Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Help! Cornmeal!

30 posts in this topic

I got glutened by contaminated store brand cornmeal last night... <_<

It was a bad glutening too, so that was no fun. I just bought some Quaker cornmeal (in a little canister looking thing). I want to make cornbread again, cause I'm really jonesing for it.

Does anyone know if it's gluten-free? If it isn't, does anyone know of a brand that is?

The only other ones I've seen are Bob's Red Mill (got sick from their "gluten-free" baking mix so I don't trust them) and Aunt Jemima (which is Quaker anyway).

Please help :huh:

Ads by Google:

I've heard that Quaker products are no longer safe. I also got sick from Bob's Red Mill (why do they label that stuff as gluten-free anyway?). There are some cornbread recipes in some of the gluten-free cookbooks. Do you have any of those?

I've heard that Quaker products are no longer safe. I also got sick from Bob's Red Mill (why do they label that stuff as gluten-free anyway?). There are some cornbread recipes in some of the gluten-free cookbooks. Do you have any of those?

I've got the cornbread recipe, I just can't find ANY EFFING CORNMEAL!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

this is so frustrating!!!!!!!!

(sorry Carrie, I didn't mean to make that sound angry at you)

I also was gluttened by cornmeal--the Indian Head brand, yellow bag. I wonder if maybe this is why some people are so corn sensitive. Maybe a good number of cornmeal and cornstarch brands are contaminated.

I don't know if they have Purity or Unico, but those are the two brands I've seen around here, but I'm from the Great White North.

The Purity is in a clear plastic bag with a yellow and green label. It doesn't say gluten-free, but it says 100% natural No additives. 500g pkg (about 16 oz/1 lb).

Packed by Fort Garry Milling Co.

PO Box 537

Saskatoon, SK, Canada

1-800--363-2578

Disclaimer: My son has no outward symptoms, so I cannot guarantee the purity of Purity.

I too have used the Hodgson Mill with no ill effects.

Good luck!

I use Arrowhead Mills, I think I've read that people have had problems with their products before and I'm not sure why, the company is owned by Hain, and they label really well. I use it often with no problems. This is a link to the Arrowhead Mills web site specifically the Corn meal product and it clearly says Gluten free.

http://www.arrowheadmills.com/products/pro...d=247&cat_id=63

Best, Susan

Anyone know anything about Aunt Jamima cornmeal mix? I noticed on their label it's a Quaker product but i'm not clear on if it's really gluten-free???

We always stick to either Hodgson's mill (spelling if off, i think) and Kinninick (spelling is off). Yes, quaker can't be trusted - what an ironic statement - who'd a thunk it that you can't trust a Quaker? :D

I will never, ever eat anything by Quaker Oats ever again. When I called them, they were specific about not being able to guarantee any of their products are safe from cross-contamination. And that was the BIGGIE for me. I noticed that I wasn't feeling better after being diagnosed and going gluten-free. Apparently, I was glutened by their rice cakes sis and was mortified to find out this. But that is basically what all mainstream manufacturers tell you to cover their beehinds.

I have had trouble with Bob's Red Mill stuff as I have seen a lot of people have which I thought was safe too! And Amy's products (which is slightly off the topic).

In regards to the Aunt Jemima...

I have eaten Aunt Jemima Cornmeal and I make corn bread with it all the time. I have yet to have any ill effects. Hoping that since my Celiac is so silent at times, that I am not being glutened without realizing it.

Bob's Red Mill, I had no idea. Does this go for his gluten free all purpose flour too?? YIKES!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your input.

I too have been using Aunt Jamima cornmeal w/ no issues....but after hearing what ya'll have to say about Quaker that's a bummer....

I've had the Gluten Free Pantry cornbread mix without any problems (though it is not as tasty as my prior diagnosis standby - Jiffy.....mmmmmm).

I have used two kinds of Goya corn meal. One is fine ground and the other is extra fine (almost like corn flower). I have had no problems with either. I have called Goya before and got an answer about their canned kidney beans which were also ok. Let me say I have not been accidentally glutened since I started this diet almost 11 months ago. I have either been very lucky or maybe not that sensitive. I had positive dx (biopsy) so I know I have celiac disease. I eat out about once a week. I eat a lot of cornbread so I have given myself a lot of chances. I'm sure almost anything you get in the health food stores that says gluten free is probably ok. It would also be more expensive. I would have to say that most mills probably grind more than just corn so the chance of cross contamination would exist with just about all of them. Go in almost any regular grocery store and there are probably half a dozen brands of corn meal. I read the labels and if I don't see a

anything wrong then I give it a try. The biggest threat would be a corn bread "mix". I stay away from these. So far so good.

Tom

I was just wondering is it just a Cross Cont issue with the quaker? I use it without any known effects?

Here is the response I received from Quaker:

RE: Quaker Corn Meal , REF.# 025651068A

Laura:

Thank you for contacting us about Quaker Corn Meal. We understand that individuals sensitive to gluten cannot digest even trace amounts of gluten. Since so many of our products contain grain ingredients and many products are made in the same facility, we cannot guarantee that any particular product is entirely free of gluten. Although we would like to help you find products that meet your special dietary needs, we are not able to recommend any of our products. We hope this information is helpful.

Theresa

So in a nutshell Please do nout use any products from the Quaker!!!

chelsE -

just to check - you're not using an old glutened cast iron skillet are you?

(i just had to replace mine myself - it is after all the definitive cornbread receptacle.)

:)

i really hope you're able to get some delicious cornbread soon!

chelsE -

just to check - you're not using an old glutened cast iron skillet are you?

(i just had to replace mine myself - it is after all the definitive cornbread receptacle.)

:)

i really hope you're able to get some delicious cornbread soon!

Omg, I am using my grandmother's skillet. I scour it well, but you are right they are porous-that's why they turn black. Ok, maybe it wasn't the yellow Indian head cornmeal. :blink:

I usually use my small pyrex dish, and always have. My cast iron skillet is too big for cornbread, I usually use it for frying things. Since being gluten-free, I've only used it to broil things, and at that I line the pan with tin foil. I can't stand to waste a perfectly good pan. I need to buy another one, though.

I did make good cornbread, twice! I actually just ate some with eggs. I put cheese and egg on top of a split slice of cornbread. Almost like eggs benedict without hollandaise. Awesome!

I used Hodgson Mill with no problem, yay! Thanks for all of your help, everybody!

I make corn muffins instead of the bread. I used the arrowhead recipe on the bag and used rice flour. They were a little gritty but they were soo good! :)

You can also make your own cornmeal by grinding popcorn. It is a little bit finer than what you buy in the store but it still works and you know that is ok if you grind it yourself!

I too have used the Hodgson Mill with no ill effects.

Good luck!

Be careful of cross contamination! Here's what the rep at Shiloh Farms wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have dedicated equipment or a dedicated facility. We do take care to clean our machinery thoroughly between products however we are no longer labeling our products as gluten-free because of the fact that we do not have a dedicated facility. Thanks again for your question.

Amanda Byrd

Shiloh Farms

191 Commerce Drive

New Holland, Pa 17557

800-362-3832

www.shilohfarms.com

You might not feel sick but you know gluten does damage to your small intestine so why risk it when you can purchase from companies that have a dedicated facility or that only do gluten free products? Hodgson hasn't responded to my email yet. I will post the message when I receive it.

I don't think Bob's Red Mill lists their corn meal as gluten-free. However they seem to have enough gluten-free corn around to make their Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. I've been meaning to ask them about that... <_<