This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chapstick Brand

minibabe

minibabe Contributor

I have not been feeling well, and I would really like to pin point the culprit. Is chapstick gluten-free or not and if it is which ones are gluten-free. And does anyone else share chapstick with there signifigant other that is not gluten-free.

Amanda NY

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

It is not the sharing the chapstick that is making you sick, it is the chapstick itself. Regular and medicated are not gluten free.

Hope the will help you solve the problem. :o

I have traded in my cherrished chapstick for berts bee's honey lip balm. I have forgotten my chapstick and now love my berts if not more.

minibabe Contributor

OMG are you serious!!!!!!! I LOVE MY CHAPSTICK!!!!!!!

As soon as I get home, i will have to run to the store and get burts, if you say that it is good and you were a former chapstick lover, well then I hope that I too will love burts.

This is so frustrating.

THank you

Amanda NY

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I use either Burts or Lobello.

jerseyangel Proficient

I use Badger Balm--the kind that comes in the tube like chapstick. My Whole Foods has it right near the registers.

jmengert Enthusiast

I second Badger Balm--great stuff! You can get it at Whole Foods, Wegman's, or other health food stores.

PreOptMegs Explorer

Is Blistex gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cshaw Newbie

Hmmm. My dx son recently got sick, and I was trying to find the source. He used Chapstick Lip Moisturizer. I contacted Wyeth Consumer (1-800-322-3129) and rec'd this email note from them on 3/10/06:

"The following list of Chap Stick products are deemed gluten free based on certification from our suppliers for all raw materials that go into the product. This certification is based on the fact that these products were not made from wheat, rye, oats, triticale, or barley and do not contain any ingredients that were derived from those grains. Those are the grains that contain the gliadin form of gluten. However, we do not test the finished product.

Chap Stick Lip Balm Cherry

Chap Stick Lip Balm Medicated Stick

Chap Stick Lip Balm Mint

Chap Stick Lip Balm Regular

Chap Stick Lip Balm Strawberry

Chap Stick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, stick

Chap Stick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, tube

Wyeth Consumer Healthcare"

That said, I'm still changing my son's chapstick based on other posts - just to be on the safe side

When I'm not sure, I don't use the product. ;)

Guest nini

I got the same confirmation of the particular Chap sticks that are considered gluten-free... my daughter uses the flava craze ones with no problems which the lady on the phone said were gluten-free... personally I don't like Chapstick, so I stick with Burts Bees.

bluelotus Contributor

Chapstick is gluten free (the regular flavors anyway) - I have checked this 2x, most recently only a couple of months ago.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I had checked Chapstick, and they told me that it did contain gluten . . . I think they're giving out conflicting information . . .

Don't know about Blistex, but I do know that Carmex is gluten-free, so is Burt's Bees, Badger Balm . . . I think everybody's listed those, though. . . . .

Canadian Karen Community Regular

These are listed on Delphi as okay:

ChapStick (Wyeth Consumer Healthcare Products) (888-797-5638) (ve= 01/18/05)

ChapStick All Natural

ChapStick Cold Sore Therapy

ChapStick Flava Craze SPF 15 Tropical Twist

ChapStick Lip Balm Cherry

ChapStick Lip Balm Medicated Stick

ChapStick Lip Balm Medicated Squeeze Tube

ChapStick Lip Balm Mint

ChapStick Lip Balm Regular

ChapStick Lip Balm Strawberry

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, Stick

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer SPF-15, Tube

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer Vanilla Mint SPF-15

ChapStick Lip Moisturizer Vanilla Raspberry SPF-15

ChapStick LipSations Lip Moisturizer, Glitter

ChapStick LipSations Lip Moisturizer Gloss

ChapStick Overnight Lip Treatment (with Hydroxy Acids)

ChapStick Sun Zone Flava CrazeSPF 15 Wild Crazeberry

ChapStick Sun Zone Ultra 30 Berry

ChapStick Ultra SPF 30 Lemon-lime

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze - (Blue Crazeberry)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze -(Fruit Punch)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze -(Grape)

Children’s ChapStick Flava Craze SPF15 (Watermelon Splash

Blistex (2-17-03)

Blistex Relief Cream

Blistex (Blistex, Inc.) (888-784-2472) (http://www.blistex.com) (ve=07/31/03)

Lip Ointment, Lip Balm (regular, mint, berry), Ultra Lip Balm stick, Lip Tone Stick,

Complete Moisture Stick, Daily Conditioning Treatment SPF-20 Ointment/Salve, Herbal Answer

Lip Balm Stick, Herbal Answer Gel, Lip Medex Ointment/Salve, Lip Revitatlizer Gel,

Kank-A-Liquid, Silk & Shine Stick, Smoothies Sticks (Berry Explosion, Melon Medley, Triple

Tropical), Clear Advance Stick)

Bonne Bell (ve=2-15-05) The following Bonne Bell, Inc. products can be used by people

afflicted with Celiac disease. They do not contain any gluten containting grains: wheat,

barley, rye, oats, amaranth, teff, millet, spelt, and quinoa. We do recommend that celiac

patients steer clear of all Strawberry flavored products because vinegar is used for the

tart taste. The rep also indicated that any gluten containing grains would be clearly

identified on the label by its common name.

10-0-6 Lotions

All Colognes

Lip Lites

Lip Enticements

Lip Fashion

Sponge-On Sparklers

Shower 2000

Lip Lix

Lip Gear Lip Crayons

Eye Shades

No Shine Oil Control Makeup

Lip Shades with SPF 15

Lip Sheers

Nail Lacquers

Cosmic Cheeks

Lash Tints

Glimmer Gels

Roll-On Lip Smacker Shiners and Shimmers

Roll-On Glitter Gloss

Lip Gear (Matte only)

Lip Shox

Eye D¡¦Votion

Splash N Shine

Honey Kiss

Glitz N Glo

Liquid Lines

Pressed Poweders

Lip Burst

Lip Frosting

Lip Shake

Colorglaze

Face and Body Sparkle

Sheer Shimmer Swirls

Lip Smoothies

Liquid Lip Smackers

All Skittles Flavors

Eye Pencils

Lip Rush

Sponge on Glitter Gloss

Jewell Lip Smackers

Lip Sours

Lip D¡¦Votions

All Clic It Colors

Glimmer Lights

Liquid Star Shine

Shimmer Stix

All Starburst Flavors

Lip Definer

Lip Shiners

Make Your Own Gloss Kits

Sweet and Sour Candies

Shiny Stixs

Candy Gloss

All Vita Gloss

Blushing Gels

Loose Powders

Concealer Stick

Neutrogena (Johnson & Johnson) (800-582-4048) (www.neutrogena.com) (ve=03/26/04)

Overnight Lip Therapy

Lip Boost Intense Moisture Lipstick SPF 20

Lip Boost Intense Moisture Therapy

Lip Moisturizer SPF 15

Lip Nutrition- All

NOTE: Some Norwegian Line products contain small amounts of Oatmeal and the company

considers this to be gluten-free . Norwegian Body Emulsion and Regular Lotion contain NO oatmeal.

Reading labels is recommended as well as calling company if there are questions.

Vaseline Intensive Care (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

New Solutions Skin; Vaseline Lip Therapy; Petroleum Jelly; Advanced Healing

Vaseline" (<Vaseline.Comments@unilever.com> ) (ve=2/27/03)

Personally, I use Vaseline.

Karen

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I wrote to Chapstick freaking out about the overnight lip balm I use - here is there answer (similar to cshaw's):

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chap Stick® Overnight Lip Treatment, Chapstick® Medicated and, Chap Stick® Lip Balm-Regular. Your interest in our products is appreciated.

Chap Stick Overnight Lip Treatment, Chap Stick Medicated and Chap Stick Lip Balm-Regular are all deemed gluten free. This is based on certifications provided by the raw materials suppliers for all raw materials that go into the products. We do not test the final products.

