27 replies to this topic

#1 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

Is there such a thing as gluten-free phyllo dough either to buy or make at home? My daughter asked for cherry turnovers and I can't find a gluten-free dough that I think would work like the flaky phyllo... How's come when we can't have something anymore thats what we crave..... I offered a cherry pie but she declined.....

Thanks to all the sherlock holmes detectives for helping me on this one........

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

That is a recipe quite a few of us are interested in!!! PLEASE ANYONE???? It's like a holy grail thing to this former extreme baker!!! :lol:

#3 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

I have this recipe on hand from before gluten free.

1/4 c. water
2 c. flour
4 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt

Sift flour and salt. Make a well, then add the water and olive oil in it.
Work the dough, and on a dusted board, knead it for about 5 minutes. It gets smooth. Roll it out in a huge rectangle, put a damp towel over it, and let it stay for about 15 minutes.
Work it out again so it's about 3x3 feet. Cut it with a knife to sheet size, and then use for your recipe.

I haven't made this gluten-free yet, but if I do I would probably use amaranth flour.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but here's what I found out when I went to look for a recipe:

HOW A PHYLLO DOUGH SHEET STRETCHES AND STAYS TOGETHER: It's the gluten formed in the dough from wheat flour and moisture, mixed together that holds it together. Because there is oil in the recipe, it's not an effective as a classical shortener, such as butter or shortening, so long strands of gluten are formed in the dough. These strands are then stretched thinner and thinner until the sheets are as thin as tissue paper!.

I think this means someone will have to be VERY creative in order to figure out how to get it to work gluten-free.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#5 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

i'm crushed!!! actually, i have never used phyllo dough---but i saw it for the first time in the store just the other day. what about pastry dough? the kind that you add butter to and fold over and roll out and then refridgerate and do it all over again several times------would it work with gluten free flour? (i've never made it with wheat flour)

lorka----why amaranth flour? i've never seen it anywhere. where do you get it?
christine
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#6 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

i just think it would taste the best. i have two kinds - bob's red mill, and nuworld amararanth.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#7 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

I thought maybe a "fake" phyllo taste-alike? I just bought a new recipe book called "The Gluten-Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg last week. She uses potato starch flour and corn starch mixtures pretty much exclusively for her baking. These are much easier for me to find in the stores and cheaper, too I might add. I need to experiment with her pie crust recipes and see what happens. The recipes are pretty simple and straight-forward and not a huge list of ingredients. Pretty basic ingredients you may already have in the kitchen, which is great. I'll keep you all posted on the results. Just need to feel a little better and will get baking again soon. :)

#8 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:02 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but a few issues ago Living Without had a gluten-free recipe for pastry dough, and a baklava recipe. I could try and post it later if you're interested...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#9 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

please post it!!!!!!
christine
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#10 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:34 AM

i'll look it up when i get home tonight :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#11 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:36 AM

I found this on the Clan Thompson site,

http://www.clanthomp...d_category_id=2

No idea if it would work or not. I need to learn to make it!

And I desperately love greek food!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#12 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

Chelse, Thank you, I am so excited to see this!!! Jen, I would be so grateful, too for yours! :)

#13 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

Glad this came up again--I had a friend over last night and forgot :) I will get the recipe tonight!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#14 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

Jen,

I'd love to see your Baklava recipe. We had Greek food for dinner and my son wanted Baklava and I felt really bad that I had to say no. I'd like some too!
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#15 sasha1234

sasha1234

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

I haven't perfected the technique yet but what my mom and I have done is used rice paper. We got the idea from a Gluten-Free cookbook (title escapes me right now) that said to use rice paper to do "en croutes". So... what we did was take the rice paper and then rub it with oil, I imagine you could do butter or margarine (I can't do dairy), and then sprinkled it with sugar. I also used sugar water to soak the rice papers. It worked pretty well, I had cherry filling on the inside. It's not really phyllo but it's crispy and at least lets me have a slight fantasy of past phyllo treats. It's also a heck of a lot simpler than mixing doughs and rolling it out thinly.

--- just a suggestion. And if you haven't tried it to do "en croutes", it's amazing! We did lamb the other night, yummmm.
Negative Bloodwork November 2002
Gluten-Free November 2002-December 2005 (the healthiest I've ever been)
Gluten Diet December 2005-February 2006
Negative Biopsy February 9th, 2006
Negative Bloodwork February 9th, 2006
Back Gluten-Free February 9th, 2006
~~ Never eating gluten again!
*Diagnosed as being Gluten Intolerant
Dad being tested for Celiac in October

Allergies:
-dairy, eggs, nuts, peanuts, legumes, seafood, and shellfish
-animals, grass, pollen, smoke, etc, and sodium laurel sulfate

Other:
Near Fatal C-Diff infection, August 2005.
Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease April 2006.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: