This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac & Breastfeeding Info

angielackner

angielackner Contributor

I just finished a breast feeding class in prep for our new arrival in a month or so, and got some info that i thought i'd share. i asked the question whether or not food intolerances/avoiding certain foods would affect the nutrients that our baby would get through breast milk. they wont by the way....but what we did learn through the instructor's reference book is that people with celiac should breast feed exclusively for as long as possible, and ideally hold off on even introducing solids/other foods for up to 8 months if possible vs. the normal 5-6 months. this helps lessen the chances of the baby getting celiac or other similar problems. i figured that was good to know...i will definitely be bringing that up to our pediatrician when we meet him in a week or so :) just thought i'd share.

angie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

The only thing I see wrong with what you're saying is that someone can't "get" Celiac Disease. The rest is right on though.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

If you're planning to breastfeed, that's wonderful! Best for you, best for baby--in every way!

The best advice I ever got was when my sister-in-law told me to ask for the lactation consultant (they have them at every hospital) BEFORE there was a problem. Keep in mind that the doctors (pediatricians AND ObGYNs) usually know next to nothing about breastfeeding. One of the pediatricians we saw did more to screw up nursing than I thought humanly possible.

With your first baby, your milk is likely to come in more slowly than with subsequent babies, so the suggested schedule of nursing every 2-3 hours during the first couple of weeks very likely won't be enough to start your milk supply. The lactation consultants know this; the MDs do NOT. Apparently, they don't teach lactation in medical school, or else the info is given to them by formula companies. The nurses don;t know, either--I had one scold me for nursing my second baby "too often." She actually told me to make him wait for 2 hours. I asked her if she would like to teach him to tell time! ;) But I ended up in tears until the lactation consultant came in and told me that the more often I fed the baby, the earlier and more plentifully my milk would come in, and that the nurse didn't know what she was talking about.

With my first baby, I dutifully followed a 2-3 hour nursing schedule like they told me, pumping when the baby wouldn't wake up to nurse--and my millk didn't come in til the 5th day, by which time my baby was getting dehydrated. The answer was NOT to supplement with formula, but to nurse more often--every hour to hour-and-a-half.

I know that sounds insane and impossible, but it does work. And it's actually a good way of getting a LOT more rest ("Sorry, honey, I can't get dinner ready because I have to feed the baby...") Pacifiers and supplemental bottles are THE fastest way to lower your milk supply. Pacifiers are probably hard to avoid if your baby is in day care,but, by the time your baby is in daycare, your milk supply is (hopefully) well-established.

The bottom line is, the doctors know about as much about breastfeeding as they know about celiac. :angry: Thankfully, there are lactation consultants and also the LaLeche League. Some of the LaLeche League Leaders are a little overbearing, but I think this is because they are so frustrated with the doctors and nurses who know so little about breastfeeding. Just like celiac, after a while you feel like your only dialog with the doctors involves banging your head on the brick wall that they have become.

mommida Enthusiast

Please read up on breastfeeding or take a class before you give birth (if possible).

The nurse that came in and tried to tell me how to breast feed, was nasty. It was better to have her leave, or I was going to kill her. She did not tell me anything helpful and was not a lactation consultant. If the hospital is too busy or understaffed you may be on your own.

Laura

KayJay Enthusiast
:) We are going through this right now. Maddie was having problems tolerating any foods so the GI doctor told me to just nurse her until she is 8+ months. The reason is because all babies have a leaky gut. That is how they absorb nutrition. Well, most of their guts begin to heal at 3-4 months of age. My baby and maybe yours is healing slowly. So when she has solids it irritates her gut leaks and irritates the intestines. Never giving them a chance to heal. By exclusively breastfeeding you will allow time for the gut to seal and hopefully it will delay if not prevent the onset of Celiac of other allergies. :)
TeachK71 Rookie

Here is something that sort of relates to this topic...well at least talks about when to introduce grains. My friend had sent me an article stating this same thing about a year ago, but I just found it again online, the full article is at Open Original Shared Link. It is from USA Weekend. It's interesting that they didn't mention barley, rye or oats. Anyway, here it is.

