMCM Rising Star
Thanks everyone. That eases my worry. I was watching television yesterday and the narrator says, "he finally lost his battle with celiac disease, and died at 24." That got me worrying. But I have already embarked on my gluten free diet and I will let you all know how it goes.

Alex, you are lucky because you are only 21. Somehow you were led in this direction, and while celiac may not be the answer, you would be smart to check it out. If you are celiac, the solution is clear: be completely gluten free for the rest of your life. If you are celiac, you more than likely have other assorted sensitivities...they tend to occur in groups. Perhaps dairy is also a problem, as it is for many. So you would need to stay alert to the possibility of other sensitivities.

As a note of encouragement, my mom was sick for a long time but never got diagnosed until in her 40's and nearly died from malabsorption (she weighed 80 lbs, where her normal weight is about 120). On the gluten free diet she recovered very very quickly, put back on all her lost weight, her intestines healed. Last week she just celebrated her 85th birthday and she's happy and healthy and looks much younger than she is. So celiac disease does not have to have a bad ending. What is bad is to not know you have it and continue to eat gluten for years and years. This is especially true if you are a person who doesn't have many of the usual symptoms.

So if you do find that you have celiac disease, consider yourself lucky that you found out early. After being on the diet for a period of time, you will no longer have celiac disease....what you will then have is the predisposition to it, and you would get it again only if you eat the "trigger" food, which is gluten.

plantime Contributor

If the guy lost his battle with celiac and died at 24, chances are he was not following the diet properly. Early death and illnesses from celiac can be completely avoided just by adhering to a totally gluten free diet. It is not something to be afraid of, just something to do for your own health!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ruth52 Newbie

I have Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) and most of the symptoms you describe are also classic Hyperthyroid.

Have you had your TSH, FT4 & FT3 tested? Untreated hyperthyroidism can also be extremely debilitating.

Many Celiacs also suffer from thyroid problems.

Hope you feel better soon.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
As a note of encouragement, my mom was sick for a long time but never got diagnosed until in her 40's and nearly died from malabsorption (she weighed 80 lbs, where her normal weight is about 120). On the gluten free diet she recovered very very quickly, put back on all her lost weight, her intestines healed. Last week she just celebrated her 85th birthday and she's happy and healthy and looks much younger than she is. So celiac disease does not have to have a bad ending. What is bad is to not know you have it and continue to eat gluten for years and years. This is especially true if you are a person who doesn't have many of the usual symptoms.

As a late diagnosis celiac who lives in fear of what this did to my body before we knew I have to say thanks for posting this. It gives me hope, something I have not had much of lately.

alex361 Newbie
I have Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) and most of the symptoms you describe are also classic Hyperthyroid.

Have you had your TSH, FT4 & FT3 tested? Untreated hyperthyroidism can also be extremely debilitating.

Many Celiacs also suffer from thyroid problems.

Hope you feel better soon.

thanks a lot for this tip. I just read the symptoms, and the shaking hands is a red flag for me. I was in class this past fall and my heart started pounding and I started sweating. But what alerted me most was the way my hands trembled uncontrollably. The scary thing is how athletic I am and that alarmed the doctors, so they sent me to a cardiologist. Because I am a high level ski racer, with many head injuries on my resume, I was also sent to a neurologist who diagnosed me with nerve damage, affecting my heart, my vision, and my balance. I often have tingling sensations on my left side. But, I have been back to him for 2 follow ups, both of which showed no change in my condition. I often have shooting pains in my heart, nauseau when I lie down, and a burning in my chest and stomach. he thought I had an ulcer. I know I have acid reflux. People just say its in my head, that I'm a hypochondriac. You know when things just don't feel right and you know it isnt all in your head? Nothign is adding up for me and it is frustrating because I am not allowed to compete right now and I can barely concentrate on my school work because my eyes twitch. Anyway, I think I might just be ranting here....thanks for the tip on graves disease, I'll run it by my doctor.

Guest Robbin

You are allowed to rant here! Welcome. I am glad you are actively searching for answers on your own. I have many of the same symptoms you have and have never had a head injury. Try going gluten-free no matter what the blood test results are. Keep your spirits up, and we are all here to hold each other up.

Alex, anytime you have questions, the fantastic people here are so helpful. Take care & God bless.

:)

( Also I thank you also CMCM, FOR THE POST REGARDING YOUR MOM!! I am greatly encouraged as well, since I have been sick for most of my 45 years, and am hoping for at least a partial recovery and to see my grandbabies!! ) :)

eleanor fitton Newbie

hi. im 23 and have almost the exact same sympoms as you. getting worse almost every day as you say. and the alcohol problem - that's beyond a joke... one bottle of beer and im dead for 3 days. awful. thought it was a candida infection and the yeast in the beer. but it seems i was wrong and my doctor suspects celiacs disease.

what i wanted to say though was go and get yourself tested for thyroid problems and vitamin b deficiency as well. i had thyroid and liver enzyme tests and they told us i had a thyroid problem as well as vitamin b anemia (caused by celiac malabsorbtion - or so the quack thinks). i have started on thyroxine and no longer feel so depressed. in combination with a gluten free diet i am feeling like a new person. its absolutely amazing. plus i will soon start on the vitamin b12 replacement which should help even more as the amemia can cause most of the symptoms i was having (extreme dizziness, fainting, constipation, etc).

i cant tell you how much it has helped going on the thyroxine though. plus the gluten free diet - it's been a wonder cure. just try the tests and see what happens.

graying hair

hair loss

migraines

fatigue

sleep paralysis

fear of leaving my house

blurred vision

eye twitch

cramping

sweating

pale skin

racing heart

trouble breathing

manic depressant

suicidal thoughts

chest pains

acid reflux

discolored teeth

CMCM Rising Star
As a late diagnosis celiac who lives in fear of what this did to my body before we knew I have to say thanks for posting this. It gives me hope, something I have not had much of lately.

I'm in the same boat as you....despite having my mother as an example, I thought most of my life my odds were low (that's what doctors used to say) and that I had escaped it because I did not react like my mom did. So I just found out in January, and I'm 56! So I have to worry about what damage was done all these years. I'm just amazed I didn't put 2 and 2 together years ago....but the information just wasn't out there, there wasn't an internet until relatively recently, doctors generally didn't know and still don't know, so what can you do?

I recently asked Enterolab, where I did my testing, how I could have 2 genes, have the high antibody scores, have evidence of autoimmune activity, yet have such a low malabsorption score (I had 64 where <300 is considered OK). Their answer was that since I had been on a relatively gluten free diet for a long time (I ate gluten things from time to time, but not daily and not regularly and always in small amounts), perhaps I had at one time been worse but things had healed to the point where I was in testing. So that's a positive thing! :rolleyes:

Archived