This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New - More Symptoms

pir8ped

pir8ped Newbie

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed, and had an enteroscopy. I have been a few days gluten-free, but keep having little accidents ( the last being licking the stamp on the letter I was sending to join the Coeliac society (UK) - we like our irony over here! ).

Anyway, I am not sure if one of the symptoms I am getting is part of coeliac. Dry nose, eyes, mouth, skin. Pretty uncomfortable. I did have a couple of weeks gluten free a while ago (but then went back onto gluten before the enteroscopy ). I think there was some improvement. But I haven't seen this dryness associated with Celiac on this forum or anywhere else. In fact, the only association I came up with is Sjogrin's syndrome, whch seems to be connected to celiac.

Does anyone else get this dryness - or do I need to find a new forum for that??

Thanks,

John Pedersen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Yes, I've been having exactly those problems--but I'm not yet officially diagnosed with celiac. I'm trying to drink a lot for the dry mouth (licorice herbal tea seems to help) and use baby oil for the dry skin. I also seem to get a rash if I take a hot shower (lukewarm doesn't cause it). I wear soft contact lenses, which dry out easily. If I need to go out after dinner, I take them out and soak them for a few minutes.

Until I saw yor post, I had assumed that it had nothing to do with celiac. Oops, guess I was wrong on that one! There seems no end to the list of problems caused by celiac. :angry:

pir8ped Newbie

OK, that's two of us.

Anyone had this dryness, and then it goes away when they have been gluten-free for a while?

That would be nice....

aikiducky Apprentice

I didn't have it to the extent that you two seem to, but I know my skin has gotten better after gluten-free. I can easily skip moisturising my face for a couple days without problems, before gluten-free I used to be religious about it. :)

Pauliina

ravenwoodglass Mentor
OK, that's two of us.

Anyone had this dryness, and then it goes away when they have been gluten-free for a while?

That would be nice....

It did for me. My dr's attributed my dry eyes, mouth (so bad the first few bites of food were extrememly painful when the salivary glands activated), to one or more of my many different meds (none of which I have to take anymore). I didn't realize it was really the gluten until I had been gluten-free awhile and then got glutened.

pir8ped Newbie

Thanks Ravenglass! That's what I was hoping to hear. Coeliac is bad enough without wondering what else might be wrong too! I'll just carry on with the gluten-free diet then and see how it goes.

John

TestyTommy Rookie

I've had extremely dry skin, eyes, mouth, etc. for years. I don't know if it's connected to celiac, but I hope so. I've been gluten-free for about 6 weeks. My stomach problems and sleep problems have improved a lot over that time, but I've seen no change in the dryness. It was the first symptom I noticed --- almost 8 years ago now --- so I figure it may be the last to resolve.

Again, don't know if it is related to celiac, or if it is some other condition that preceded (and triggered?) the celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jeagbenne Newbie

I haven't been diagnosed with full blown celiac but I do have gluten sensitivity. I have horribly dry skin, especially when I consume gluten (usually by accident). I try to be religious about lotion but I work in a laboratory and so wash my hands all the time. It's so bad that I break out is rashes just because my skin is so dry. My eyes are horribly dry and I'm thirsty all the time, (and not to mention dryness in a particularly personal area). I do know that after about six months of being gluten-free my dryness started getting better and I didn't need to moisturize quite as much. I'm not sure if that's a symptom of gluten intolerance, but alot of us seem to have this problem, so that's proof enough for me!

pir8ped Newbie

I forgot to mention that along with the dryness, I was thirsty all the time, and drinking pints of water provided only mild relief.

Anway, it has been about 5-6 days with no gluten, and my eyes are wet ( they feel pleasantly cool all the time - I guess I got used to them feeling hot, as well as the dryness ) and the thirst is gone.

TestyTommy Rookie

Oh yes, I also forgot to mention the unquenchable thirst. When I first got sick, I said that it felt like all of the water had been sucked out of my body. Since going gluten-free, my thirst has definitely diminished. Since I've had the skin problems for so long, I expect it will take a long time to heal. But you folks have helped make me feel more optimistic. Thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I haven't been diagnosed with full blown celiac but I do have gluten sensitivity. I have horribly dry skin, especially when I consume gluten (usually by accident). I try to be religious about lotion but I work in a laboratory and so wash my hands all the time. It's so bad that I break out is rashes just because my skin is so dry. My eyes are horribly dry and I'm thirsty all the time, (and not to mention dryness in a particularly personal area). I do know that after about six months of being gluten-free my dryness started getting better and I didn't need to moisturize quite as much. I'm not sure if that's a symptom of gluten intolerance, but alot of us seem to have this problem, so that's proof enough for me!

Are your gloves powdered? Is your soap gluten-free? My house is full of pets which I am allergic to so I wash my hands constantly. They would end up red with the lines being a stark white and real chapped. I checked all my soaps, dish and personal and switched to brands that I know are gluten-free. I still wash my hands just as much as before but now they are unaffected. Check your gloves and your soaps and lotions to be sure of the gluten statis it may help.

Archived