Here is the one part that mentions Celiac's.

Researchers from the University of Colorado recently found that children who were given cereal grains at 3 months were at higher risk for celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by a food allergy to wheat gluten, than those who weren't fed grains until they were 7 months old. There are no official recommendations about when to add wheat to Baby's diet, but William Cochran, M.D., chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics section on Gastroenterology and Nutrition, says parents should wait until Baby is at least 7 months to feed her grains.

Kim

cgilsing Enthusiast

So I wonder then....I know breastfeeding is the best, but if you use a gluten-free formula (like Enfamil) and delay the introduction of gluten into the baby's diet will there be the same decrease in the instance of celiac disease later in life?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angielackner Contributor

i think i am going to really try not to introduce gluten into my baby's life until he is old enough to understand that mommy cant have it....i dont want to prepare glutened foods, and i know once he becomes a toddler, they like to "feed" mommies their food...and i dont want to have to tell him no until he can kinda grasp why. my hubby supports me on this. so now i have to start researching a good gluten free brand of cherios since thats one of the first toddler foods :P granted i have a year or so for that :)

angie

So I wonder then....I know breastfeeding is the best, but if you use a gluten-free formula (like Enfamil) and delay the introduction of gluten into the baby's diet will there be the same decrease in the instance of celiac disease later in life?

It certainly would be better than using a gluten-containing formula, but nothing close to the different kinds of protection breastmilk would give. There are over 100 substances in breastmillk not found in ANY formula, including white blood cells and secretory IgA, which help the baby to develop a healthy immune system (which for us on this forum, is SO important!).

I would suggest that you talk to whatever lactation consultant(s?) might be on the staff of the hospital you plan to deliver at NOW (in other words, BEFORE you desperately need them), and see if you like them. Same thing with the La Leche League. You never know--I think they all mean well, but not all of them are sensitive, and when you're trying to help a confused, exhausted, overwhelmed, and hurting, new mommy who is trying to teach an equally confused baby how to suck (and neither of them know what they're doing)--ya gotta be sensitive! One of my friends who gave birth at a different hospital than I did said that the lactation consultant had her in tears, and actually yelled at her. Not good. The lactation consultant where I gave birth was very patient and supportive.

I was lucky enough to have a wonderful La Leche League Leader in my area. I actually never met her--I talked to her on the phone, and (over the Phone) she coached me through just about every breastfeeding problem in the book. She told me to call her any time (and she had 5 kids and was expecting her 6th), and I swear, I called her every day the first 2 weeks, and after that, about once a week for the next 6 months. She knew so much more than the pediatrician, it was ludicrous.

Warning: if your mother and mother-in-law have not breastfed, they will likely be VERY destructive to your efforts ("Here, Sweetie, get some rest while I give your baby a bottle," etc.). Be prepared! Do you have any local friends who've been through it who can offer you support, or are you the first to try to breastfeed?

Just like staying gluten-free, it makes SO much difference to have support.

Guest Robbin

Very excellent advice from Fiddle Faddle. I had the bad experience with my first child. No support, everyone telling me to give him a bottle, milk wasn't coming in, baby was dehydrating, so I caved and his health problems began. Totally different with second son--I nursed him every hour. He was a super-strong little guy too, so that helped. Just relax, and you will be fine. And do delay giving solids. I waited until 8 months too and still he has so many allergies, but what a nightmare if I hadn't? This is an exciting time for you and you will be great and the baby will get soooo fat with nursing. They get so soft and fat with breast milk and are so much happier and content. I highly recommend it too for your own emotional/physical health. (keep a glass of water with you and drink a lot, it helps) :)

angielackner Contributor

thanx for all the good advice. i know i will have a wonderful support network for breastfeeding, and everything else in general...my mom never did, but thats cuz i was adopted...but she works in birth and family services at the hospital i will be delivering at, and i have grown up there (she's been there for 30 years!) and i know if i need it she will hook me up with the best lactation consultants...all the nurses on the ob floors are extra trained in breastfeeding, so they should be of great assistance while i'm there. and then when i come home, my mom is soooo happy i will be breastfeeding...my MIL breastfed my hubby's brothers (not my hubby though...he is the oldest and she had no support)...so i know she will not undermind me either :D

i will be pumping after about a month though...once the baby is good with breastfeeding...so my hubby can take over at least one feeding regularly...i also have narcolepsy, and have to continue to stay off my ritalin while i breastfeed...so i will need all the help i can get to get extra sleep...we'll see how it goes <_<

angie

mommida Enthusiast

Breastfeeding has a sleepy effect on the mother.

