#1 crackrick

crackrick

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

Sorry for the blunt title.

I'm very recently diagnosed, and am adjusting to the gluten-free diet (I'm also type-1 diabetic). Adjusting hasn't been too big of a problem. But, I have always had stomach issues, and it seems that they've persisted since going gluten-free a week and a half ago. I'm eating very bland meals, but still seem to be having bad IBS symptoms and all the celiac-related stomach issues I've read about (bloating, gurgling, urgency, etc).
My question is this: what have you found helps in easing the problem? Are fiber (bulk-forming) pills a no-no? I had some success with those in the past (pre Dx), but didn't know if those may contain gluten.
I've been with little sleep the past 3 nights, as I've been back-and-forth to the bathroom, and it continues throughout the day.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:08 AM

Hi Patrick,

Eat whole foods like brown rice, fresh vegetables, and fruit, and balance them with a bit of meat. Avoid eating too many nuts at one time because they can cause diarrhea. Raw foods can also be a bit harsh on the digestive system, so you might want to really cook your foods good until your intestines heal up a bit.

Avoid processed foods. They are, and have always been unhealthy. When food is finely chopped up and cooked, it destroys all itís healthy qualities.

In the U.S. producing processed foods employs tons of people. Processed foods are rich for the economy, and poor for peopleís bodies. A single package of processed food can employ over a thousand people. Look at the label and count up the ingredients. Each ingredient has to be farmed, transported, processed, and then re-processed. It is in the American psyche that processed food is something good because of the riches it creates.

Go shopping in a third world market and you will find the ratio of processed food to whole food astounding. Not only that, but the shoppers ignore what little processed food there is. Now go shopping in a developed country market. Not only is there very little whole food, it is the whole food that is ignored. Iíve watched people in third world pick up packages of processed foods and was surprised at their reactions to it. They treat is as if it were garbage, and not even worth their time. I remember my first time shopping in a third world market, and how upset I was that there wasnít any real food (processed) to be found. Today I have that same reaction to developed country markets. Itís upsetting how little real food (whole) there is.

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:07 PM

Have you tried any Pepto Bismol? It helps me when I have severe diarrhea. If it is only mild I tend to go without medication, but if it is interefering with your sleep and such, then you might want to try some.

Thomas had a lot of good advice, and also it takes a bit longer than a week for the symptoms to start improving in most people. Especially since it sounds as if it may have been quite severe for you before your diagnosis. Give it time and follow a very simple diet of whole foods. You might want to go a bit light on the fruit, since it might increase the loose stool. Also if you are still on dairy I would suggest cutting ALL dairy products for the next two weeks. This might help a lot since the tips of the villi is the part that digests milk and those are most likely damaged. By cutting dairy it will help your intestines heal quicker and then you will be able to get some relief from these awful symptoms.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: