Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce, Anyone?!?

11 posts in this topic

i swear i've been to every store in my city and can't find any hoisin sauce that doesn't contain wheat!!! :blink::rolleyes: can anyone point me in the right direction? does anyone have a recipe to make their own? thanks!

--matt

Ads by Google:

I KNOW I saw one at Whole Foods this week, but I can't remember the brand. I don't think it was their house brand either.

I made some. It was pretty easy. I didn't have the fermented soy beans on hand so I used prunes (with a bit of water) instead. Worked great, tasted wonderful. I just googled up recipes for Hoisin Sauce and picked one that best matched the ingredients I had on hand.

I just confirmed with the company that Dynasty Hoisin and Plum Sauce are both gluten-free. I haven't used it yet, but was thinking I'd have to start reverse engineering my favorite chinese food soon, so just happened to check a few days ago.

Kame brand Hoisin sauce is gluten-free. And it's fairly easy to find...at least in my experience. I use it on practically everything!

Basically all the Kame sauces are gluten-free unless they contain soy sauce. Their added "starch" is from corn. I also recommend the Oyster sauce.

I have your answer--Manufacturer: Dynasty Hoisin Sauce. Found at my local Giant grocery store. Enjoy!

Just wanted to let everyone know I went shopping today for hoisin and oyster sauce and found that Kame brand has wheat in both! Guess they have changed ingredients since the earlier post was written.... I am going to try to find some dynasty sauces at our health store!

Changs make a fantastic light tamari based Hoisin sauce. very yummy.

Hi...does that company make the hoisin peanut/tree nut free too?? I am suuuoer allergic to them, as well as wheat and having Celiacs:( I've had the WORST time finding ANY Asian sauces that do not cantain wheat AND are free of nuts!

The Hoisin Sauce that I use is "Premier Japan" here's their website. http://www.edwardandsons.com/organic_sauce.html

They are based out of California I believe.

Hope this helps.

The customer service people at Kame are wonderful! I have Celiacs AND wheat/peanut/tree nut allergies. They actually called over to Japan to confirm the ingredients. It is Gluten free, but it is, however, made on the same lines as nuts:( Just give them a call with any inquiries.

Kame brand Hoisin sauce is gluten-free. And it's fairly easy to find...at least in my experience. I use it on practically everything!

Basically all the Kame sauces are gluten-free unless they contain soy sauce. Their added "starch" is from corn. I also recommend the Oyster sauce.