Set up your breastfeeding spot. A comfortable seat with back support, a spot for your glass of water, breast pad supply, and anything you might need within arms reach.

Good luck, and remember to be patient-with your body and your new little one.

Laura

de caps Contributor

Hi, I am currently breastfeeding my third child. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease she was only three months old. I nursed both of her brothers with no problems for them or I. When my daughter was 8 months old I had her tested for the gene for celiac disease. An HLA test. It was positive for the gene for celiac disease. All the other lab test were normal. I was told by the pediatric GI doctor to continue breastfeeding and not to hold off on gluten containing foods. Anyone with a gene for celiac disease has only a 40% chance of developing the disease over their life time. She will be tested yearly by blood work to see if she has developed celiac disease. I am comfortable with this management. My daughter is growing well and eating well with no evidences of celiac disease. Her brothers tested negative for the gene. My advise is to have your baby tested for the gene at three months old prior to beginning solid foods. Good luck.

happygirl Collaborator

de caps-You are correct---that many people have the Celiac genes but do not develop/get/have Celiac. However, the risks ARE increased for family members of Celiacs. I believe the risk is 1 in 22 of first degree family members.

prinsessa Contributor
Hi, I am currently breastfeeding my third child. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease she was only three months old. I nursed both of her brothers with no problems for them or I. When my daughter was 8 months old I had her tested for the gene for celiac disease. An HLA test. It was positive for the gene for celiac disease. All the other lab test were normal. I was told by the pediatric GI doctor to continue breastfeeding and not to hold off on gluten containing foods. Anyone with a gene for celiac disease has only a 40% chance of developing the disease over their life time. She will be tested yearly by blood work to see if she has developed celiac disease. I am comfortable with this management. My daughter is growing well and eating well with no evidences of celiac disease. Her brothers tested negative for the gene. My advise is to have your baby tested for the gene at three months old prior to beginning solid foods. Good luck.

I'm surprised that your doctor told you that you shouldn't hold off on gluten containing foods. I know that people who have allergies (or they run in the family) are told to hold off on certain things (such as peanuts and wheat) until their children are older (usually around age 2). Is gluten intolerance different? Wouldn't holding off on introducing gluten to children for as long as possible decrease their risk of developing Celiac? Does anyone know anything about this? I'm not saying that your doctor is wrong....I'm just curious about it.

Merika Contributor

Angie,

You've got some really great advice on this post. And it's really great you'll have such good support for when your baby arrives :)

Since you have a month still, you may want to look up your local LLL meeting. They encourage pregnant moms to attend a meeting before giving birth. You'll get to see nursing in action, ask any questions, and still be well-rested enough for your brain to function, even if you have pregnancy-brain and have to write it all down or else forget, lol.

I nursed my ds exclusively (ie no people foods) til he was 11 months. He's growing right where he should be. Which reminds me, I know the Am Acad of Pediatrics is intending to update their charts in the next few years (or maybe just did??), but the infant growth charts most doctors have is for FORMULA FED babies, who actually grow in a different pattern than breast-fed babies. So if your doctor is not using a brand-spanking new chart endorsed by WHO, do not let them tell you your baby is too fat or too thin or too tall or whatever. (Doctors just LOVE charts....)

Best wishes,

Merika

TCA Contributor

I just want to stress the importance of breastfeeding. I breastfed my son for 20 mos and am still pumping for my 11 mo. old daughter. I'm sure a lot of you have seen my posts about her. She had open heart surgery at 9 days and the doc insisted we start supplementing what I pumped with formula. That's where her problems began. It's a very long story, but after months of battling docs, a nissen procedure and no weight gain, I ignored the docs, dropped all supplementation and went on a gluten-free diet myself and she started thriving. It was so amazing. My first also got soooo sick the one time we tried formula for medical reasons. We all try to feed our kids the best, buying organic, whole foods. But if you look at a can of formula, there are tons of ingredients I can't even pronounce. How good can that be for them?

I applaud your efforts and stick with it. I have met with much resisitance for breast feeding from inlaws and doctors, but I don't think my daughter would have survived (literally) without it. She won't nurse, so I pump and give it to her through her feeding tube and a little by bottle. The docs made her stop nursing so they could measure her intake, another mistake. I'm sure you won't have all these troubles, but enjoy the closeness of nursing. That's what I miss with my daughter. It's the sweetest time I remember with my son.

You were talking about falling asleep.... A lot of people would disagree with me, but with my son, I would just lay him in the bed beside me and let him nurse in the side lying position. I would fall back asleep and we both would be happy. I'm a very light sleeper though, so would wake up if he even moved. It worked great for us and allowed me to get some much needed sleep.

Good luck!

Hey, my oldest had open-heart surgery at 2 years old! I also had to battle docs about nursing--he was only 4 1/2 pounds at birth, and at 6 weeks old, they found the first of what turned out to be 2 VSDs (ventricular septal defect--basically, a hole in the heart). Luckily, our cardiologist was quite sensible. He did tell me that they advised bottles so we could monitor intake, blah, blah, blah, but I stuck to my guns and he agreed to let me continue nursing as long as I brought Michael in for weekly weigh-ins. After the second month, he said, "You know what you're doing," and I didn't have to do the weigh-ins any more! He also started to wonder out loud about my sanity when he saw me nurse Michael for the 2nd time in half an hour--and then he said, "No, wait a minute, he's gaining well, in fact he's thriving, so whatever you're doing--it's working. Keep it up!"

I agree with TCA. The only time I ever felt halfway rested was when we finally took the baby into our bed. I set up a bedrail on my side, and kept the baby between me and the bedrail so my husband couldn't roll on him. After that, it was, "Help yourself, goodnight, zzzzzzzz.

None of my babies ever cried as long as they could sleep with me. When they wewre hungry, they rooted around, and I would wake up and help them latch on. Very different from the crib-sleeping baby, who only gets fed after he is crying or even screaming from hunger and missing mommy!

Keep in mind, though, that sleeping with the baby doesn't work for everyone. Some moms simply can't stand it, and there are even a few babies who chill out better on their own. See what feels right to YOU. If you like the idea of sleeping with the baby, don't let anyone talk you out of it. You will not spoil the baby, and yes, the baby will eventually learn to sleep in his own space without having to cry for you! For me, sleeping with the baby eliminated about 95% of the stress of being a mom.

Oh--I know I've said this on another thread, so forgive me for repeating myself--but I do feel that there is a connection between leaky gut/celiac and VACCINES. I'm not saying not to get vaccines at all. Just keep in mind that you DO NOT have to get them on the recommended schedule, and you can turn a lot of them down (like the flu shot and the chicken pox shot) until they start making them without thimerosal. Please research the vaccine issue so you are prepared when they try to inject your baby with 26 different vaccines by the time he's 18 months old (and we all KNOW that there are no long-term studies showing what 26 vaccines in an 18-month-old can do to the immune system).

I highly recommend The Baby Book by William and Martha Sears.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox, now. :rolleyes:

(Just like celiac--trust your gut!)

Idahogirl Apprentice

Just curious, for those who talked about breastfeeding every 1 to 1.5 hours, for how long did you do this? I know I am going against the grain and most lactation specialists disagree with me, but I don't believe in on-demand feeding. Not that I think scheduling is right either, if you ignore the baby's hunger cues. I read a really good book called On Becoming Babywise, by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. I know many moms who have followed their approach, and their lives are so much more sane and their babies happier than when I had my son. I just fed him when it seemed like he was hungry, but he would fall asleep at the breast, then cry when I unlatched him. He became a "snacker" and I don't believe he was getting full feedings, just partial feedings way more often. The book really put into perspective the reason I was feeling so stressed and frustrated the first time around. I was literally a human pacifier, and I was miserable. So was my baby! He had no structure, stability or routine. Just "cry, get the boob, and calm down again".

I am definitely going to take the advice of the LLL people with a grain of salt and try the PDF (Parent Directed Feeding) method this time. It makes sense that if a baby gets a full feeding each time, he won't NEED to feed again for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. There is a difference between ignoring when your baby is hungry and helping him establish a routine. This is a really good book, and I recommend anyone who is going to breastfeed at least read it and then judge whether it is right for them.

Lisa

Hi, Lisa,

Feeding every 1 to 1 1/2 hours for the first couple of weeks might be neceassry to get your milk supply established. Your milk will come in MUCH more quickly if you nurse constantly the first couple of days, that's for sure. By the time it comes in, though, you should't have to nurse as often. But all of mine definitely slept through much longer stretches at night when they nursed more often during the day!

My second baby was my most "normal" in terms of feeding habits. He nursed about every 20 minutes the first few days, and gradually tapered to about every 1 1/2-2 hours by the end of the first week. As far as needing to feed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, remember, breastmilk usualy digests in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and a newborn's stomach is about the size of, what, a walnut? 2 1/2 to 3 hours is a formula schedule, not a breast milk schedule. The LLL might be annoying, but they are right--formula takes a lot longer to digest than breast millk. You can "schedule" the baby to go longer all you want, but if his stomach is the size of a walnut, any "full" feeding (by formula standards) will end up as spit-up on your shoulder! The more often you nurse (or pump), the more milk you make. As the baby grows bigger and can take more milk at once, he will want to nurse constantly for a day or two in order to get you to make more milk (they call this "marathon nursing"); as soon as you are making more milk, he will go much longer between feedings. If you try to keep him on a schedule during these times when he is having a growth spurt, you probably won't be able to increase your milk supply to what he needs. If you don't allow a hungry baby to nurse when he's hungry, you have a cranky baby and then you become a cranky mommy,especially if you have a cranky toddler who needs attention, too--it's SO much easier to pay attention to the older child if you can just latch the baby on and be done with it.

My first baby had major heart problems that we didn't find out about until he was 7 weeks old. He did not have the energy to nurse more than one side at a time. I couldn't figure out why he couldn't get on a more "normal" scheule, but once I stopped watching the clock, he gained better and we were both happier. I am so glad that I did not insist on scheduling him!

My third baby had reflux issues starting at about 4 weeks. By feeding her half as much (one side only) twice as often (for her that worked out to be about every hour and a half), we were able to avoid giving her baby Zantac, which was important to me because there were no long-term (or even short-term that I knew of) studies on the safety of Zantac for babies. She outgrew the reflux by the time she was a year, but the other babies I knew of on Zantac did not.

After spending 9 years either growing a baby inside my body or nursing one, I totally understand your not wanting to be a human pacifier! Only problem is, we aren't human pacifiers. I really don't believe babies were expressly made to need pacifiers. It's more like pacifiers are rubber mommies. There is usually a physiological reason a baby wants to nurse. If it's simply sucking they need, they usually discover their fist or their thumb. If you are planning on putting your baby in daycare and he doesn't suck his thumb, a pacifier is probably a good idea.

Every baby--and mom--is different. Some moms find sanity in scheduling, and it works well for them. Maybe your baby did much better on snacking than he might have on a schedule, I don't know. But scheduling isn't the answer for everyone, either. Not only did it not work for me, (by the third baby,there was no way I could keep track of the clock) but it would have been disastrous to the health of 2 of my babies had I kept trying to make it work. For every person who thinks it's saner to schedule a baby's feedings around your convenience, you will find someone else who will wonder why you want a baby if you're reluctant to meet his needs. And, for every baby who "knows" exactly how often he needs to nurse, you'll find another one who doesn't know, and really does need some scheduling!

The problem is when the LLL and the PDF people each insist that their way is right for everybody. Trust your instinct, and see what works for you and your baby. (I like The Baby Book by William and Martha Sears much better than the LLL publications. If you have the PDF book, you might want to read this, too,for balance.)As far as I could gather from the LLL lady in my area, that's pretty much what the LLL recommends, but I have heard from some people that other LLL leaders are a lot more rigid in what they believe! I guess it's a bit like religion.

I hope you find something that works for you, one way or the other!

KayJay Enthusiast
Just curious, for those who talked about breastfeeding every 1 to 1.5 hours, for how long did you do this? I know I am going against the grain and most lactation specialists disagree with me, but I don't believe in on-demand feeding. Not that I think scheduling is right either, if you ignore the baby's hunger cues. I read a really good book called On Becoming Babywise, by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. I know many moms who have followed their approach, and their lives are so much more sane and their babies happier than when I had my son. I just fed him when it seemed like he was hungry, but he would fall asleep at the breast, then cry when I unlatched him. He became a "snacker" and I don't believe he was getting full feedings, just partial feedings way more often. The book really put into perspective the reason I was feeling so stressed and frustrated the first time around. I was literally a human pacifier, and I was miserable. So was my baby! He had no structure, stability or routine. Just "cry, get the boob, and calm down again".

I am definitely going to take the advice of the LLL people with a grain of salt and try the PDF (Parent Directed Feeding) method this time. It makes sense that if a baby gets a full feeding each time, he won't NEED to feed again for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. There is a difference between ignoring when your baby is hungry and helping him establish a routine. This is a really good book, and I recommend anyone who is going to breastfeed at least read it and then judge whether it is right for them.

Lisa

Please be very careful reading this book. I read the book and went to a class for it and I think that it should be banned. Now each is to his own but please please please read this website too. Open Original Shared Link This method can cause problems such as dehydration and losing your milk supply. A lot of babies do not thrive on it please be careful following this. You should really always feed on demand while bfing.

Great website, KayJay--thanks for providing it! The crying thing in particular just amazes me. You would never lock a crying baby in the car, stand outside, and say, "No, I'm not going to pick you up, you're just fine." Why do parents do the same thing to a baby, substituting a crib?

I've noticed that consistently picking up a crying child has taught my children the importance of comforting someone who is distressed. When my youngest was an infant, I would try to catch a shower when she napped. One or the other of her big brothers would invariably come barging into the bathroom, yelling, "Mommy, the baby woke up, she's crying, she NEEDS you, pick her up, pick her UP!" They knew enough to understand that a crying infant shouldn't be left alone to cry!

TCA Contributor
Great website, KayJay--thanks for providing it! The crying thing in particular just amazes me. You would never lock a crying baby in the car, stand outside, and say, "No, I'm not going to pick you up, you're just fine." Why do parents do the same thing to a baby, substituting a crib?

I've noticed that consistently picking up a crying child has taught my children the importance of comforting someone who is distressed. When my youngest was an infant, I would try to catch a shower when she napped. One or the other of her big brothers would invariably come barging into the bathroom, yelling, "Mommy, the baby woke up, she's crying, she NEEDS you, pick her up, pick her UP!" They knew enough to understand that a crying infant shouldn't be left alone to cry!

I'm with you! My son is so compassionate towards his little sister and he's just 3. I'm not saying that they need to be picked up during a mad fit, but infants cry because they have a need for something. It's our job to try our best to provide for that need. I just love to hear my son say "Mommy, Meg's crying. Check on her, Mommy. " My kids are very self assured and confident that we, as parents, are there for them. I guess everyone has to find their own way on this one, but my gut tells me to not let them cry it out. I'm fine with being needed. It's the sum of my existence as a mother.

Idahogirl Apprentice

Wow. I just read through a chunk of that website. Someone spent a lot of time compiling all that information. I don't think that scheduling a baby's feedings is right, either. The book never says to ignore your baby's hunger cues, or to look at her and say "sorry, you still have 20 minutes to go". It also does not tell you not to comfort your baby when she cries. It specifically says to investigate for the reason for the crying (an itchy tag, too much noise, etc.) and act appropriately. There are many things that no book can teach you, it's all about discretion and knowing your baby. Babies are human, which makes them complex, and there are many reason they do the things they do. I don't think it's right to always react the same way every time a baby cries, because it doesn't always mean the same thing.

