Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Take Out Chinese Food

6 posts in this topic

If I ask for it to be steamed, and cooked in a washed pan, would this be OK? I have the Wheat-Free soy sauce that I usually make with my home-made chinese, but was wondering if steamed would be OK? How about the white rice from a chineese take out? Fried rice?

Ads by Google:

Steamed rice is fine at an Asian restaurant. Nothing is added to it. I don't know about Fried rice though, depends on whether or not they add soy sauce to it or what kind of oil they use or if they are using a wok that is contaminated. If you are allergic to eggs, then stay a way for sure, but I would still steer clear of it, personally.

I went to Big Bowl and had Kung Pao chicken, which is gluten free with steamed rice with no ill affects.

I used to rely on the convience of carry out, but, in my town when no one speaks english, I would not even go there. I have a translation card, but even then, I can see into the kitchen............oh no.

Home made is always better. :)

Lisa

If I get anything at a chinese place, it is steamed shrimp and vegetables. I seemed to have problems with chicken at one place, so I tend to stick with shrimp, but if you are *very* clear that you want *nothing* else on it, it *should* be fine. Someone here once noted that they knew a chinese place that cooked their rice with broth, which you'd want to be careful of, but I haven't seen that myself.

If I get anything at a chinese place, it is steamed shrimp and vegetables. I seemed to have problems with chicken at one place, so I tend to stick with shrimp, but if you are *very* clear that you want *nothing* else on it, it *should* be fine. Someone here once noted that they knew a chinese place that cooked their rice with broth, which you'd want to be careful of, but I haven't seen that myself.

Thanks, I didn't even think to question the rice, I just assumed it was OK... ahhhhh :o

I usually get steamed chicken or shrimp and veggies. I take a small bottle of La Choy soy sauce with me and no longer use the dining cards at this particular resturant as they know me. I get the stamed rice and have not had a problem in the half dozen or so trips with eat in / take out.

Tom

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Aly and welcome You may want to repost this in a new thread, that way more people will see it and can advise you.  I think you would be much better off getting the celiac test now, if you stay off gluten you will need to go back on it and that can be much harder. That said, loads of your symptoms look like they could be gluten related.  I had a persistent 'trapped nerve' for instance under my eye which would twitch like crazy. Since I went gluten-free doesn't happen any more.  Best of luck! Matt
    • Your scalp sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. I have that and although its better after going gluten-free its very persistent. The dermatologist recommended Nizoral shampoo for it and it does help. I think dairy has a big part to play with skin problems, for me at least. 
    • I was diagnosed this year and I live on Oahu. I have yet to meet another celiac, so that tells you something about our limitations here. I work in Waikiki and do frequent Rouffage. It is nothing fancy, small place, but keeps me fed when I need something. I also like Greens and Vines. It is a vegan restaurant and worth every penny. Greens and vines sets up at the KCC farmers market on Saturdays too. Places in Waikiki that do offer a gluten-free menu include, PF Changs, Dennys, Big City Diner and California Pizza kitchen. I do not trust those places due to the risk, but they "offer" gluten-free options. I did try and order a beer at Yard House in Waikiki. They label clearly states that it contained wheat, so yeah sent that back with the waiter. I have also tied Doraku in Waikiki. I called ahead and spoke with management. That went well and they offer gluten free soy sauce. There is a deli at Down to Earth Grocery store in Honolulu that has gluten-free options, but the whole foods here do not offer hot food that is gluten free. They do have a hot food bar, but you have to stick to the whole plain salad and veggie options. It's good to hear the hotels here are getting better, beyond Waikiki hotels there is no one really interested in being gluten free.
    • Just found this site today. Did you ever find one? I was diagnosed this year and I live on Oahu.
    • I was diagnosed this year and I live on Oahu. I have yet to meet another celiac, so that tells you something about our limitations here. I work in Waikiki and do frequent Rouffage. It is nothing fancy, small place, but keeps me fed when I need something. I also like Greens and Vines. It is a vegan restaurant and worth every penny. Greens and vines sets up at the KCC farmers market on Saturdays too. Places in Waikiki that do offer a gluten-free menu include, PF Changs, Dennys, Big City Diner and California Pizza kitchen. I do not trust those places due to the risk, but they "offer" gluten-free options. I did try and order a beer at Yard House in Waikiki. They label clearly states that it contained wheat, so yeah sent that back with the waiter. I have also tied Doraku in Waikiki. I called ahead and spoke with management. That went well and they offer gluten free soy sauce. There is a deli at Down to Earth Grocery store in Honolulu that has gluten-free options, but the whole foods here do not offer hot food that is gluten free. They do have a hot food bar, but you have to stick to the whole plain salad and veggie options. It's good to hear the hotels here are getting better, beyond Waikiki hotels there is no one really interested in being gluten free.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    drennanw