Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Very Uncomfortable Endoscopy

5 posts in this topic

My niece, nephew, and sister were recently diagnosed with celiac disease. So, I looked up the symptoms and decided that I probably had it too. :o I had the blood work done two weeks ago and tested as a "weak positive". I had the endoscopy last Thursday and I had great difficulty. :( My doctor thinks that I have a very strong gag reflex because the numbing throat spray did not work as it should have. I will spare you the details. Has anyone else had this expereince? I am so scared that the results will be inconclusive and I will have to re-biopsied. I have vowed to not do the procedure again unless it is a mater of life or death. :angry:

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.

Ads by Google:

I am sorry you had trouble. I had the endoscopy and they did not use the throat spray BUT they did sedate me with Versed, it puts you in a twilight sleep and I did NOT feel a thing. Oh and my results showed "patchy inflammation" but was not enough for a dx, so I decided to get tested through Enterolab and it came back positive, went gluten-free and could tell a difference within days!

If it were me and my blood results showed a weak positive I would try the gluten-free diet to see if I improved, there is no way I would go through all the testing again, of course that is just me ;)

If your doctor didn't sedate you and then give you something like Versed to keep you from remembering the procudeure then I'd find another doctor. I don't remember the first thing about either one of my procedures.

richard

Thank you for your feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I have an appointment on Friday to get the results of the biopsy. I am thinking that even if it is inconclusive I should go gluten-free because of the blood results, family members having celiac disease, and multiple symptoms which are consistent with celiac disease.

Actually, I was sedated through my IV and when I started having difficulty, they gave me more anesthesia through my IV. The doctor said that he gave me twice as much as he would have under normal circumstances. Also, the same doctor did my niece and nephew's procedures and they did not have any difficulties. So, I tend to believe that it wasn't him, but some odd reaction by my body.

Thanks again!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Oh, Trish at the GlutenFreeWatchDog tested Planter's honey roasted peanuts three years ago.  The can did not state gluten-free, but showed no gluten ingrediants (per Kraft policy).  Test result: less than 5 part per million which is pretty much gluten-free.  
    • What if it were something else that glutened you?  Maybe you ate too much of a good thing?  I once (three months post dx) ate too much gluten-free fried chicken, vomited, passed out and fractured my back (osteoporosis) in the process.  Paramedics, ER doc and Cardio all thought I was having a heart attack.   No.  It was sheer gluttony and bad bones.  Not good to overload with a damaged gut.    Maybe you did get some contaminated nuts.  Afterall, anything processed is suspect.  What might be well tolerated by some, might be too much for others.  We all have our various levels of gluten intolerance.   The old 20 parts per million is just a guideline, but science does not really know (lack of funding......doe anyone really care enough to find out?)  My hubby has been gluten-free for 15 years.  When I was first diagnosed, I tried to eat the gluten-free foods that I normally gave him.   Problem was he was healed and I was not.  Things like Xanthan Gum in commercial processed gluten-free breads make me feel like I have been glutened, but it is just (and still is) an intolerance.  So no bread for me unless I make it myself using a different gum.   Too lazy, so I do without.   so, ask your doctor if you really want to know or lay off the cashews and test them again in a month using a certified gluten-free nut.  I wish this was easier!    
    • I have intolerances to a few foods now, so I was wondering about that.. I love cashews though, and a month or two ago I was eating them all the time with no problems at all. I mean, could I really have developed an intolerance to them since then? I don't know if they're made on shared lines (it didn't say on the package so I assumed they weren't), but I'll give them a call. I'm really, really sensitive to cross contamination. Even if something is just made in the same facility (but not on shared lines) it will make me sick. If that's not it, then I'm not really sure
    • Research with KP and find a celiac-savvy GI in your area ( read the biographies). and ask your PCP/GP for a referral to that specific GI (not his buddy).  Ask the GI for the rest  of the celiac panel or proceed with an endoscopy/biopsies -- 4 to six.  Keep eating gluten daily until all testing is complete.  Document and request in writing.  Do not worry about symptoms.  There are over 300 of them and some celiacs have none!   Research all that you can about celiac disease.  The University of Chicago has a great celiac website that has testing Information etc.   Poet me know how it works out.  Hope you feel better soon!  
    • I react to both wheat and barley.  I've opted to just go completely gluten free, for the sake of simplicity and my sanity.  I don't have a diagnosis of celiac disease, but I strongly suspect it.  Unfortunately, I'm not willing to endure the misery of staying on gluten long enough to pursue further testing.  I just know I need to avoid the gluten grains, so I do.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)