I obviously have some major differences in philosophy with many people on this board, and I'm fine with that. I am from Idaho, after all :D I believe it is possible to love and nurture your children and also guide them. Think of it this way-if you switched from a graveyard job to a daytime shift, and you just ate when you were hungry and slept when you were tired, you would be sleeping on the job and waking up in the middle of your "new night" to eat. But since you are an adult, you know better than to just let your body take over. You transition yourself into your new schedule, and pretty soon you are tired during the day when you need to sleep and hungry when your new lunch period comes around. Babies are not able to regulate themselves and need their parents help. Not purposely ignoring a baby's need to eat, but getting them on a routine that is good for them and the family. (this isn't a perfect analogy, but you get my point)

I know many women who have used the PDF method (not scheduling!) and their babies are very content, happy, and fat. Everyone is a little different, so you can't just say "only feed your baby every three hours, period!" The book mentions feeding every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but that is beginning to beginning, so if you nurse for 1/2 hour, it is only 2 to 2 1/2 hours after the baby's done eating that she will need to eat again. Growth spurts obviously require more feedings, and sometimes you have to break the routine because of other circumstances.

If your baby is truly hungry before the normal feeding time (2 1/2 to 3 hours for most babies), then you need to investigate. Is it a growth spurt? Are you not eating enough? Are you fatigued, etc? You should obviously still feed your baby if she's hungry, but figure out if there are other factors at play. I wonder how many critics of Babywise have actually read through the book? It's not as bad as some would portray. If you're ignoring your baby and hyper-scheduling, then you missed the point of the book.

As far as the sleeping thing goes, I'll have to feel that one out for myself. My husband's son was constantly picked up everytime he made a peep during the night, and it took him a long time to be able to fall asleep on his own and stay asleep. He didn't sleep through the night until he was a toddler. With my son, when he was 8 months (it's been 10 years, so I'm not exact on that one), I let him cry himself to sleep one night. It was awful, but the next night he didn't cry for as long. Within a few nights, he was falling asleep on his own without crying at all. I have a friend with a one year old, and she has come to know the differences in her daughter's cries. If she wakes up crying, she usually falls back asleep within a few minutes. If she picks her up instead of letting her go back to sleep, she will be cranky and not very well rested. However, if she wakes up cooing and happy, she picks her up because she knows she got a full nap and is ready to get up. Obviously, if she doesn't go back to sleep after crying for a little while, there is something wrong.

Side note: Our society is so obsessed with immediate gratification and always trying to stay "happy", it is no wonder that our kids have no self control and only care about themselves, and Americans are falling deeper and deeper into debt. There is more to life than just "feeling good".

Lisa

KayJay Enthusiast

^^I understand what you are saying believe me I read the book and went to a class on it and I thought it was great until that is I had my baby in my arms. Just remember that we are all Celiacs here and that means that we have tummy troubles. Which are genetic... Maddie has had bad reflux since she was only a couple of weeks old. Her first 5 months were horrible she can't tolerate any food even to this day. She is slowly getting better but she used to scream all the time. So for us it is important to comfort her. Just think of how you feel when you get glutened. Don't you wish you could just be cuddled and held all day? Babies are only babies once. It is okay to baby them. :D They say you can't spoil them the first 6 months. Let them tell you when they are hungry and tired. My dd put her self on a schedule and it works great. She takes great naps and sleeps through the night. I have never once let her CIO. We just worked with her and taught her how to fall asleep on her own. It is possible to do that without crying. Of course I realize all babies are different but just something to think about.

But to get back on topic the reason I would stay away from scheduled feeding is your milk supply can drop by doing that. I kind of did that the first 3 months and my supply started to drop and so I supplemented with formula only to find out my baby can't tolerate it so she became very sick and it was horrible. I felt like she was starving and it took 3 months to get my supply back. Remember it is supply and demand.

Archived