This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Doing Scd?

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
It took probably 2 - 3 months to gain back the weight, I didn't have much of an appetite. I have been underweight for a while and started losing again before Celiac diagnosis. Now gaining on gluten-free diet. I remember also feeling really awful on the antibiotics for c-diff and it takes a few days, after finishing, to get THAT fully out of your system also.

Sending hugs!

Thanks. I felt sooo bad while on the antibiotcs. It was the longest 2 weeks ever. :(

I was naseaus and had no appetite the entire time. I was also REALLY tired and somewhat depressed. I started feeling better the day after I finished the treatment....but I dont feel cured at all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DingoGirl Enthusiast
Thanks. I felt sooo bad while on the antibiotcs. It was the longest 2 weeks ever. :(

I was naseaus and had no appetite the entire time. I was also REALLY tired and somewhat depressed. I started feeling better the day after I finished the treatment....but I dont feel cured at all.

Oh dear.....I believe you just stopped taking antibiotics a day or two ago? They are really savage and very strong.....I am so sorry you don't feel cured, but *maybe* a few more days without those drugs will help.....praying that you'll feel better just being off that. I remember it WAS an awful two weeks on that drug! I felt even sicker and yes, depressed. Very tired. I even developed - this is gross - thrush on my tongue - another really pleasant and bizarre side-effect - ick :unsure:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
BUT - - I think you can also have a more pernicious and lower grade form of it as well that lingers but is not so, um, explosive.....just leaves you chronically sick. That kind, I don't have experience wtih!

Susan

I guess this is what I had. It started a few weeks after taking antibiotics. I started getting hotflashes, sweating, chills, headaches, noticed my wounds werent healing too well, looked kinda pale. Then started experiencing rapid hairloss. I figured it was cuz of my overactive thyroid although I'd never had symptoms so severe. I lost 25 lbs. but not as quickly as Sharon. Sometimes when the doc would take my temp. (during my many fruitless visits) I would have a low-grade fever but I always felt cold and clammy...not really feverish. It just got worse and worse over 3 years...the symptoms kept multiplying until I was pretty much bedridden and thought I was dying. By this time I had developed gluten intolerance, leaky gut, candida and whatever else I've got going on. I dont know if it was all triggered by the C-diff or what. I guess I could have had gluten intolerance with no symptoms which made me more vulnerable to the C-Diff. Who knows...its a chicken or egg question.

I felt even sicker and yes, depressed. Very tired. I even developed - this is gross - thrush on my tongue - another really pleasant and bizarre side-effect - ick :unsure:

Wow...you really went through alot at once. :(

Do you feel the C-Diff triggered your Celiac? I was worried about getting thrush but took plenty of probiotics...I think it helped.

CMCM Rising Star

Coconut milk yogurt disaster? I finished the yogurt and put it in the fridge....it was roughly 24 hours since I made it. But it's total liquid. I put about 3/4 packet of gelatin in, but it sure doesn't seem to have thickened it at all, unless the refrigeration will do the trick. I tasted it...seemed OK, but I sure wish it would thicken up. What did I do wrong, I wonder??

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Do you feel the C-Diff triggered your Celiac? I was worried about getting thrush but took plenty of probiotics...I think it helped.

(still not doing the reply thing right as you can see)

Rachel - I don't know if c-diff triggered Celiac but you know what, that's about when my bowels started slowlychanging. I just thought it was nerves. We have a doctor friend who says that Celiacs are more susceptible to c. diff - that makes sense to me. But my gosh - you've been dealign with this for that long??? How awful....it can only get better, right? :)

Blessings -

Susan

Rachel--24 Collaborator
We have a doctor friend who says that Celiacs are more susceptible to c. diff - that makes sense to me. But my gosh - you've been dealign with this for that long??? How awful....it can only get better, right? :)

Oh yeah...I know I'm gonna kick this thing....I have no doubts. Its gonna get a whole lot better! :D

My doctor said the same thing...that the gluten intolerance would have weakened my immune system and set me up for an infection like C-Diff. Theres no way to know for sure though....I sometimes find it hard to believe the gluten intolerance was always there because I was so healthy.

For using quotes just click on the "Reply button and the whole post will be quoted. You can delete whatever you want from inside the quote but dont mess with the computer mumbo jumbo stuff on top and bottom of quote. Thats what keeps the quote intact. Then you just type your response underneath (not inside the quote).

I'm not that great at explaining the technical stuff so hope this makes sense. :)

Nancym Enthusiast
Coconut milk yogurt disaster? I finished the yogurt and put it in the fridge....it was roughly 24 hours since I made it. But it's total liquid. I put about 3/4 packet of gelatin in, but it sure doesn't seem to have thickened it at all, unless the refrigeration will do the trick. I tasted it...seemed OK, but I sure wish it would thicken up. What did I do wrong, I wonder??

It has to set up a good 8 hours. This time I used only 3/4ths of a packet and it is still a little soupy. I'm still adjusting the gelatin trying to figure it out. You get too much and its like jello. :P I had some of my semi-soupy coco-yo on some berries and topped it with some "lemon curd". Fantastic!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CMCM Rising Star
It has to set up a good 8 hours. This time I used only 3/4ths of a packet and it is still a little soupy. I'm still adjusting the gelatin trying to figure it out. You get too much and its like jello. :P I had some of my semi-soupy coco-yo on some berries and topped it with some "lemon curd". Fantastic!

Nancy...would you mind posting your lemon curd recipe here....I searched for it on that other site but didn't see it. Thanks! That sounds good, that combination.

I thought of another question about the SCD type yogurt. Is the purpose of the yogurt mainly to get the good bacteria into us....and not really for any quality of the milk itself??? Since I can't have milk, I'm wondering if the other non-milk yogurts serve any particular purpose. I know the 24 hours was to get rid of all the lactose, but then again, that's not an issue with the non-milk yogurts....although something I read somewhere sounded like if you let it go for 24 hours you'll get a higher bacteria count in it, which is of course good in this case. Does this sound right? :blink:

dlp252 Apprentice

Following along with the good bacteria idea...I haven't finished reading the book yet, so maybe this is addressed somewhere, but why isn't just taking a probiotic okay? I'm going to try the coconut yogurt just because I miss having yogurt in the mornings (I can't seem to stomach anything in the mornings these days except my Bumble bars with nut butter, but that CAN'T be good for my digestion, lol).

Nancym Enthusiast
Nancy...would you mind posting your lemon curd recipe here....I searched for it on that other site but didn't see it. Thanks! That sounds good, that combination.

I thought of another question about the SCD type yogurt. Is the purpose of the yogurt mainly to get the good bacteria into us....and not really for any quality of the milk itself??? Since I can't have milk, I'm wondering if the other non-milk yogurts serve any particular purpose. I know the 24 hours was to get rid of all the lactose, but then again, that's not an issue with the non-milk yogurts....although something I read somewhere sounded like if you let it go for 24 hours you'll get a higher bacteria count in it, which is of course good in this case. Does this sound right? :blink:

It is to get the bacteria in ya. I let mine go for 24h because I like that tangy taste, also I didn't want to have much honey left over.

Ok, I make my Lemon Curd like this. I use liquid splenda (search on google) for it but you could use honey.

5 eggs

Sweetener equivalent to about 1 cup of sugar (taste it to see)

1/2 cup of lemon juice

1 tsp of lemon extract

Lemon Zest if you have it (2 Tbl is good)

6-8 Tbl of butter (if you can use it, I don't. Sometimes I use coconut oil instead, but usually just don't include any extra fat, and I don't put THAT much in).

Anyway, you mix it all together (except the butter) and then cook it over a pan with simmering water, whisking constantly until it comes to 160 degrees. (aka double boiler) It should take about 5-10 minutes. If it cooks too fast or too hot, you get scrambled eggs. Take it off the heat once it reaches 160 keep stirring. Add the butter now if you're going to do that. Stir the lemon zest into it now (if you want it).