At present time, we do not have a gluten free list. We recommend that prior to using one of our products, you contact us at the phone number listed below to obtain the gluten status of our products,

If you or someone you know has used one of our Chap Stick products and experienced an adverse event or unwanted side effect, we ask that you contact us at your earliest convenience so that we may obtain additional information for our Global Safety Department.

Wyeth Consumer Healthcare is firmly committed to the manufacture and sale of only the finest quality products and is grateful that you took the time to contact us. Should you have additional questions, please call 1-800-322-3129. Our offices are open weekdays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Karen, you rock! :P ((((((((hugs))))))) Lynne

Lisa Mentor

Ok.........I'm sorry, I broke the cardinal rule, which is don't post until you know for sure. ( well, at least I posted on the side of caution, whew)

When I joind the site in August there was a little this or that about chapstick and at that time after being sooo sick, I put it aside and opted for Burts Bee's. There was sooo much to learn in a short period of time

Sorry if I led a rant bout chapsick without proper documentation.

Humbly, me :(

minibabe Contributor

well, reguardless I am not going to be using it anymore because chapstick cant get there story straight! but thank you everyone for posting.....i picked up burtys bee's last night thanks again :)

amanda NY

You have a point there. That's exactly why I use Vaseline. I trust it. Nothin' fancy about it. ;)

But hey, take my advice with a grain of salt! After all, I am the one who praises the virtues of Preparation "H" Cooling Gel under the eyes for puffiness! It's as good as a spa treatment!

Hugs.

Karen

tarnalberry Community Regular
well, reguardless I am not going to be using it anymore because chapstick cant get there story straight! but thank you everyone for posting.....i picked up burtys bee's last night thanks again :)

amanda NY

Burt's Bees (particularly the peppermint) tastes better anyway! (I love that stuff! And it's got a healthier composition of ingredients!)

Lisa Mentor
You have a point there. That's exactly why I use Vaseline. I trust it. Nothin' fancy about it. ;)

But hey, take my advice with a grain of salt! After all, I am the one who praises the virtues of Preparation "H" Cooling Gel under the eyes for puffiness! It's as good as a spa treatment!

Hugs.

Karen

Don't let us get started on the vaseline issue.... :D:D:D

Gotta keep my straightjacket on, it is a full moon, ya know! ;):lol:

Hugs!

Karen

jknnej Collaborator

I've been using Chapstick all this time with no reactions so it must be gluten-free. I get sick really easily.

Lisa Mentor
Gotta keep my straightjacket on, it is a full moon, ya know! ;):lol:

Hugs!

Karen

Oh yeah, I did notice the full moon........if you go back in your shell, we'll have no fun Karen, eh. B)

Don't worry, it would only be temporary! I have a Mike Myers' type voice inside my head saying: "OH, BEHAVE!!!" (It must be a message from one Scarberian to another). He grew up 5 minutes from my place in Scarborough......

Hugs!

Karen

Besides, if I start praising the virtues of all the uses for Vaseline, I could REALLY, REALLY get in trouble!!!! LOL! :lol::P:o

minibabe Contributor
Burt's Bees (particularly the peppermint) tastes better anyway! (I love that stuff! And it's got a healthier composition of ingredients!)

I did not know that they had peppermint.....I got the honey flavored one. It is okay, but the B/F was like it smells funny. But I had him replace all of his chapsticks also :) . He is so sweet :D

I've been using Chapstick all this time with no reactions so it must be gluten-free. I get sick really easily.

I get sick really easily to. Since I have been on the gluten-free diet I still feel like garbage. I just really want to make and effort to do EVERYTHING that I can. So that I can wake up one morning and say "I FEEL GREAT TODAY" (but, I am still waiting for that day <_< )

Besides, if I start praising the virtues of all the uses for Vaseline, I could REALLY, REALLY get in trouble!!!! LOL! :lol::P:o

This has potential to get really interesting...... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived