This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Rotate Food Groups?

Felidae

Felidae Enthusiast

Okay, there has been a lot of discussion on food intolerances lately and how we should not eat the same things everyday. How does a Gluten-free Casein-free person not eat rice, corn and potatoes everyday. I have a high metabolism and eat every two to three hours (except when I'm sleeping even though I would love to be eating then too). I could eat rice, rice cakes or crackers, rice pasta or bread, corn tortillas or tortilla chips, and various potato dishes all in one day. Of course I eat fruit, veggies, nuts, beans, eggs, some fish and some meat. I guess I am most worried that I may build an intolerance to rice and corn. What else is there for carbs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I have a chart done up in Word but it's in table format so I can't post it here. I took it directly out of a book that rotated food groups. If you want me to I can try to revise it to post here or I can email it to you. It was originally based on a anti-candida rotation diet. It was naturally low in gluten, but it does have some milk items listed...you would just have to ignore those. It was strict, but the six months I followed that I felt the best I have in years (I wasn't gluten-free or casein-free at that time because I hadn't figured that all out yet, lol).

skinnyminny Enthusiast
I have a chart done up in Word but it's in table format so I can't post it here. I took it directly out of a book that rotated food groups. If you want me to I can try to revise it to post here or I can email it to you. It was originally based on a anti-candida rotation diet. It was naturally low in gluten, but it does have some milk items listed...you would just have to ignore those. It was strict, but the six months I followed that I felt the best I have in years (I wasn't gluten-free or casein-free at that time because I hadn't figured that all out yet, lol).

I would love to see the chart if you get a chance, I feel like I eat too much of the same stuff and would hate to get an intolerance to something else other than gluten and milk! thanks!

aikiducky Apprentice
Okay, there has been a lot of discussion on food intolerances lately and how we should not eat the same things everyday. How does a Gluten-free Casein-free person not eat rice, corn and potatoes everyday. I have a high metabolism and eat every two to three hours (except when I'm sleeping even though I would love to be eating then too). I could eat rice, rice cakes or crackers, rice pasta or bread, corn tortillas or tortilla chips, and various potato dishes all in one day. Of course I eat fruit, veggies, nuts, beans, eggs, some fish and some meat. I guess I am most worried that I may build an intolerance to rice and corn. What else is there for carbs?

Eat more fish and meat. It wil keep your energy levels up longer than carbs do.

Use nuts as a snack - also lots of protein to keep your hunger away. Fruit when you need a quick blood sugar boost.

Vary your rice and corn with other gluten-free grains.

Sweet potato is a good alternative to potato.

Add extra olive oil to warm meals, if you have a high metabolism, you don't need to worry about gaining weight, and olive oil isn't bad for you, and it'll give you additional energy.

But mainly, don't rely mainly on carbs to give you energy. :)

Pauliina

covsooze Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat and would love to see your chart Donna :)

I'm lucky enough to have a very large supermarket close by with a large selection of Asian foods in it. Yesterday, I discovered cassava chips and plantain chips. I've tried the cassava and they're are scrummy - similar to potato chips but tastier if anything. this is great news for me as I'm intolerant to potatoes. Look out for some 'exotic' alternatives to vary your diet if you can.

dlp252 Apprentice

Okay, I'll revise it later so it can be posted here for all to see. It was taken from a book called the Yeast Connection. There is an official website, but I can't remember if the rotation is posted there. The foods are grouped together by families so you wouldn't want to borrow from another day. Any foods that are similar but not part of the same families are separated by a day so you wouldn't be eating them on consecutive days.

dlp252 Apprentice

Here it is...it's broken up into days following a 4-day rotation. Note: I have not removed the milk products, and of course if you know you're sensitive to something I wouldn't eat it...but this would be a good way to see what items are in that same "family" to catch other things you might be eating:

Day 1

Proteins/Meat/Fish/Fowl

Cornish hen

Crab

Egg (chicken)

Pheasant

Rabbit/wild game

Sardines

Scallops

Sole

Tuna

Turbot

Venison

Vegetables

Asparagus

Bean, green/dried

Carrot

Cucumber

Garlic

Onion

Parsley

Parsnip

Pumpkin (other hard shell)

