5 replies to this topic

#1 Suezboss

Suezboss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

If I ask for it to be steamed, and cooked in a washed pan, would this be OK? I have the Wheat-Free soy sauce that I usually make with my home-made chinese, but was wondering if steamed would be OK? How about the white rice from a chineese take out? Fried rice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 teankerbell

teankerbell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

Steamed rice is fine at an Asian restaurant. Nothing is added to it. I don't know about Fried rice though, depends on whether or not they add soy sauce to it or what kind of oil they use or if they are using a wok that is contaminated. If you are allergic to eggs, then stay a way for sure, but I would still steer clear of it, personally.

I went to Big Bowl and had Kung Pao chicken, which is gluten free with steamed rice with no ill affects.
Laura
Started SCD 3/16/06

Diagnosed by Enterolab 2/06/06
IgA & tTg Positive, Malabsorption negative
HLA-DQB1, 0303 0302
Casein IgA positive
gluten-free 2/8/06
Celiac Blood Panel Normal 2/13/06
Rheumatoid Arthritis 7/05

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

I used to rely on the convience of carry out, but, in my town when no one speaks english, I would not even go there. I have a translation card, but even then, I can see into the kitchen............oh no.

Home made is always better. :)

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

If I get anything at a chinese place, it is steamed shrimp and vegetables. I seemed to have problems with chicken at one place, so I tend to stick with shrimp, but if you are *very* clear that you want *nothing* else on it, it *should* be fine. Someone here once noted that they knew a chinese place that cooked their rice with broth, which you'd want to be careful of, but I haven't seen that myself.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Suezboss

Suezboss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

If I get anything at a chinese place, it is steamed shrimp and vegetables. I seemed to have problems with chicken at one place, so I tend to stick with shrimp, but if you are *very* clear that you want *nothing* else on it, it *should* be fine. Someone here once noted that they knew a chinese place that cooked their rice with broth, which you'd want to be careful of, but I haven't seen that myself.

Thanks, I didn't even think to question the rice, I just assumed it was OK... ahhhhh :o

#6 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

I usually get steamed chicken or shrimp and veggies. I take a small bottle of La Choy soy sauce with me and no longer use the dining cards at this particular resturant as they know me. I get the stamed rice and have not had a problem in the half dozen or so trips with eat in / take out.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: