This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thyroid And Zinc Results..

DonnaD

DonnaD Apprentice

Hi everyone

I have got some of my tests results back: The printout said they were normal but the zinc would appear not to be within the reference range and I'm not sure why there are two different numbers for it. Also is it possible to have these thyroid results but still have an underactive thyroid? the TSH is interesting as I have avoided all soy since the 2.96 TSH level as soy can affect thyroid function. I have an appointment to see the Doctor again at the end of the month. I'm still waiting for the results of the saliva testing and leaky gut.

Free T4 11.5 pmol/l ref (*--) (9.14 - 23.4)

Free T3 3.5 pmol/L (-*-) (2.23 - 5.34)

TSH 1.42 uIU/ml (*--)(.49 - 4.67)

Thyroid antibody profile - negative

Zinc 66 ug/dl 75-130

10.1 11.5 -20.0

I have looked on labtests on line and a couple of other sites but that didn't help much! Thanks for your time,

Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Your Free T4 is just barely in range, its definitely clinging to the lower boundaries. If you've got progressively thinking doctor you might press for a trial of thyroid meds. But those sorts of doctors are pretty rare. You'll most likely get turned down.

A lot of my thyroid symptoms (brain fog, weight gain, cold) I think were actually due to my food intolerances and I've been doing a lot better since I've gotten off wheat and dairy.

I think the particular gene you have predisposes you to more neurological symptoms of food intolerance, I have that one too. Are you staying gluten-free and CF now?

DonnaD Apprentice
Your Free T4 is just barely in range, its definitely clinging to the lower boundaries. If you've got progressively thinking doctor you might press for a trial of thyroid meds. But those sorts of doctors are pretty rare. You'll most likely get turned down.

A lot of my thyroid symptoms (brain fog, weight gain, cold) I think were actually due to my food intolerances and I've been doing a lot better since I've gotten off wheat and dairy.

I think the particular gene you have predisposes you to more neurological symptoms of food intolerance, I have that one too. Are you staying gluten-free and CF now?

Hi Nancy

Yes I am gluten-free and cf, I'v had a few slip ups as I'v been away and eating out a lot but nothing too terrible. The doctor I am seeing Dr , previously a GP, has been in complementary practice for 15 years and amongst other things, treats thyroid conditions with Armour. He tests for FT4, FT3 and TSH, He often treats with T3. He will test for adrenal insufficiency, but rarely treats this. He was reccomended by a UK thyroid action group and certainly seemed unlike the other 40+ doctors I have seen in the last 40 years! I am interested in a thyroid med trial and will push for this and change doctors again if he won't help. fibro has been proven to respond to thyroid meds even when blood results are within normal limits. He also thinks that gluten intolerance leads to candida and leaky gut which would explain why I felt really marvelous on the very strict phase of Atkins a few years back. and why I have developed other food intolerances I certainly have a lot less chronic pain off the soy. Thanks for the feedback. We must be genetic sisters! :P

Donna

floridanative Community Regular

After you help Donna with her test results, please tell me if mine are anything to be concerned about. My pcp ran a bunch of tests that I asked for after finishing Dr. Green's book. My doctor admits to knowing little of nothing about Celiac and I can't get into my new GI until late April.

My TSH level is 1.676 - range being 0.350 - 5.550 so I guess it's low but normal - is that good or bad or either?

Potassium, Serum - 3.7 - range being 3.5 - 5.5 - again low normal

Glucose, Serum - 97 - range being 65 - 99 - so that's high - anyone know how to lower number?

If anyone knows what any of this means, I'd appreaciate your feedback. Otherwise I'll take all this in to the new GI and hope she's better than the other docs I've tried.

Ruth52 Newbie

Your TSH is at a very happy level. The range you quoted (0.350 - 5.550) is broad, but is the normal lab range. Some recent articles I have read suggest that a healthier range to use would be 0.350 - 2.50, and if that was the case your TSH would be sitting right in the middle. My TSH usually ranges between 0.9 and 1.6 and I am very pleased with that. I don't know anything about either Potassium or Glucose Serum.

I hope that helps with one of your questions.

floridanative Community Regular

Awesome Ruth53 and thanks! I have never worried about my thyroid until last year when they checked it when I was actually anemic and the pcp missed that....but she said then over a year ago my thyroid was great. Now that I know I had a very dangerous B12 def. pre Celiac dx and therefore started having lots of neuro symptoms, I learned docs don't always tell you when your test results indicate a problem. Now I get every test result sent to me...even if I have to bug the doc's staff to death to get it!

beelzebubble Contributor
Hi everyone

I have got some of my tests results back: The printout said they were normal but the zinc would appear not to be within the reference range and I'm not sure why there are two different numbers for it. Also is it possible to have these thyroid results but still have an underactive thyroid? the TSH is interesting as I have avoided all soy since the 2.96 TSH level as soy can affect thyroid function. I have an appointment to see the Doctor again at the end of the month. I'm still waiting for the results of the saliva testing and leaky gut.

Free T4 11.5 pmol/l ref (*--) (9.14 - 23.4)

Free T3 3.5 pmol/L (-*-) (2.23 - 5.34)

TSH 1.42 uIU/ml (*--)(.49 - 4.67)

Thyroid antibody profile - negative

Zinc 66 ug/dl 75-130

10.1 11.5 -20.0

I have looked on labtests on line and a couple of other sites but that didn't help much! Thanks for your time,

Donna

i'm no expert, but it looks to me that while you are on the slightly lower than normal range for t4 and t3, your thyroid stimulating hormone levels are right where they are supposed to be. if you have a thryoid problem it usually shows up there or with your thyroid antibodies before showing up in your actual hormone levels. it looks to me like you are fine. these are my results for my funky thyroid situation, which you can read about in my journal, if you like.

my thyroid results were within normal range, BUT my thyroglobulin ab was 121 (normal below 41). and my thyroid peroxidase was 458 (normal is less than 35).

are you dealing with low thyroid symptoms? or is this just a routine test? i'm sorry, maybe you posted that elsewhere and i just haven't seen it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived