This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Where Is Your Stomach Pain Located

gointribal

gointribal Enthusiast

I was wondering where most people with celiac have most of their stomach pains or does it differ for each person? I get pains above my belly button and my ribs hurt, anyone else? B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ILOVEOMC Enthusiast

My sons are above the belly button and says its like his insides are sticking together. Also a burning pain.

teankerbell Apprentice

Mine is below the belly button. It feels like the intestines are folding over in half. Like a piece of paper getting folded in half.

dlp252 Apprentice

Mine is below and a little to the left usually. Feels like someone just poked a stick in there and left it.

TestyTommy Rookie

Mine is low, too. Below the bellybutton; I usually describe it as the front of the pelvis.

Any speculation on why we feel it in different places?

wolfie Enthusiast

I have pain above the belly button and in the rib area and also below. Not sure why the difference, but it has gotten A LOT better since I went gluten-free. I am sure it was all related somehow with me.

slpinsd Contributor

Mine is (was) about 1 inch below the bellow button. Feels like someone is poking me continuously. But it's gone, gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

My pain was always on the lower left. It felt like someone had grabbed my intestine and was twisting it. It interfered with breathing, the slightest movement magnified the pain.

i canary Rookie
Mine is below and a little to the left usually. Feels like someone just poked a stick in there and left it.

Me too - only mine feels more like a sword than a stick. :ph34r:

prinsessa Contributor

My pain usually feels like it is in my intestines....like they are irritated or something. I also would get stomach pains if I ate a lot of bread.

Rusla Enthusiast

For me it is above and feels like someone has set fire to my insides along with the feeling of being stabbed with a dull knife and someone twisting it. Now for dairy mine is in the abdomin below the navel.

teankerbell Apprentice
My pain was always on the lower left. It felt like someone had grabbed my intestine and was twisting it. It interfered with breathing, the slightest movement magnified the pain.

That's a better description for me - feels like some one is twisting it.

Generic Apprentice

Below the belly button everytime, for me also.

CMCM Rising Star
For me it is above and feels like someone has set fire to my insides along with the feeling of being stabbed with a dull knife and someone twisting it. Now for dairy mine is in the abdomin below the navel.

Exactly the same for me (gluten above, dairy below). :wacko:

• 1 month later...
Guest drgnslaya
Mine is (was) about 1 inch below the bellow button. Feels like someone is poking me continuously. But it's gone, gluten-free!

Just a thought, i don't know ur medical history but there is such a thing known as "NABHI displacement" in india. It happens from lifting weight or awkward movement. "Nabhi" means the belly button. It is not actual herniation but the bowel might be entangled or displaced without rupturing walls which causes constant pain and restlessness. it can result in a loss of appetite, gradual weight loss and fatigue. It's actually not given much thought in western medicine but it is usually confirmed by measuring the distance between each nipple and the bellybutton with some thread. Ideally the measurement should be the same. If the difference in each measurement is a lot, they say it's out of position. Possible therapy includes massages of the nerves in the legs which might be tight and thus inhibiting the bowels from going back to original position. Aso a traditional vaccum therapy which includes attaching a small vessel to the belly button by creating a vaccum to pop the displaced bowel back in place. There are also traditional therapies for it in yoga aswell. It's just a thought. Never hurts to explorea possibility1

Regards,

Drgnslaya.

shai76 Explorer

I feel like I got punched really hard rigfht about my belly button. Sometimes the pain moves down and out then, but it is usually located right there above my belly button.

For food allergies I get what feels like menstrual cramping in my large intestine, bellow my belly button. And the pain is more of a twisting, contractions sort of pain.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

My pain is about 2 inches above my belly button. The pain can get so severe that I can't move.

mmaccartney Explorer

I would have severe cramping type pain throughout areas of my lower abdomen, both above and below the belly button. Also the cramping would be just where my gall bladder is, just below the sternum. Press on that and it would make me vomit too. This type of pain would come when I was contaminated, and pass after many hours. It was very intense, most of the time I was curled up in a ball on the floor, couch, or bed! Even the Percocet my GI gave me wouldn't help much!!!

The burning pains came over time, and wouldn't go away until several months off of gluten and casein. The burning pains were on my left and right side of my abdomen, just below my ribcage, and then also in the lower left of my abdmomen as well. They weren't as intense as the cramping pain, but were there all the time.

Archived