3 replies to this topic

#1 peace06

peace06

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

I just heard of this new pasta called great Farro (italian in origin, I believe). It is supposed to be wheat free. Can anyone tell me if this is the case?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 francelajoie

francelajoie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

Farro is an unhybridized form of wheat, with a hearty, nutty flavor, which has been grown throughout Europe for centuries. Today, with the renewed interest in traditional and organic foods, farro is featured on the menus of many of the best restaurants in Italy, and is rapidly gaining popularity in the United States. Farro is a cereal grain. What differentiates farro from wheat is its husk. The farro husk adheres to the grain, just as in barley and oats. All modern hard wheat is descended from farro. Farro is packed with vitamins and minerals, as well as oils which enhance its fibrous properties. Specifically, farro is loaded with Vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and is key in fighting disease and staying healthy, but is difficult to find in many food sources. Although not a complete protein source, farro becomes one when combined with legumes, which is typically done in Tuscan kitchens.

Copied and pasted this off a website.
To me, it sounds like wheat??? :blink:
France

#3 jmalewic

jmalewic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

Howdy - Although I don't have a gluten allergy myself - I've done a lot of homework on the topic for some close friends. Farro Pasta is a pure pasta made from Emmer Wheat - yes wheat. So folks who have Celiac Disease should probably avoid it. I will say though having tasted Emmer wheat pasta - it's awesome! if you don't have the allergy - then by all means check it out. I'm not an expert by any means but all of the research I've done and everything I've read still classifies it as a wheat product. As a side note - and not to push it - I recently bought some of this pasta on-line at an Italian website - http://www.ceriellof...heat Pasta.html - just in case you're looking for more info on it.

Happy Holidays!

#4 pamelaD

pamelaD

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

Farro is made from a very close relative of wheat.

It is NOT gluten free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: