22 replies to this topic

#16 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

I thought that casein was removed from wine, but I had one glass of wine on the weekend and then I started having a typical dairy reaction within a few hours. So I did some reading and found that casein can still be present in some wines. I'm not drinking wine again until I find some vegan brands.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

Thanks everyone!

Starting today I'm actually going to go off of all grains for a while and see if things improve. I'm just so scared that the more I eat of the same thing, the more intolerances I'm going to get and pretty soon I won't be able to eat! Has there ever been a senario like that? I mean, then what? I'm really stressing myself out over here. I want my life back.

I am in the same boat as you all here and I am so frustrated and sick of being sick, I am going to stop eating anything with grain and potatoes for awhile, too. I still need to check out the scdiet and try that. It is so depressing sometimes, I know but we will get there. I want my life back too.

#18 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

Holy crappers, casein in wine. Maybe that is the cause of my D for the past two weeks. This whole casein thing sucks. I have no problem being gluten-free, but I hate being casein-free. Anyways, thanks for the great and extremely helpful info.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#19 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Now I'm getting depressed again. One thing after another gets tossed out of my diet due to gluten or casein. Let'se see now...I can eat eggs, chicken, some fish, veggies but not nightshades or anything with starch, no rice, no this, no that. No wine! One of my few pleasures that was left! Time for a pity party I guess. Boo hoo hoo :( :( :(
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#20 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

Wow, Carrie, thanks! I had no idea about the wine. I also don't drink the stuff in general, but still....

As for the rice topic, I tested allergic to rice when I did allergy tests a year ago. I just retested and am waiting for results. However, rice is one of the things I kept on eating anyway. Not because I LOVED it, but because I needed something to eat and had a very limited diet in general and lots of allergies. If you can go off it, you probably will feel better. I think all grains can be hard to digest for celiacs, especially when your body is still healing. I've been gluten-free for 2 years now and am finally starting to feel human again, and occasionally even get enthusiastic about eating something, lol. And I'm starting to eat more stuff. There IS light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel is longer than you expected. ((hugs)))

Merika

#21 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:23 PM

I agree with all of you, casein is harder than gluten free for me too. I was wondering if there is a specific gfdf website or any info someone is aware of that I could check out. I was always told it was a lactose intolerance -no wonder I never could drink milk even with 2 or 3 extra strength lactaid tabs (!)

#22 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

My pet theory now is that we've got some bad gut bugs that feed on starches and having a food intolerances makes it hard for the good bugs to thrive and lets the bad bugs take over. I think once the gut heals up and the balance of "good and evil" :D is restored then we won't be responding so harshly to so many things.

#23 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

My pet theory now is that we've got some bad gut bugs that feed on starches and having a food intolerances makes it hard for the good bugs to thrive and lets the bad bugs take over. I think once the gut heals up and the balance of "good and evil" :D is restored then we won't be responding so harshly to so many things.

Yeah...this is what I believe too. Its all about the balance...or should I say disruption of the balance.
My doctor seemed really pleased that I'm doing SCD....he doesnt want me adding new foods in yet though. Not only does the diet take away their food supply but not eating the foods we're reacting to takes some stress off the immune system and it can then focus more on the bad bugs.
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: