Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:18 AM

Thank you for this article. It's time people realize the seriousness of this disease. I have had people say to me, "So all you have to do is give up bread?" This is a very serious disease, just the same as diabetes and so many others. Thank you, Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:28 AM

I agree--because the disease is food-related, most people assume that just avoiding wheat will take care of it. The malabsorbsion issue is not recigonized enough (in my opinion) for the physical and nerological damage that it causes. The gluten-free diet, in my case, has caused great improvement, but I have heard from Deb and others that my neuropathy may only stay the same and not get much better. That seems to be the case with me. My disease went many years before being dx. and treated. People need to know that this is serious, and if left untreated can have dire consequences.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: