This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Daughters Friend Has Celiac

brendavid

brendavid Newbie

Hello

My name is Brenda.. My oldest daughter is in college.. one of her friends just found out she has Celiac.. My problem is .. I like to make goodie bags and baskets to send to her and her friends... what kind of chocolate and snacks can she have? I have looked online and I have only found recipes. I am looking mainly for stuff for her Easter Basket. Thanks in advance for any help. Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

francelajoie Explorer

Open Original Shared Link

tyr this...it's a gluten free product list..you'll find lots of goodies in there.

brendavid Newbie
Open Original Shared Link

tyr this...it's a gluten free product list..you'll find lots of goodies in there.

Thanks so much...It is hard when I have no clue what I am looking for.

Brenda

Guest nini

Hershey's clearly labels if there is any Wheat Barley Rye or Oats in their products,

I like regular hershey's bars and from what I can tell the Hershey's bunnies appear to be safe

Cadbury has a ton of stuff that is gluten-free... I know for a fact th Cream Eggs and the mini cream eggs are gluten-free as well as a ton of other stuff

Peeps are gluten-free

Fluffy Stuff cotton candy is gluten-free and comes in an easter package

Starburst and Jolly Ranchers Jelly Beans are also gluten-free

Hershey's Kisses and M&M's are also gluten-free (just don't get the krispy m&m's)

skittles are gluten-free

so are tootsie rolls and sweet tarts

dove chocolate bites...

(I'm in the process of getting my daughter's easter basket together so I've been researching like crazy!)

barbara3675 Rookie

It is very nice of you to want to send this girl things that are compatible with her new eating style especially seeing that she is in college and trying to concentrate on her schooling. Hershey kisses and M & M's are gluten free for sure as are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. She will always love you for doing this for her. You are a good mom. Barbara

penguin Community Regular
Hello

My name is Brenda.. My oldest daughter is in college.. one of her friends just found out she has Celiac.. My problem is .. I like to make goodie bags and baskets to send to her and her friends... what kind of chocolate and snacks can she have? I have looked online and I have only found recipes. I am looking mainly for stuff for her Easter Basket. Thanks in advance for any help. Brenda

I just wanted to say that that is an awesome thing for you to do for your daughter's friend. I think I would cry if one of my friend's mom's did that!

chrissy Collaborator

that is so thoughtful of you!! my celiac twins have a church youth leader that has celiac, and since my girls have been diagnosed, she has made sure that they have gluten free items when they are doing activities involving food. a short time ago they were having an "iron chef" cook-off at a church activity. i told my girls they didn't have to go since they would be cooking. they went anyway, and came home with gluten free cake slices that they had decorated. it makes me feel so good to have someone do a little extra to help them with their condition. i'm sure your daughter's friend will be overwhelmed with your kindness.

christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

takidora Newbie

If you go to a specialty store, like Wild Oats or Whole Foods, they have more gluten-free products than "regular" grocery stores. They're coming out with new things all the time!

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

that is such a really cool thing you are doing for her. I would like to suggest a few purse friendly candies (since there will always be a time when a celiac has to rely on eating solely what's in her purse) M & M's are good for this. ;) I doubt I was much help. :( sorry.

it really is awesome that you are doing this :D

amybeth Enthusiast

The majority of Jelly Belly flavors are gluten-free -- (not the buttered toast flavor)...We buy the fruit bowl selection. They're gluten-free and yummy!!

I believe snickers and butterfingers are ok.

Tootsie Roll Pops and Tootsie Rolls

Laffy Taffy

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Another thing you might want to consider is a pretty tin to pack her portion of things in -- that way she can keep them safe from contamination and have a reminder of how incredibly nice you are :)

joanna

plantime Contributor

And please, please! Don't pack loose candies with potpourri or scented candles! It looks very pretty, yes, but renders the candies inedible! They soak up the perfumyness of the scented stuff, and tastes so awful!

paw Apprentice

If you are doing one larger basket with treats for several friends, you can use a ziplock bag for each person. Mark the "special gluten-free" bag with a pretty sticker and tell your daugher that is the safe one, or just make them all safe. There is a lot of good stuff to choose from.

One favorite I did not see listed is Reeses Peanut butter cups. They make egg shapes for Easter.

zip2play Apprentice

M&M peanutbutter is the BOMB! YUM

You might want to add some scoops fritos chips, cool ranch doritos, trail mix with nuts and M&M's, lays potato chips, butterfingers. You can make a lovely gluten free goodie bag!

Monica

Rusla Enthusiast

The Hershey's mini bars are not gluten-free. M&M's are good as they are gluten-free also. I am personally heartbroken over Lindt and Terry's not being gluten-free.

• 4 weeks later...
Suzi Newbie
The majority of Jelly Belly flavors are gluten-free -- (not the buttered toast flavor)...We buy the fruit bowl selection. They're gluten-free and yummy!!

I believe snickers and butterfingers are ok.

Tootsie Roll Pops and Tootsie Rolls

Laffy Taffy

I am not sure about the Butterfingers. On the label for the Butterfinger "bells" at Christmas time, it included "crushed corn flakes." I have not checked out the regular candy bars, though.

pumpkin Rookie

The Reeses peanut butter easter eggs are not gluten free! I am so bummed about it....

• 1 year later...
rhaag Newbie
Hershey's clearly labels if there is any Wheat Barley Rye or Oats in their products,

I like regular hershey's bars and from what I can tell the Hershey's bunnies appear to be safe

Cadbury has a ton of stuff that is gluten-free... I know for a fact th Cream Eggs and the mini cream eggs are gluten-free as well as a ton of other stuff

Peeps are gluten-free

Fluffy Stuff cotton candy is gluten-free and comes in an easter package

Starburst and Jolly Ranchers Jelly Beans are also gluten-free

Hershey's Kisses and M&M's are also gluten-free (just don't get the krispy m&m's)

skittles are gluten-free

so are tootsie rolls and sweet tarts

dove chocolate bites...

(I'm in the process of getting my daughter's easter basket together so I've been researching like crazy!)

Starbursts aren't gluten-free. I wish, but they aren't. You need to look for anything with Modified food starch... that's flour. Good Luck!

kbtoyssni Contributor
Starbursts aren't gluten-free. I wish, but they aren't. You need to look for anything with Modified food starch... that's flour. Good Luck!

Really? I could have sworn they were. Did this change recently?

buffettbride Enthusiast
Hello

WOW! First of all hooray for you for seeking something out that is acceptable. You have no idea how often someone doesn't know or doesn't care. You must be a true friend!

My daugther safely eats Butterfingers, Starbursts (even has gluten free label), and Skittles (also labeled gluten free).

Some other things I've read about that are gluten free are Starburst Jelly Beans, Jelly Belly jelly beans, and peeps. All great ideas for Easter baskets.

Lisa Mentor

kbtoyssni also commented on this statement.

"You need to look for anything with Modified food starch...that's flour." IS NOT CORRECT

Modified Food Starch in the US is corn derived unless otherwise stated...it is not FLOUR.

Archived