Scallion

Spinach

Sweet bell pepper

Tomato

Flours and Cereals

Amaranth

Arrowroot

Bean flours

Poi, dehydrated

Nuts and Seeds

Carob powder

Cashews

Flax and anise seed

Peanuts

Pumpkin seed

Oils

Flaxseed oil

Olive oil

Soy oil

Sweeteners

Grape juice

Pear juice

Puréed pear

Fruit

Blackberry

Boysenberry

Cranberry

Currants

Grape/raisins

Honeydew/canteloupe

Mango

Pear

Raspberry

Condiments

Anise

Basil

Chervil

Cream of tartar

Dill

Fennel

Gums: guar; acacia

Olive

Oregano

Parsley

Savory

Vanilla

Beverages

Cashew milk

Coffee

Raspberry leaf tea

Rose hips tea

Day 2

Proteins/Meat/Fish/Fowl

Bluefish

Butterfish

Catfish

Duck/duck egg

Goat milk

Lamb

Monkfish

Pike

Scrod/cod

Vegetables

Artichoke, Jerusalem

Bok choy

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Cress

Kale

Mushrooms

Okra

Radish

Sweet potato

Flours and Cereals

Buckwheat

Milo

[Oats]

Nuts and Seeds

Almond

Chia seed

Coconut

Pecan

Sunflower seed

Oils

Almond oil

Sunflower oil

Sweeteners

Puréed nectarine

Pineapple juice

Mashed banana

Fruit

Banana

Cherry

Lemon

Orange

Persimmon

Pineapple nectarine

Rhubarb

Tangerine

Condiments

Cardamom

Clove

Cinnamon

Nutmeg

Peppercorns

Turmeric

Beverages

Almond milk

Decopa

Day 3

Proteins/Meat/Fish/Fowl

Chicken

Flounder

Halibut

Lobster

Orange Roughy

Pork

Shrimp

Whitefish

Vegetables

Artichoke, globe

Beets & greens

Celery/celery root

Chive

Eggplant

Fennel

Leek

Lentils

Lettuces (all)

Pea, green/dried

Shallot

Summer squash

Swiss chard

White potato

Zucchini

Flours and Cereals

Quinoa

Kudzu starch

Nuts and Seeds

Chestnuts (all kinds)

Macadamia nut

Pine nut

Sesame seed

Oils

Safflower oil

Sesame oil

Sweeteners

Apple juice

Aguamiel

Fruit

Apple

Blueberry

Fresh fig

Gooseberry

Kiwi

Papaya

Pomegranate

Strawberry

Watermelon & variety melons

Condiments

Caraway

Celery seed

Coriander

Cumin

Marjoram

Mint

Paprika

Peppermint

Pimiento

Rosemary

Tarragon

Thyme

Beverages

Chamomile tea

Macadamia milk

Mint tea

Peppermint tea

Day 4

Proteins/Meat/Fish/Fowl

Beef/veal

Black sea bass

Grouper

Milk/yogurt

Salmon

Shark

Trout

Turkey

Vegetables

Bamboo shoots

Boniato

Breadfruit

Brussels sprouts

Cabbages, all

Collards

Jicama

Kolrabi

New Zealand spinach

Turnip & greens

Flours and Cereals

Millet

Rice

Tapioca starch

Wild rice

Nuts and Seeds

Brazil nut

Filbert

Poppy seed

Walnut

Oils

Avocado oil

Canola oil

Walnut oil

Sweeteners

Puréed peach

Stevia (herb)

Fruit

Apricot

Avocado

Grapefruit

Lime

Peach

Plaintain

Plum

Prune

Ugly fruit

Condiments

Allspice

Bay leaf

Ginger

Mace

Mustard

Beverages

Black/green tea

Brazil nut milk

Comfrey tea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Different types of beans (black, garbanzo, kidney, etc.), lentils, sweet potatoes (not the same family as regular potatoes), other root vegetables (carrots, rutabegas, turnips, etc.), other grains (millet, quinoa, amaranth, teff, buckwheat, etc.). There are lots of other choices. :-)

bradshank Newbie

i have similar limitations, and the way i've somehow managed to avoid creating new sensitivities is by making sure i don't eat the same thing two days in a row. i know 4 day rotations are better, but i have had periods where i didn't have 4 things to choose from...

