This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab

momandgirls

momandgirls Enthusiast

Hi - For anyone who's used Enterolab...was it recommended by your doctor or did you find out about it on your own? I was diagnosed with IBS 12 years ago and my daughter was recently diagnosed. I had the bloodwork done last week - according to my doctor - all were normal except for one (I think it was IgA). He was less than helpful. I asked if he knew about Enterolab and he hadn't and said that, even though he knew nothing about it, there was no way it was a valid lab. Just wondering about other's experiences. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

My experience was that the doctors knew nothing about Enterolab (had never heard of it). Its not surprising since they knew very little about Celiac period. My doctor had never ordered Celiac bloodtests before and didnt even know what to order. This was an HMO.

Now I'm seeing a different doctor (more of a naturopath). He's more up to date about gluten intolerance. Just the other day he gave a free 1 1/2 hour lecture about Celiac/gluten intolerance...which he does every so often. Anyways he feels that Enterolab is valid. I guess it would depend on how involved the doctor is in researching the disease. My doctor specializes in it whereas my previous doctors probably studied about Celiac for 5 minutes in med school.

CMCM Rising Star
Hi - For anyone who's used Enterolab...was it recommended by your doctor or did you find out about it on your own? I was diagnosed with IBS 12 years ago and my daughter was recently diagnosed. I had the bloodwork done last week - according to my doctor - all were normal except for one (I think it was IgA). He was less than helpful. I asked if he knew about Enterolab and he hadn't and said that, even though he knew nothing about it, there was no way it was a valid lab. Just wondering about other's experiences. Thanks.

My feeling is that any doctor who had at least a modicum of knowledge about celiac disease would also know about the existence of Enterolab. I found out about it very easily and quickly. It is mentioned in at least TWO books about celiac disease. A doctor who has never heard of it has not bothered to do much research about celiac disease, period.

I urge you to NOT believe a doctor knows everything. The fact is, in medical school doctors barely touch on celiac disease except in passing...it is presented as a rare syndrome with a specific set of "classic" symptoms which are actually not all that typical in reality. So if your doctor can't discuss celiac disease in detail, which I'll bet 99.9% cannot, you are on your own.

You can save yourself a lot of time and money by using Enterolab. A full celiac panel including gene testing and casein sensitivity testing is now $369. It's done via a special kit they send you....you collect a stool sample plus there are two swab type things for the gene test (rub one swab on your left inner cheek, another swab on your right cheek). The kit includes overnight shipping back to them....you call DHL one day and the next day they pick up your kit at your house. Best to have pickup on a Monday or Tuesday to be sure Enterolab gets it before the weekend. It couldn't be easier. You get emailed results in about 2 weeks, and THEN YOU KNOW A LOT OF INFORMATION! If things come up positive, if you have the genes, then you start the gluten free diet. By the way, this test also includes a casein sensitivity test because many celiacs are also casein sensitive, so you'll learn that too. You don't need a clueless doctor to do endless and expensive blood tests and endoscopies and biopsies to tell you that you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, and doing tests with a doctor to find out what Enterolab tells you would cost far more money that you would believe. Why go through the emotion and expense of all that when it can be so simple and cheap?

Look at it this way: Blood tests AND biopsies are frequently inconclusive. Many of us here have had previously negative blood tests yet with Enterolab the antibodies were shown to be there. And we learned we had the gene. Plus with the gene test you KNOW if you have the predisposition in the first place. It's a win-win situation.

There's lots of information on the Enterolab website: www.enterolab.com

You have to be your own best advocate with celiac disease, believe me. It's hard to believe sometimes because there actually is a LOT of knowledge and information out there on celiac disease, but somehow the vast majority of doctors just don't have the information.

As an example....my 85 year old mom, who was diagnosed by a brilliant doctor nearly 40 years ago when celiac was REALLY unknown to the medical community....she was recently told by her GP at an HMO that a "little bit of gluten" wouldn't hurt her. He needs to see her reaction in the middle of the night when she accidentally gets glutened! :angry:

DOCTORS DON'T KNOW AND THEY DON'T BOTHER TO FIND OUT!!

Archived