4 replies to this topic

#1 mat4mel

mat4mel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:58 AM

My 2 yr old was positive for IgA and IgG antigliadin antibodies..we decided to have my other two kids (ages 3 and 6) tested. My 6 yr old has some symptoms but my 3 yr old seems fine. Anyway my 6 yr old's IgG was 90 but IgA was negative, and my 3 yr old's IgG was 64 and IgA negative. My dr is out of town until the end of May, and besides that, he doesn't know enough about Celiac to give me any answers. I can't get into a GI dr until July. I wish I knew what these tests results meant for my other kids! I am so frustrated! Please help!

Mel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:44 AM

Unfortunately it could mean a lot of things. Their IgG could be elevated for other reasons, or they could be in the pre-Celiac stage of gluten intolerance and have not yet gotten enough damage to their intestines for the IgA antibody levels to be higher, or they could have non-celiac gluten intolerance, which is less severe than Celiac, but still needs the gluten-free diet. It is just too hard to say without further testing. Do you have an appt. with the GI in July? I know it seems too long to wait, but as long as the kids aren't suffering terribly I would suggest you keep that appointment. You could ask to be on the waiting list for any cancelations, but July is not too far away and your kids should be tested more to find out if it is gluten or something else causing the elevated IgG.

The same thing happened with all three of my kids. Positive IgG, negative IgA. I wasnot able to get the testing the doctor wanted through Promethius labs, so we ended up testing them through Enterolab. http://www.enterolab.com
My boys both have non-celiac gluten intolerance and my daughter and I are both Celiac with low levels of damage. This was surprising to me, as sick as I have been all my life I thought I would test positive on the blood tests, but it just didn't work out that way. The kids had quite a few symptoms as well. We are all gluten free now and all of us are doing much better.

Hang in there, and remember that you are doing a great job trying to find out what is wrong with your children, so you can help them be healthy.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 mat4mel

mat4mel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:04 PM

Mariann,

Thank you SO much.

Which tests did you have done at Enterolab? I just can't afford to have all of those tests done.

How will the tests show if they have celiac, or just non-celiac gluten intolerance?

Also, I have been feeding them a gluten-free diet because it is just too risky IMO to have gluten in the house with my 2 yr old recovering. Should I keep giving my other kids gluten for the GI dr in July? Heck, for that matter, how can I be sure my 2 yr old (whose IgA WAS positive) really has Celiac-- should I put her back on gluten too for the GI dr in July?
Please help!

Mel

#4 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

For anyone to have an "official" diagnosis of Celiac Disease, they must have positive blood work and a biopsy. That's according to the medical world, I mean. You should phone the doctor and ask if your daughter should be gluten-free yet, because if the intention is to get an official diagnosis with biopsy, she must stay on gluten until that time.

#5 mat4mel

mat4mel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Gillian, but we have decided not to do the biopsy. When you say positive blood work, I'm not sure if my other kids' blood work would be considered positive for Celiac. That's what I'm trying to figure out!

I'm leaning more and more towards Enterolab, but I just don't know which tests to get. I would love to get all of the tests done, but $300 a child is not an option.

Mel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: