- - - - -

Bob Evan's Brand Products (In Stores)

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_spruette_*

Guest_spruette_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

I have been eating Bob Evan's Mashed Potatoes thinking nothing of it because on the allergy list it does not say anything about wheat. It has in bold....

allergens: milk

Well, I was sick and couldn't figure this out. So I decided to check everything in the house that I had eaten to find out what was causing it.

Lo and behold the Bob Evan's mashed potatoes had in their ingredient list in regular (blending with the others) list wheat.

WHY DID THEY NOT PUT THAT IN THE ALLERGEN AREA THEN?!? Grrrrr. It was my fault for not checking the ingredients but me being so trusting figured they would play it safe since the milk was in the allergen list and trusted them to put wheat there too.

Lesson Learned: Even if it is not in the allergen list, check ingredients.

Two thumbs down for Bob Evan's not posting that with the allergens however. Never again.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mmaccartney

mmaccartney

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

Packaged foods are the same way, the manufactorer is allowed to list the ingredient "buried" in the ingredient list, or in an allergen statement at the end, their choice. Always read carefully!
Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26
gluten / casein intolerant
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)
Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:
Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk
William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

#3 Guest_spruette_*

Guest_spruette_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

Oops... I don't eat at the restaurant. I mean the mashed potato boxes you get at the grocery store by Bob Evans. They are in the fridge sections.

Stay away from them. Wheat is in them.

But that is very interesting that they were so rude to you! Because I have had a similar experience elsewhere. Honestly, ignorance is not always bliss.

#4 Lukalovescats

Lukalovescats

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone know if their mashed potatoes still contain wheat (refridgerator)? My girls came home on Monday from their other home and haven't felt right since. My youngest asked about the Bob Evans and I can't find anything else on-line.

#5 bfbarbara

bfbarbara

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

The company Bob Evans, seems to have become enlightened since these posts were written. I called them and asked about their mashed potatoe products that are sold in supermarkets. They told me that their original, cheddar and Texas are gluten free. The sour cream and chives variety are NOT gluten free. They added that their bacon, all sausage (except the beer brat), ham cubes, ham steaks and Texas chili are also gluten free. These are supermarket products. I did not ask about what is sold in restaurants. I did suggest to them that their web site should contain a list of gluten free products so that you wouldn't have to call.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

The company Bob Evans, seems to have become enlightened since these posts were written. I called them and asked about their mashed potatoe products that are sold in supermarkets. They told me that their original, cheddar and Texas are gluten free. The sour cream and chives variety are NOT gluten free. They added that their bacon, all sausage (except the beer brat), ham cubes, ham steaks and Texas chili are also gluten free. These are supermarket products. I did not ask about what is sold in restaurants. I did suggest to them that their web site should contain a list of gluten free products so that you wouldn't have to call.

You are very kind to provide an update, but this original thread is 5 years old and the original poster may not see it. Just so you know! :) Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: