9 replies to this topic

#1 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:42 AM

Hi TT, I have enjoyed your many informative posts throughout the site. You have certainly had an interesting life and I envy your extensive travel experiences.

What I was wondering about specifically is how you handle explaining to hotels/motels why are you cooking in your room?

Also, aside from the multi-fuel stove you mentioned, do you like any of the portable electrical devices such as the George Foreman grills or hot plates or electric griddles?

What are the tricks and tips for cleaning cookware in a hotel room? Do you take your own dishes, use throwaways, eat out of the pan, or....?

I suspect for a while my own travel will be limited to the USA and so would like to know how I could be minimalist in my luggage yet able to prepare good food in my room. I suppose I could always stipulate a refrigerator though not necessarily a microwave.

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:38 AM

Hi, Yankee. I know I'm not Thomas, but I suggest that if you are going to travel in the continental US, try driving instead of flying. You can store your cooking gear in the trunk, and tailgate cook if you need to. I would use disposable dishes whenever possible, simply because I hate washing dishes! The sinks in hotels are rarely large enough!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

Another consideration is that a lot of areas have residence-inn type places that have kitchens (with fridges) in the rooms. Very convenient!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:31 AM

I, too, am certainly not "TravelThomas", but when I went skiing, I never ate out. Recently diagnosed, and having been plagued with symptoms for years, I didn't trust the restaurants. As for telling the hotel.......if you clean up well enough and put your cooking gear in a suitcase or bag when maid service comes, you don't have to. :)

Obviously, having a small fridge in the room is helpful...if not, a cooler filled with ice can substitute. I agree with plantime in that I'd recommend driving. I find disposable plates to be best; you don't need to store them, and you can buy them at your destination. I brought a toaster oven and a George Foreman grill. The toaster oven allows you to eat toasted bagels or breads for breakfast, and you can cook potatoes, or whatever else, in it for dinner. The Foreman, obviously is helpful to add meat to your diet. My family has a larger one, which we brought on vacation, but I've seen smaller ones in various bright colors, that might be more suitable for travel. I don't have much to say...I've only gone on vacation on the gluten-free diet once...My ramblings probably had no useful information, but I hope there's something in there that's of use......

#5 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions! I'm definitely going to invest in an electric grill the next time I travel. celiac3270, how easy is the one you have to clean?

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:52 AM

To wash it....you just need to have it over a sink and sponge down the grilling part.....it can get slightly messy, but it's not particularly difficult...and if you just clean up after yourself, the hotel doesn't have to know ;)

-celiac3270

#7 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hi YankeeDB,

About cooking in the room; some are understand and some do not. The ones who do not make me cook outside (and they just tolerate that). I do not like to be deceitful, but I have to agree with celiac3270. What the hotel owners donít know, will not bother them. I cook near a window or a venting fan. I donít cook greasy or spattering foods in hotel rooms, and when I cook eggs, I use more water than oil to keep them from sticking in the fry pan. I just boil off the excess water.

I do use an electric hot plate. I donít use any Teflon, because if I were to make a mistake and accidentally cook gluten in it, it would be contaminated and would no longer be any good.

I use stainless steal bowls, plates, cookware and utensils. MSR is good for light weight stainless steal. I use normal to large size utensils. The backpacking utensils are too small to be useful.

For cleaning I use normal dish soap, and clean up were ever there is water available. Dry things good and let them sit in the open air before using them again, if you are in places like Mexico or India. I will eat out of the pan so I will not have as much to clean up. For India all I took with me was an 8Ē stainless steal MSR fry pan, a large spoon and a Swiss Army Knife. It worked perfect.

For U.S. car travel I use canned ďsalt freeĒ foods for the driving part of the trip. This speeds things up because the food is pre-cooked and all I have to do is mix it in a bowl. When I get to my destination I start using fresh food. I will use refrigeration when I get to where I am going for the fresh foods. I have a Norcold 12/120 volt refrigerator. I can run it off the sun or plug it in.

For plane travel I take as much of my own food as possible, and on the real long air trips I take my chances with the airplane food (being real careful to avoid gluten). From what I hear they are starting to eliminate meals on flights, so it will not seem that strange if you bring meals with you.

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:31 PM

For plane travel I take as much of my own food as possible, and on the real long air trips I take my chances with the airplane food (being real careful to avoid gluten). From what I hear they are starting to eliminate meals on flights, so it will not seem that strange if you bring meals with you.

My dad, who travels A LOT (mostly to Europe and around US, though...sometimes to Singapore or Hong Kong, but not usually). Since I was diagnosed he's more aware about celiac disease, obviously, and he's heard people asking for their gluten-free meals.....they must be relatively accomodating on planes, then.....just a thought ;)

-celiac3270

#9 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:15 PM

some airlines have gluten-free food choices

#10 dianne

dianne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:43 AM

Yankee, Just wanted to put my two cents in. Did you know there are meals, which come in a resealable pouch, which only need boiling water to be added? I get them online, through Gluten Solutions. They have them listed under the brand, Gluten Free Cafe. Happy traveling! :rolleyes:
Dianne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: