This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do Our Pets Have Celiac?

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I thought this was a really good article. :)

Nevermind...the link doesnt work <_<

I'll see if I can find it again.

Oh well...I guess its seen as an advertisement but as far as I can tell its not. It was a cool article. :(

Sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast
I thought this was a really good article. :)

Nevermind...the link doesnt work <_<

I'll see if I can find it again.

Oh well...I guess its seen as an advertisement but as far as I can tell its not. It was a cool article. :(

Sorry.

Was it this one? <a href="Open Original Shared Link Advertisement/id1.html" target="external ugc nofollow">Open Original Shared Link Advertisement/id1.html</a>

Ha! Apparently tripod . com gets turned into lame advertisement. Uh... lets see if I can outsmart the censor:

Eliminate the spaces in this: dogtorj . tripod . com / id1.html

jerseyangel Proficient

I was able to access it--will read it tomorrow when I have more time--thanks to both of you :D

plantime Contributor

This article was most interesting, thank you for posting the link to it!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Hi my friends!

I was hoping some one had the URL to the above information. I wasn't as swift as the other's to pull it up.

No long ago my dog died, and the diet the vet put her on (before I knew what I know about celiac disease) the dog food was free of wheat, it was replaced with peanut shells, and her poop was alway pale and crumbly. I'm wondering if my dog died from celiac disease. I have another little dog now and he has many of the same symptons.

I'd enjoy reading more information. If you can repost the link or copy and paste the artice, it would be helpful. :)

Thanx again

Guest nini

I have a cat that was actually dx'ed with Bulimia about 7 years ago! Because of his compulsive eating, and vomiting... seriously, the cat would binge and purge. He was considerably overweight too. Also he was very picky with his food and would only eat "junk food" otherwise known as Purina Cat Chow, full of gluten. Over the past year after our two older cats died, one from kidney failure and the other one from old age, this one started losing a lot of weight, throwing up more and losing his fur in patches. After reading about someone else's cat being dx'ed as gluten intolerant or Celiac, I decided to try him on a gluten-free diet. I found a cat food at my health food store that he LOVES, he hasn't thrown up in over three weeks, he is putting weight back on again and wow, his coat looks amazing! All the bald patches are growing back and his coat is so soft and shiny!

I have a Celiac Cat!!! LOL!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

When my cat was just a small kitten he suddenly lost all of his hair. The vet said maybe he was allergic to corn. I dont really remember what we did back then but his hair grew back and never fell out like that again. Its been like 12 years and now I'm thinking the food allergy or whatever it is never really went away. My cat throws up all the time...its been like this his whole life. The last few years he gets some kind of rash on his face...sometimes the hair falls out. I know it itches him cuz hes always rubbing his face on the furniture sometimes until it bleeds. Then it will get better for awhile...it comes and goes. I think it must be food related but hes been on the same food forever....I cant switch it cuz then he barfs even more. The food he eats is Iams dry food (orange bag). I never saw wheat in the ingredients. Does anyone know what foods are gluten-free? Is Iams gluten-free? I'm not at home right now so cant look at the bag but I think I might look into this...it would be great if my cat stopped barfing after all these years.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The dog food I feed my dog was called WD it's by RX only sold by a VET.

I noticed most of you're babies are cats. They also sell cat food too.

I dug out an old can I still have and I found their web site Open Original Shared Link I think it will take you there.

The can had a phone number listed 1.800.445.5777 for questions

Just a note -- as I just read the ingedients in the WD CAN dog food it listed eggs, corn and cracked pearled barley... they have several different types. I was feeding the dog the DRY food and it didn't have those things in it. The can food was for rare occasions...

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Dogtorj is a member of another forum I am on. He is a veternarian and is quite serious about animals having celiacs too. There is gluten free pet food out there on the market now. He has very interesting posts in: Open Original Shared Link Many of the members refer to him with problems. Pets have many of the same problems we do. Deb

plantime Contributor

I had a cat that had celiac. She was very small and thin, always had diarrhea, and would meow in a painful sounding way sometimes. I spoke to the vet about it, and she said my cat was lacking the digestive enzyme required to eat wheat-based food, and that it is very common in cats. I said, "You mean my cat has Celiac Disease?!?" I switched her to a non-gluten food, but it was too late: she had developed a form of breast cancer and died not long after. The cats I have now only get glutenfree food. I will have to change my dog's food, I want him to live a long, healthy life!

Nancym Enthusiast

I decided a while back that feeding any grain or the amount of carbs to cats we do feed them is bad. I think that is why so many become diabetic and overweight. I have my cat on a raw diet now. I feed him raw food, with ground bones if I can get it. He seems to be doing well!

debbiewil Rookie

I switched my cats to Innova Evo a couple of months ago. It's completely grain free. They love it and seem to be doing fine on it. I suppliment with raw food several times a week (which I've been doing for a couple of years.) There are occassionally times now when they turn up their noses at the raw food (I was in the mood for turkey tonight, not chicken!) and eat the Evo instead. They never refused the raw food when I fed them any other cat food. And they have never been on grocery store cat food. One was born with a heart murmer, (the white one) and has always had special food only sold by the vet. And since he always did his best to steal some of the other cat's food, I made sure that the black cat got top of the line food too.

Debbie

jerseyangel Proficient

Debbie--Your cats are just beautiful! What are their names?

lonewolf Collaborator

I didn't read the article and I don' have cats, but... I talked to a vet a few months ago (long story how we got on this topic) and he said that cats are the only animal he knows of that can get celiac disease, but they can also get it from other foods - it's the damage to the intestines and secondary problems that are considered celiac, not the trigger.

I know this is a silly question... but I'm a sillyak... lol

They say celiac disease isn't contagious. But could it be? And could we get it or give it to our pets.

As I read these posts and think back in time I find a connection in time with me getting celiac disease and my pet living with me and me getting sick. My dog died young very skinny and had a di·ar·rhe·a with many of the same symtoms I have with celiac disease.

Also I have another little dog now. He was with me about 5 months prior to the other dogs death. Then I had radiation on my thyroid and the tech that did it to me told me to keep my little doggie away from my thyroid gland. You know like picking him up close to my face/neck and giving him a kiss or sleeping with me. I kept him away but I later found out the radioactive material didn't leave my body as fast as my doc had hoped and it was in my system longer then we thought. My doggie sleeps on my pillow with me then and now. He has developed many health issues now.

Any ideas about how we and dogs and cat get celiac disease?

jerseyangel Proficient

Ms. SS--Celiac is a genetic, autoimmune disease. That means we are born with the necessary gene, but we also need a trigger (virus, surgery, stress, etc.) and gluten to activate it. There is no way that we can 'catch' it from either a pet or another person. It tends to run in families, so more than one person in a family can have it, but they didn't catch it from one another. With a pet, it's coincidance :) . PS--did you notice in the Soprano's that the common link between a lot of the stories was stomach troubles? Was going to PM you, but since I'm here......

Archived