This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toe & Foot Cramps

Guest cassidy

Guest cassidy

For the last two days I have had toe and foot cramps. They start in my toes and go up my foot. If it doesn't work itself out, I've even gotten them up to my calves. Sometimes they are in both feet at the same time. It has happened 2 days a row this week and several times during each day. I think tennis shoes and tight socks make it worse, so I try to stay away from those. I drink tons of water and take vitamins. Does this happen to anyone else? Do you know how to get rid of them? Any ideas what causes this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

How long have you been gluten-free? I used to get those several times a week and mostly when I was sleeping. Several of the toes would actually shoot straight up towards the ceiling. I would wake up screaming as the muscles would just tie themselves in knots. After I went gluten-free, I found that I have only had a couple for this past year. The only thing that I found that would get my feet, ankles and sides of the lower legs, back to normal was ice wraps. I bought these velcro wraps that have ice packs that are inserted. I still keep the ice packs in my freezer for whenever I need them. The wraps (including ice packs) are blue and you can get them at the drug store without a RX. Good luck.

trents Grand Master

Have you had your electrolytes checked?

How's your lower extremity circulation? Are you diabetic?

ebrbetty Rising Star

I've had them for the last few years, my pain Dr told me its all part of my Fibro,[most ppl with fibro get these] the last few months I get them about 5 days a week, up to 6 times a day, its very painful.

I guess I'm so used to body pain from the fibro, I have learned to live with them. celiac disease causes lots of other problems and this may be one of the symptoms for you, but for me its not because of celiac disease, we can't blame every physical ailment on celiac

plantime Contributor

I always get these cramps. I also get them in my back, across my shoulders. One doc told me that for some people, the cramps just happen, and the reason is never found. When I get them in my feet and legs, I get rid of them by consciously tightening the muscles involved, and letting it just work out. Painful, but it gets rid of them, and the muscles feel better. For my back, I can only suffer. I had muscle relaxers, but they were stolen some time ago, and I can't get a refill. Hot showers help, though.

tarnalberry Community Regular

you might also consider getting a deep tissue foot massage. it sounds like you've got excess nerve firing going on in your toes/feet, and a deep tissue massage may be able to help relax the muscles that are first tightening and staying tight, if you catch it early. this is, at best, an educated guess, though.

Martyg Apprentice

Before I was diagnosed I would get them several times a week. I thought it was from wearing higher heels for work. I wore lower heels and that did not help.

I was diagnosed July 2005 and have been gluten free. The foot/leg cramps have gotten better, but seem to more aggravated by tighter shoes or socks. In the summer when I wear mostly sandals, it does not happen as much.

I do believe it is tied in some way to the gluten, but I have been gluten free and still get them sometimes, but not quite as bad. Sure I have other food allergies too.

Good to hear it's not just me.

Marty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I still get cramps in my feet and sometimes my calves while lying in bed. I can usually feel one coming on in my foot, and can 'head it off' by flexing my feet.

teankerbell Apprentice

Since going gluten-free, I get the cramps - toes, feet and sometimes into the calves. :blink:

mamaw Community Regular

I too started to get these painful foot cramps after being gluten-free for over 2 1/2 years. My feet just starts to get like its paraliyzed or like a spasm that will not go away....

mamaw

trents Grand Master
Since going gluten-free, I get the cramps - toes, feet and sometimes into the calves. :blink:

Cassidy,

I ran across this today and I was reminded of your post: Open Original Shared Link

Here's the relevant part of the article:

Adults

Malabsorption. The varied signs and symptoms of malabsorption may be caused by celiac disease or many other diseases. Mild malabsorption may be asymptomatic. With its gradual onset, the classic manifestations of flatulence and bulky, greasy and foul-smelling stools may not be recognized by the patient as signs of celiac disease. Malabsorption should be suspected in any patient with weight loss and diarrhea, and the signs and symptoms of specific vitamin or nutritional deficiencies. The latter include visual disturbances, neuropathy, anemia, osteopenic bone disease, tetany, hemorrhagic diathesis or infertility.

The Columbia online encyclopedia defines tetany as:

(tt´n) (KEY) , condition of mineral imbalance in the body that results in severe muscle spasms. Tetany occurs when the concentration of calcium ions (Ca++) in extracellular fluids such as plasma falls below normal. The nervous system becomes increasingly excitable, and nerves discharge spontaneously, sending impulses to skeletal muscles and causing spasmodic contractions. Mild tetany is characterized by tingling in the fingers, toes, and lips; acute tetany, consisting of severe muscular contractions, tremors, and cramps, can result in death. Abnormally low extracellular calcium ion concentration can result from failure of the parathyroid glands to release parathyroid hormone, the substance responsible for the regulation of calcium concentration in the body; a deficiency in vitamin D, which facilitates calcium ion absorption from the gastrointestinal tract; or alkalosis, an excessively alkaline state of body fluids resulting from persistent vomiting, rapid breathing, or excess activity of the hormone aldosterone. Most forms of tetany can be treated with calcium, vitamin D, and a controlled diet. Muscle tetany is also caused by the pathogenic bacterium Clostridium tetani in the disease tetanus.

paulasimone Rookie

i get the toe cramps with a VENGEANCE! except way, way less now that i'm gluten-free.

they suck - usually my second toe, sometimes third, will just crank over to one side over another toe and just will not go back. :blink: i have found no remedy but time. i rub them too, but that just might occupy me rather than help. :rolleyes: i remember one of the worst cases was when i was little and on family vacay skiing - toe cramp in the ski boot! aiiii! :o

:)

paula

Bonnie Explorer

I also get terrible cramps in my toes and feet.

The only thing that works for me is Magnesium. I stopped taking it for a few days and the cramps came back!

Yvonne

Dlapham celiac & DH Newbie
For the last two days I have had toe and foot cramps. They start in my toes and go up my foot. If it doesn't work itself out, I've even gotten them up to my calves. Sometimes they are in both feet at the same time. It has happened 2 days a row this week and several times during each day. I think tennis shoes and tight socks make it worse, so I try to stay away from those. I drink tons of water and take vitamins. Does this happen to anyone else? Do you know how to get rid of them? Any ideas what causes this?

Yes I have had them off an on for years. They seem to get worse when my system is not balanced, which is after being "glutened" or in the summer when sweating a lot and some times it just gets off for reasons I can't identify. I have found that walking and messaging the area and using a product called "Cramp Cream" or with "Absorbine JR" will stop them. When I had a spinal cord tumor about 7 years ago, they got so bad it was unbearable until I discovered that if I put several ceramic magnets around my legs and arms, with the negative poll to the skin it would reduce them by 60 to 90%. I know that that sounds like snake oil, but there is a valid explanation behind it. The short version is that it increases the oxygen level in the tissue in the area of the magnet.

I have also found that my electrolytes are a trigger, when they are off, esp potassium, and sodium. Possibly one of these will help.

Dlapham celiac & DH Newbie
Cassidy,

I ran across this today and I was reminded of your post: Open Original Shared Link

Here's the relevant part of the article:

Adults

Malabsorption. The varied signs and symptoms of malabsorption may be caused by celiac disease or many other diseases. Mild malabsorption may be asymptomatic. With its gradual onset, the classic manifestations of flatulence and bulky, greasy and foul-smelling stools may not be recognized by the patient as signs of celiac disease. Malabsorption should be suspected in any patient with weight loss and diarrhea, and the signs and symptoms of specific vitamin or nutritional deficiencies. The latter include visual disturbances, neuropathy, anemia, osteopenic bone disease, tetany, hemorrhagic diathesis or infertility.

The Columbia online encyclopedia defines tetany as:

(tt´n) (KEY) , condition of mineral imbalance in the body that results in severe muscle spasms. Tetany occurs when the concentration of calcium ions (Ca++) in extracellular fluids such as plasma falls below normal. The nervous system becomes increasingly excitable, and nerves discharge spontaneously, sending impulses to skeletal muscles and causing spasmodic contractions. Mild tetany is characterized by tingling in the fingers, toes, and lips; acute tetany, consisting of severe muscular contractions, tremors, and cramps, can result in death. Abnormally low extracellular calcium ion concentration can result from failure of the parathyroid glands to release parathyroid hormone, the substance responsible for the regulation of calcium concentration in the body; a deficiency in vitamin D, which facilitates calcium ion absorption from the gastrointestinal tract; or alkalosis, an excessively alkaline state of body fluids resulting from persistent vomiting, rapid breathing, or excess activity of the hormone aldosterone. Most forms of tetany can be treated with calcium, vitamin D, and a controlled diet. Muscle tetany is also caused by the pathogenic bacterium Clostridium tetani in the disease tetanus.

Thanks Trents for this information. The above explanation is very interesting. I will try to see what effect extra supplementation will have on the condition.

elfstones Newbie

I get cramps in my toes and feet also. As a matter of fact I get them from my neck to my feet. I have also been dx with MS.

Archived