The butter gives it a spreadable texture so it is good on breads. Personally, my favorite use for this was on top of cottage cheese and it didn't need that stiffer texture for it and I don't need the extra calories. Also a good topper on yogurt. Nowadays I use it on berries (fantastic!) or rolled up inside of egg crepes.

I've used my basic curd recipe to make chocolate and vanilla too.

It takes me no time to whip up a batch nowadays. However I am lazy and I use bottled lemon juice more often than not. I only use lemon zest if I have fresh lemons around.

Elaine does recommend taking probiotics, especially if you can't handle the yogurt. She recommends only specific bacteria. I tried to "culture" a probiotic capsule (emptied it into water and cultured like yogurt) and I think there was nothing alive in there. It never got tangy. So I'm a little skeptical of those probiotics anyway! I might try it with another brand or two.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I have a question about cooking the fruits. It says to do this to improve digestion. Today I put my peeled pears into the microwave for a few minutes. They tasted really good this way but are they cooked or am I supossed to put them in the oven or something? I've never cooked fruit before. Is this right? :unsure:

PreOptMegs Explorer

That is fine as long as they are cooked really, really well especially in the beginning. Your body will let you know if it can handle it or not.

Nancym Enthusiast

Yeah! That'll work. You can also do things like poach pears. I saw Alton Brown do it on good eats once, looked awesome! Of course, he used a cordless drill to get the core out of it while leaving the stem on. It was hilarious!

danikali Enthusiast

Okay everyone. I'm joining your SCD club! Now, I just ordered the book online because it wasn't at the Borders by me and it won't get to me until March 14-16!!!! So, right now, for today and tomorrow, I'm just doing a pure liquid diet because NOTHING IS WORKING. So, can you guys just give me a clue as to what I should do for the first few days after that? Until I get the book anyway......I can't have eggs or yogart or of course cheese or any dairy, and that's what I saw besides juice and fish or chicken on the first few days on the SDC website. Whatelse is there? Oh, and I don't have any time right now to make the coconut yogart, or even shop for it, so that's out for a little while too.

Thanks!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I LOVE eating my fruits cooked. For some reason they taste yummier. :D

Okay everyone. I'm joining your SCD club! Now, I just ordered the book online because it wasn't at the Borders by me and it won't get to me until March 14-16!!!! So, right now, for today and tomorrow, I'm just doing a pure liquid diet because NOTHING IS WORKING. So, can you guys just give me a clue as to what I should do for the first few days after that? Until I get the book anyway......I can't have eggs or yogart or of course cheese or any dairy, and that's what I saw besides juice and fish or chicken on the first few days on the SDC website. Whatelse is there? Oh, and I don't have any time right now to make the coconut yogart, or even shop for it, so that's out for a little while too.

Thanks!

Dani,

For the first few days just eat well cooked carrots all mashed up, plain chicken or hamburger. If you dont have diarreah maybe you can have some well cooked fruits (peeled). I'm eating pears, mangoes, and apples.

Oh...and I'm glad you're joining the club! I wonder how many of us are doing this now? Should be fun to see how well everyone does.

I keep eating carrots because I like them this way much better. I have no problems with carrots unless I eat them raw. I'm worried if I keep eating so many carrots I might turn orange! I've seen this happen to somebody before. I've eaten like 6 lbs. of carrots in 2 days.

lorka150 Collaborator

i'm getting inspired...

aikiducky Apprentice

I had a look on the website... turns out I'm almost eating this way already! I just ended up eating very little baked goods because I feel better when I don't and I don't really miss them. And I seldom cook rice or potatoes with my meals, I eat my fish or meat with veggies.

I'm not going to really get into the diet though because the way I'm eating now is working well for me. But it was funny to see how recognisable it was! :D

Pauliina

jerseyangel Proficient

Paulina--Me too! I spent some time yesterday looking over the info Jen posted links to. I found that I already am eating a very similar diet to this. The exceptions are potatoes, and I do not eat dairy. Almost without exception, I eat things from the legal list, and except potatoes, nothing from the illegal. I have also begun to take Culturelle--a probiotic--on the advice of Tiffany (floridanative). So far, so good :) I look forward to see how you all do!

PreOptMegs Explorer

LOL about turning orange.... I have eaten 9 lbs of carrots in 3 days... poop is bright orange, but no pigmentation difference yet.... or is there and I can't tell on myself???

danikali Enthusiast

Well I'm excited too! I'm not really hungry at all these past two days, so I'm going to stick to a lot of water mixed with welches for now. I'll probably have the turkey meat tonight, and that's it. Last night I had broiled salmon, and that's it. I'm just not hungry.....maybe because my stomach is not right and everytime I do eat, I get pains. Anyway, I don't have 'D' or anything, so I guess whenever my stomach is feeling better, I can start on the cooked fruit and carrots? And okay, I LIVE on carrots normally. I LOVE THEM. I have also eaten like a MILLION in 2 or 3 days. Everytime I go to the store, I never leave without 2 or 3 BIG bags of the baby carrots.

And I'm excited we're all doing this together too!! It's our little SCD support group! I can't wait to get the book! (Too bad it takes about 5 days to receive it in the mail. )

What is everyone else eating now? Besides carrots? And how long have you guys each been on it? Rachel, I know you have been like a week or something, right? I'm so excited! I hope we all start feeling AMAZING!

dlp252 Apprentice

I'm getting excited too...I'm not planning to start until the weekend though...I'm trying to get through a stool test right now, which is already pretty limited...I just haven't wanted to think how I can restrict for that and this diet too, so I'm waiting for no other reason that my mental happiness, lol. I also need carrots and hamburger, lol. :D

danikali Enthusiast

Okay everyone, a couple of questions.

For one, I can't have eggs, they bother me. Are eggs a MUST in the intro diet? Also, I read on the wesbsite that coconut milk isn't supposed to be tried until 6 months into the diet! That is the only kind of yogart I can make because I am casein sensitive......is the yogart also a MUST..???

What if I just drink the juice and have the meat or fish and mushed carrots for the intro. (well, until I get my book in the mail). Do you think that would be good enough?

danikali Enthusiast

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I have 'D' now. Is this a good thing? Is the grape juice and water cleaning me out?

Also, I keep getting an on and off sharp pain in my upper left side, a little in back, underneath my ribcage. I haven't had this since I had mono, but from what I understand, you can't get mono again after you've had it once, right? I was tested last spring for it again, because I really felt like I had it, and it came back negative. is there a connection between mono and Celiac disease? What could this pain be? Maybe just because my intestines are very inflamed? My stomach is still very tight and everything seems to by stiff and achy.

Thanks.

Susan123 Rookie

I hope you don't mind me asking but how do you get C-diff. From Antibiotic use? How long? I am on it for 2 months at least and want to make sure I don't get c-diff. I am eating 8 oz of stoneyfarm yogurt a day with blueberries. I am also taking L-Acidophillus 500 million x two. Will that do or should I be doing something else?

Nancym Enthusiast
Okay everyone, a couple of questions.

For one, I can't have eggs, they bother me. Are eggs a MUST in the intro diet? Also, I read on the wesbsite that coconut milk isn't supposed to be tried until 6 months into the diet! That is the only kind of yogart I can make because I am casein sensitive......is the yogart also a MUST..???

What if I just drink the juice and have the meat or fish and mushed carrots for the intro. (well, until I get my book in the mail). Do you think that would be good enough?

coconut milk yogurt is not a must. You could try almond milk. I think she has it laid out in her book how to make almond milk. Don't use store bought almond milk, it has sugars that are not allowed. I think she mentions in the book you can use probiotics if you can't manage yogurt.

Archived