This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Doing Scd?

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I just finished antiobiotics for c-diff bacteria overgrowth and I also have candida overgrowth and dysbiosis. My doctor has me taking different probiotics trying to restore normal flora. I'm thinking if there was ever a good time to start this diet its now. I bought the book today and the diet is not as strict as the candida diet I was on last year. I get to eat cheese. :)

Anyways I have some questions for those of you who've done this already.

1. How soon did you notice improvement?

2. I dont have Diarreah. Does this mean I still have to do an intro to the diet?

3. I bought the dry curd cottage cheese she talks about in the book. How do I know for sure its the right stuff. I got it at Whole Foods and its in a little tub (farmers cheese). It lists pastureized skim milk, cream & salt on the lid. I dont want to be eating the wrong stuff and not benefiting from the diet.

4. Is it really ok to eat honey? Why is it ok? Wont it feed yeast and bacteria? I ate some and then I felt dizzy. Right now I'm a little brain-fogged from it. :huh: I havent been eating anything sweet recently other than pears and apples so maybe its a shock to my system? :unsure:

5. Do you also check into your meds? I take thyroid meds and I'm sure its got some kind of starch in it but I have to take it. Does this negate the whole diet?

6. I used to make my own yogurt and I have a yogurt maker already. I used to make my yogurt with goats milk....in the book she says cows milk is ok. Which milk is the best to use for the yogurt?

8. Did the diet work for you? Any tips?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nancym Enthusiast
1. How soon did you notice improvement?
I didn't do the intro and I kind of "eased" into the diet so really, it took me about 2 weeks. I was eating nuts and things I still have trouble with.

2. I dont have Diarreah. Does this mean I still have to do an intro to the diet?
The way I intrepreted it was no, since she said follow it until the diarrhea stops.

3. I bought the dry curd cottage cheese she talks about in the book. How do I know for sure its the right stuff. I got it at Whole Foods and its in a little tub (farmers cheese). It lists pastureized skim milk, cream & salt on the lid. I dont want to be eating the wrong stuff and not benefiting from the diet.

I was reading some yahoo list somewhere (pecanbread?) and they said that the Friendship brand of farmer's cheese is correct. Is that what you got?

4. Is it really ok to eat honey? Why is it ok? Wont it feed yeast and bacteria? I ate some and then I felt dizzy. Right now I'm a little brain-fogged from it. :huh: I havent been eating anything sweet recently other than pears and apples so maybe its a shock to my system? :unsure:
The theory is that any monosacchride is ok because the human digestion handles it. Anything with 2 or more molecules of sugars gets down to the gut and feeds the villains lurking within. So honey is fructose which is a monosacchride.

5. Do you also check into your meds? I take thyroid meds and I'm sure its got some kind of starch in it but I have to take it. Does this negate the whole diet?
Hope not! I have the same issue. I doubt we could find it starch/sugar free.

6. I used to make my own yogurt and I have a yogurt maker already. I used to make my yogurt with goats milk....in the book she says cows milk is ok. Which milk is the best to use for the yogurt?
I use coconut milk. :)

8. Did the diet work for you? Any tips?
Yeah, I really like it. It is helping me figure out what all I can't digest. The list is still growing. *sigh* I seem to be able to tolerate some things a little better now, rice and a bit of corn. Not that I eat it often, but once every now and then I do go out to eat and get some. I'm not feeling like I was glutened afterwards, like I was before.

Right now I eat meat, eggs and veggies for the most part. I do have 1-2 pieces of fruit each day. I think nut butters aren't agreeing with me yet. I'm not 100% on all the rules 100% of the time, yet I think it is helping. Plus, I just found out I have another autoimmune disease that might be caused by a gut bug! So I think it is really important for me to be as good as I can be to starve that sucker.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hey Nancy!

I remember you were starting the diet....I was hoping you'd answer some of my questions. :D

YAY! I think I got the right dry curd stuff....it's called "friendship" farmers cheese. :)

I ate Swiss cheese tonight for the first time in like a year. It was really good. I was missing cheese alot. This diet is much easier than the candida diet but the honey still confuses me because it was absolutely forbidden on the candida diet...but then again...so was fruit. <_< I hope Elaine is right because I don't wanna be feeding my candida.

Arent you suppossed to avoid rice and corn on the diet? I've been eating tons of rice lately and I know its worsened my problems. All the grains were messing me up...I didnt want to give up rice but now I'm just tired of getting nowhere. I wanna Break the Vicious Cycle....dammit!

I saw your post about that other autoimmune disease...it was something I'd never heard of. I think these gut "bugs" wreak all kinds of havoc. I was wondering though....if you have a pathogentic "bug" how can the diet do anything to get rid of something like that? For example...I have C-Diff overgrowth but nothing can kill it except 2 specific antibiotics. So if I never knew about the C-Diff I could be on the diet forever but how would it get me better? :unsure:

I'm hoping the antibiotic treatment did its job and that the SCD will help me get the correct balance back faster and also prevent a relapse. I'm going to retest in 30 days to see if the infections gone.

I'm also a little concerned about losing weight but since I havent been able to gain anything in so long I suppose the most important thing is to correct the dysbiosis so I can heal. Hopefully then I'll start gaining.

How are you making coconut milk yogurt? Is the consistency anything like yogurt?

I'm excited about getting started on the diet. I bought 3 new books today but I'm definately reading this one first. It was the last straw for me last night when I ate rice and got unbearable cramps and "D" that had me in tears. I dont know if its from the c-diff or what but I dont want it to happen again...so I started SCD this morning.

CMCM Rising Star

I think I'm going to do the SCD as well, I'm just having too many problems with all sorts of things, including rice (which I thought was supposed to be so benign to the system). Since I can't have dairy either, I'm going to try the coconut milk yogurt...I've got to locate the post here somewhere that tells how to do it. I think it was 2 cans of coconut milk, some gelatin and some honey, but can't remember the amounts or the procedure....

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Since I can't have dairy either, I'm going to try the coconut milk yogurt...I've got to locate the post here somewhere that tells how to do it. I think it was 2 cans of coconut milk, some gelatin and some honey, but can't remember the amounts or the procedure....

I found Nancy's recipe on the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" thread. My Enterolab was negative for casein intolerance so I'm gonna probably use Goats milk for now. I've made it in the past and liked it. I used to have problems with cheese so havent eaten it in a long time but I must be somewhat improved because I had no reaction from the cheese at all.

I have problems with pretty much all the illegal foods and tests have proven bacteria overgrowth so I think the diet makes sense. My symptoms noticeably worsen when I eat any of the disaccharides and I've always felt like I'm not digesting the foods and then I end up feeling very toxic. Have you read the book yet?

CMCM Rising Star
I found Nancy's recipe on the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" thread. My Enterolab was negative for casein intolerance so I'm gonna probably use Goats milk for now. I've made it in the past and liked it. I used to have problems with cheese so havent eaten it in a long time but I must be somewhat improved because I had no reaction from the cheese at all.

I have problems with pretty much all the illegal foods and tests have proven bacteria overgrowth so I think the diet makes sense. My symptoms noticeably worsen when I eat any of the disaccharides and I've always felt like I'm not digesting the foods and then I end up feeling very toxic. Have you read the book yet?

I found the book about a week ago when I was in Barnes & Noble, so I bought it. It was so fascinating I read thru the whole thing in one evening. It just makes so much sense to me! Now I'm going to go back through it and figure out how to plan my eating, especially how to eliminate the dairy and still get what I need food-wise. I think one reason it appeals to me is that over the years, before I knew what was behind my digestive issues, I really instinctively had pared down my diet to relatively few things, so the SCD diet isn't all that alien to my own experience. This book is a more systematic approach to the whole thing, and definitely do-able for a period of time.

dlp252 Apprentice

I've been thinking of trying this for some time now, but just haven't done it. I've printed off a bunch of stuff from the website, but think I will look for the book. Rachel, like you I was on the anti-candida, anti-yeast diet for several months so I'll look forward to see what you think of this one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Here's a link to my non-dairy yogurt method on another web site: Open Original Shared Link

Yeah, you're not supposed to have corn or rice. I do when I go out to eat, very infrequently.

I just made almond meal pancakes this morning and topped them with berries and lemon curd. My one area where I kind of cheat is with splenda. I use liquid splenda that doesn't have the maltodextrin in it. Shouldn't be anything there to feed any bacteria.

I saw your post about that other autoimmune disease...it was something I'd never heard of. I think these gut "bugs" wreak all kinds of havoc. I was wondering though....if you have a pathogentic "bug" how can the diet do anything to get rid of something like that? For example...I have C-Diff overgrowth but nothing can kill it except 2 specific antibiotics. So if I never knew about the C-Diff I could be on the diet forever but how would it get me better?

Well, I'm going by what this one guy writes about the LSD (low-starch diet) and the K. pnumonea bacteria, I haven't really read everything yet but here's some of his studies: Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Reduced Starch Diet

It has been demonstrated that altering the normal diet to exclude foods which contain higher levels of starch, can significantly reduce the quantity of K. pneumoniae in the feces of all individuals (5). The implication is that the balance of intestinal florae can be altered to the extent that much fewer bacteria are available to cross the intestinal mucosa and elicit the production of IgA.

The low starch diet has been employed extensively in the treatment of AS at the AS Clinic located at Middlesex Hospital in London, under studies conducted by Dr Alan Ebringer (5). In these studies, significant reduction in IgA was obtained by reducing dietary starches by 40%, and a corresponding decrease in ESR was achieved by patients suffering from AS. This measure usually results in a considerable decrease of symptoms, typically unto effective remission. In patients unable to assiduously follow the low starch regimen, supplemental NSAID usage is required, however, most of the more recalcitrant cases could be treated using just the diet and the drug sulphasalazine. This has usually obviated the need for more powerful NSAIDs, avoiding their deleterious side effects (5).

Interesting... they apparently decided the high IgA was due to Kp bacteria and that eliminating starch eliminated the bacteria from the digestion. However I think maybe their real issue is they're intolerant of food's they're eating, like wheat, which causes intestinal permeability and lets the Kp into the blood stream. I don't really know what happens once it gets into the blood stream, but these folks are saying that the diet really helps their symptoms. He was actually fasting to get flares to subside.

Rachel, I could swear the BVC book deals with candida. Doesn't she mention how it deals with that?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thats interesting. I'm really starting to believe these "bugs" cause a lot of health problems when they overgrow and start damaging the intestines. The correct balance is essential for good health. No wonder my doctor is always looking for bacteria infections and "bugs" for underlying causes in disease.

I know I get way better if I fast but I cant do it because I'd lose weight. I get major flare-ups from starches and carbohydrates. It makes sense that not feeding the bad bacteria will help with symptoms.

I'm totally excited about all the recipes in the book but I'm not gonna be able to make anything for awhile. I wanna hold off on the almond meal until I start feeling good. If the diet works for me I'll probably buy the cookbook.

Yeah...she does mention yeast in the book but every candida book I've ever read is all about NO fruit or honey. I'm not gonna worry about it though because my doctor says candida is not the main concern. I have to get rid of the big problems and then the candida should naturally be reduced. Hope he's right.

CMCM Rising Star

I made my coconut yogurt tonight, so now it's got to percolate for a day. I only had some left-over packets of Yogourmet starter, which apparently has some sort of dairy in it, so I guess I need to find a non-dairy starter somewhere. Anyone know of one?

The coconut milk smelled good, and definitely had a coconut smell to it...which is great because I love coconut. I'm eager to see how the yogurt turns out! :P

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Rachel - I don't know what the SCD diet is (but will research) but I do hope that between that and HOPEFULLY curing your c. diff and other bacteria that you will be feeling SO much better soon! :D I lost a ton of weight during my siege wtih c. diff and didn't have it nearly as long as you seem to have had it....

Nancym Enthusiast

I'm having problems with nuts, I think. :\ I might be able to eat them occassionally but having them too many days in a row is leading to problems. I had some almonds yesterday and today my abdomen is hugely distended. I've heard some people do well by soaking them, then roasting them. I might try that.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I'm having problems with nuts, I think. :\ I might be able to eat them occassionally but having them too many days in a row is leading to problems. I had some almonds yesterday and today my abdomen is hugely distended. I've heard some people do well by soaking them, then roasting them. I might try that.

Yeah...I dont do well with nuts either. I'm gonna avoid them until all symptoms are gone (if that ever happens) and then slowly reintroduce them. I also need to avoid dairy so I probably wont be making the yogurt yet. I tend to go overboard. I ate a whole block of swiss cheese in less than 24 hours...after not having dairy for awhile. It was good until I realized I overdid it and started getting symptoms.

I lost a ton of weight during my siege wtih c. diff and didn't have it nearly as long as you seem to have had it....

Were you able to regain your weight right away or did it take awhile?

dlp252 Apprentice

Carole, I'm interested in your coconut yogurt...does it taste good, lol? Also, has anyone tried with alternative milks like almond milk?

Nancym Enthusiast
Carole, I'm interested in your coconut yogurt...does it taste good, lol? Also, has anyone tried with alternative milks like almond milk?

I haven't tried it with almond milk. But I just bought almond and intend to try it. That link I posted gave my method for making non-dairy yogurt and there are instructions on how to make nut milks too.

dlp252 Apprentice
I haven't tried it with almond milk. But I just bought almond and intend to try it. That link I posted gave my method for making non-dairy yogurt and there are instructions on how to make nut milks too.

Thanks Nancy, I just went and looked at the link...I used to post on that board too! :)

CMCM Rising Star

Has anyone read anything about why you would peel fruit (like apples) and not eat the peel? I love to make applesauce....I usually just whap an apple corer/slicer thru an apple, cut the pieces into chunks, and throw them into a slow cooker. It will be a lot more time consuming to peel the apples, and besides, the applesauce tastes so good with the peel on it!

PreOptMegs Explorer

First off let me start by saying I am so happy that you are on this diet. You WILL heal if you stick strictly to the diet. As for the questions:

1. improvement for me happened about 2 weeks after starting with the homemade yogurt. I was on the regular diet for a few weeks waiting for the yogurt maker, but after I started with that, everything was awesome! It is a MUST.

2.. I didn't have "D" either, but the intro diet is a must. It cleans you out. I know it sucks that for two days straight you eat pureed mush carrots and plain burgers, but it needs to happen.

3.. I have never bought DCCC... I just eat the other cheeses listed like swiss and mild cheddar.

4. Honey is a monosaccharide like glucose. It needs no converting into smaller molecules by the enzymes and bacteria in your guts, so it is just taken straight to your mitochondria for energy production. SOrry for all of the science, but a long story short is that it is fine for you and if you don't eat much sugar usually, then you could definately have a sugar shock if you will to your system.

5. I take synthroid every morning. I found this did not hinder my healing one bit. I also take Vitalert multivitamins. They are awesome and on the label it says like no added starch, gluten, egg... I get them from Wal-Mart.

6. I use skim milk for the yogurt and it is plenty thick for me. I pretty much drink the stuff.

7. The diet is amazing and it will heal you, but you cannot cheat under any circumstances or else healing will never really happen.

Hope this helps and ask if you have any more questions.

CMCM- You cannot eat the peel at first because it is basically all fiber. Your newly renovated intestines cannot digest or handle the insoluble fiber like the peel, just the soluble fiber in the apple. If you eat things that you aren't ready for, then I find I have gas.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I was reading about the scd diet [briefly] this afternoon, I could not find anything regarding what symptoms its suppose to relieve? I did notice lots of references to Diarrhea which I don't have.

I'm so sick of dealing with this pain, bloating and gas I'm thinking of giving it a shot, though it did look VERY resticted.

I too have been eating a lot of rice and potatos since going gluten-free..thought it would help!

if you are one of the ppl doing the diet I would love to know what you eat in a normal day...dairy is ok on the scd? I can't have dairy. :angry:

just notice the post on eating all carrots and burgers..burgers give me so much pain I'm on the floor in tears for the whole night!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I found this site that talks about how the diet heals leaky gut.

This is the main reason I'm doing the diet. I have a VERY leaky gut and besides gluten intolerance I'm sensitive to salicylates, dairy, chemicals, and well... pretty much everything. Sometimes I start to get better and can tolerate things but I never found a diet to keep me going in the right direction. I think SCD is the key.

I also found a link about C-Diff on the SCD website.

I think the C-Diff infection might not have been killed by the antibiotics cuz I dont feel much better.

Oh well...maybe it takes awhile to recover.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

PreOptMegs,

Thank you so much for the advice. I know you've got some experience with this diet. The more I read...the more this diet makes sense. Nothing else has worked for correcting my dysbiosis. I didnt know I had C-Diff bacteria but now that its been diagnosed and treated (keeping fingers crossed) hopefully I can get my gut back to normal.

I dont have casein intolerance but I react strongly if I have too much....this is the case for pretty much all foods. I think I'll be ok with the carrots though. I actually eat them mashed everyday and like them. I only had a small amount of honey but reacted severely..I think its due to the salicylates. I react to foods high in salicylates. Suppossedly this problem will go away once I heal.

I've been off dairy for awhile but since swiss cheese was allowed I started eating it w/out incidence. Within 24 hrs. I had finished the whole block of cheese and the last slice triggered a reaction. :(

I'm not gonna do this again but am scared to do the yogurt now. Maybe I should wait a few weeks and only have small amounts every other day or something. Can I get by with not having it everyday?

I think I need to go very slow. Hopefully little by little I can tolerate larger quantities.

I definately wont cheat. I'm very committed to all the diets I've tried but unfortunately none of them did the trick. Now that I know what I'm dealing with as far as the bacteria overgrowth I think I'm going in the right direction with SCD. :)

Has anyone read anything about why you would peel fruit (like apples) and not eat the peel? I love to make applesauce

I've been peeling my fruit & some vegetables for the last 8 months because if I eat the skins it gives me symptoms. I never knew the reasoning behind it but PreOptMeg's explanation makes sense.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Yeah...I dont do well with nuts either. I'm gonna avoid them until all symptoms are gone (if that ever happens) and then slowly reintroduce them. I also need to avoid dairy so I probably wont be making the yogurt yet. I tend to go overboard. I ate a whole block of swiss cheese in less than 24 hours...after not having dairy for awhile. It was good until I realized I overdid it and started getting symptoms.

Were you able to regain your weight right away or did it take awhile?

It took probably 2 - 3 months to gain back the weight, I didn't have much of an appetite. I have been underweight for a while and started losing again before Celiac diagnosis. Now gaining on gluten-free diet. I remember also feeling really awful on the antibiotics for c-diff and it takes a few days, after finishing, to get THAT fully out of your system also.

Sending hugs!

ebrbetty Rising Star

would someone be willing to explain the symptoms of c-diff? the only thing I can find is very bad diarrhea

Rachel--24 Collaborator
would someone be willing to explain the symptoms of c-diff? the only thing I can find is very bad diarrhea

The typical and usual symptoms are extreme diarreah (many times with blood and mucus) during or following antibiotics. The diarreah could lead to hospitilization, dehydration, etc. It can be very serious. I did not have these symptoms. I had weight loss, loose stools and I was just very very ill. I think it made the environment in my intestines extremely toxic but never gave me the serious D. The toxins c-diff produces can damage the intestinal wall.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Ohhhhhh boy..... :blink: *my* experience - I think different from Rachel's - involved EXPLOSIVE and violent D which hit me very suddenly about three years ago. My bowels had been perfect to this point. I had been on massive steroids and antibiotics for this outrageous case of edemic/systemic poison oak. A few weeks later (after healthy bacteria had been wiped out of my intestines by all the drugs), I'm struck out of nowhere with THE most outlandish case of D and severe pain - unlike anything else ever in my life. SO SO sick - my mom had to come take care of me as I couldn't get out of bed except to go to bathroom - high fever and had to go to hospital for IV drip. Lost 20 pounds in two weeks. Cured by flagel (sp?).

BUT - - I think you can also have a more pernicious and lower grade form of it as well that lingers but is not so, um, explosive.....just leaves you chronically sick. That kind, I don't have experience wtih!

Susan

Archived