SO- while i was down to two types of safe carbohydrates (potatos and buckwheat) i ended up eating only one type of carb a day. it gets BORING, but it works...

good luck.

b

Felidae Enthusiast

Donna thanks for the chart, I think that will be very helpful.

Pauliina, I have been having digestive problems with regular meat and I can't afford organic very often. So, I have tried to increase the amount of fish that I eat. Yep, olive oil is a staple for me. Thanks for your help.

Susie, I love plantain chips, I had them in South America. I haven't seen any up here, the chips that is. I'll have to look for cassava and other interesting exotics.

You are right Tiffany, I have got to start experimenting into the other grains. I have some quinoa and lentils in my pantry. I'll have to try out some turnip recipes too. I already eat a variety of beans, I love them.

Thanks Brad, I guess even a two day rotation would be better than what I am currently doing.

Thanks everyone for the great help.

munchkinette Collaborator

Do you really have to rotate that often? I generally buy stuff at the grocery store and eat it often during that week until it runs out. Then don't buy whatever that is for another week or two.

dlp252 Apprentice
Do you really have to rotate that often? I generally buy stuff at the grocery store and eat it often during that week until it runs out. Then don't buy whatever that is for another week or two.

I just think the rotation helps to keep the diet varied enough so that those who are sort of "predisposed" to intolerances/allergies/etc can recognize food groups and problem foods etc. If you only eat something (or a family) every 4 days, it becomes a little easier to know what bothers you. I don't think the majority of people have to worry about it at all.

At the time my allergist suggested this I was allergic to about 30 things (environmental), and I think he was worried because I was eating the same things every day--i.e., I was having soy milk every day...soy is one of the major allergens...he just didn't want me to develop any other problems because I already had enough, lol. There are some allergists who don't think it's possible to develop allergies that way...I don't know what I think about that, but I kind of knew it was a good thing for me to vary my diet especially at that time.

I also agree with the thought that once our guts heal and immune reactions level out, this becomes much less of an issue.

Guest cassidy

I have done some research on this. I tend to be one of those people who will eat the same thing for a week or so at a time and then not touch it again for a few months. I realize this isn't the best for me, but I'm trying to do better.

From what I read, it isn't recommended to eat the same thing every day. I have also read that if you do develop and allergy to something, if you stop eating it for 6 weeks, you can try introducing it again and you may be able to tolerate it. One article specifically said it wasn't referring to Celiac, but to the allergies that are developed later in life, likely from overeating the same food. So, it doesn't seem like you are creating a permanent situation if you do develop and allergy from eating the same thing over and over.

aikiducky Apprentice
Pauliina, I have been having digestive problems with regular meat and I can't afford organic very often. So, I have tried to increase the amount of fish that I eat. Yep, olive oil is a staple for me. Thanks for your help.
I hear you about the regular versus organic meat... My supermarket had some "corn fed" chicken last week and I thought maybe I wouldn't react to that- it was a quarter of the price of their organic chicken. Well, that was a week ago and I'm bloated and tired and constipated, in other word exactly where I would be a week after a mild glutening. :P:( On a positive note, I only discovered sweet potatoes this winter, it's not exactly a staple in a Northern-European diet. :lol: Turns out I LOVE them. :)

Pauliina

Felidae Enthusiast
I hear you about the regular versus organic meat... My supermarket had some "corn fed" chicken last week and I thought maybe I wouldn't react to that- it was a quarter of the price of their organic chicken. Well, that was a week ago and I'm bloated and tired and constipated, in other word exactly where I would be a week after a mild glutening. :P:( On a positive note, I only discovered sweet potatoes this winter, it's not exactly a staple in a Northern-European diet. :lol: Turns out I LOVE them. :)

Pauliina

I did exactly the same thing. I thought grain-fed but not organic might be okay. I was sick for days.

Archived