Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Sleep Problems

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have sleep problems? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have sleep problems?

1. Yes (48 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (6 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. maybe (2 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

4. Don't know (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

5. someone in my family does (3 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 traci

traci

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

I have gotten very selfish with my sleep. To my knowledge I do not have sleep apnea or any organic trouble, my father has night terrors... they are horrifying. But I often do have trouble sleeping, not so much since being gluten free for 2 weeks now or close to it...

I went out and got the best bed I could afford, I put memory foam mattress pad on it and I only buy the very best sheets, at least 400 thread count, you can get them cheap at overstock.com. My bedroom is my haven, my children know to leave me alone unless someone is bleeding. I keep it very clean, smelling wonderful and cool. If your bedroom is too warm, you wont sleep well. Too cold is far better than too warm.

I have a soft light for reading and a routine that I try very hard not to vary from. I will go without something else to have luxurious sheets.

I do not allow anyone to stimulate me with topics that I am excitable over such as my husband wanting to talk about the addition to the house or the truck payment after 7 PM. Also my husband and I have seperate beds. I love him and all that but its very hard for me to sleep with another person, epeicially if they snore, whistle, chomp or move a lot. Some mates will not like this, they take it personally but if you are like me, try explaining it gently and with love.... once my hubby understood it was not the end of our "intimate times" he was fine and when he realized the more rested I was, the happier I was... he is also more rested because he is not subconciously worried about waking me up.

I have a down comforter so I dont get weighed down in cover weight.

Sleep is so very important. If I dont get a good nights sleep, I am wiped out. When I was stuffing gluten in my face, I never got good sleep. I would wake up sore and tired. Now I fly out of bed, its great.

I kicked all my pets out too. I love my pets but they interferred with my sleep. They have adjusted well to their own beds.

I think if you get selfish about your sleep, your sleep space, do what you need to do to make your sleep space all it can be...its the place to pamper yourself. You should have a bed that when you slide into it you go AHHHH I LOVE THIS BED... it all helps at least it does me.
Traci-Self Diagnosed after removing all gluten from my diet... Please note I do not advocate self diagnosis but a woman's gotta do what she's gotta do!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:26 AM

Caffeine does it to me everytime. Last night I had a very small glass of Mountain Dew soda and I was wide awake until after 1 AM. Chocolate also - because of the caffeine.
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

#18 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:38 PM

I know it's been awhile since this thread was used, but I really have a few sleep problems which drive me almost berserk! :angry:

Like you Traci, I have to sleep in a separate room from my hubby, otherwise I just can't sleep at all, and he doesn't either. I snore very loudly. Loud enough, that I often wake myself up with it.
I also think I have sleep apnea, although I've never been to a sleep clinic to be tested for it. I wake up sometimes with the sense that I've been struggling for breath.

I have really bad nighmares almost every night. Not just one, but they go from one to another all night some nights. I'm often trying to excape from my x..(the father of my two grown kids), who is doing all sorts of horrid things to me.
Another one is similar. I am trapped, and trying to call out for help and can't form the words. :( They are so aweful, I wake up crying in my sleep.

I already take meds for anxiety/depression and sodium valproate to try and stop them, but it isn't working.

I'm really exhausted most of the time because of it, and have to have an afternoon nap every day. :blink:

So, it goes on, and on, and on.....

Sorry to rave, but it is really getting hard to take.
Maggie
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#19 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:04 AM

Well, here I am at 4am writing this post. Once again I am so tired I can hardly function, but neither can I sleep. My legs won't stay still and my mind won't slow down. Every little noise drives me nuts. At least my husband doesn't snore anymore since he has one of those machines for his sleep apnea. We are back in the same bed again...this time a king size version so that neither of us kicks the other when the leg spasms start up. We have to laugh at it or we would go crazy!

I haven't quite gotten to the point of taking a mag sulfate shot, but I will probably get there within the hour. I'd like for my Sunday to be somewhat normal and not be so exhausted. I know it will help, but I hate taking them.

You are not alone with the nightmares and feeling as though you can't quite breathe and can't quite wake up. Those are bad, but the dreams where every house you go into has 15 bathrooms and none of them work are even more strange.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#20 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:11 AM

You are not alone with the nightmares and feeling as though you can't quite breathe and can't quite wake up. Those are bad, but the dreams where every house you go into has 15 bathrooms and none of them work are even more strange.

:D Now that would be bad!! lol
I sometimes dream that I've 'been' to the bathroom, but still need to go. :ph34r:
That's usually when I really DO need to get up and 'go' for real.

Thanks for that. It gave me a much needed chuckle. :P
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: