This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Dining In Nyc

erica

erica Rookie

Hello everyone. I know people often travel to NYC for vacations and I have found 2 restaurants with gluten-free menus/options.

Risotteria

270 Bleecker St,

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alexa11219 Newbie

Here are three more restaurants in New York City which recognize our problem:

GUS'S PLACE

149 Waverly Place (6th Ave.)

New York, NY 10014

Ph.: 212-645-8511

888-850-1244

www.gusplacenyc.citysearch.com

AMERICAN PARK AT THE BATTERY

Inside Battery Park, across from 17 State Street

New York, NY 10004

Ph.: 212-809-5508

BLOOM'S DELICATESSEN CAFE

350 Lexington Avenue

New York, NY 10016

Ph.: 212-922-3663

There is COFFEE SHOP in Union Square, W. & 16th St. They have Brazilian Cheese Bread, which is made with tapioca flour.

Lily Rookie

I've noticed New York seems to be very gluten friendly, wish I lived there! Anyhow, there was a post on here somewhere else that said to visit www.glutenfreerestaurants.org. I went there and the majority of the restaurants were in New York. :)

Lily

Carole Newbie

Sounds good in NYC. How about when traveling to Europe. We are going to see our daughter in France and then traveling to Ireland. Any hints on how to travel with Celiac's. What a nuisance.

Carole :D

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Thanks to everyone for posting on this thread! I took a day trip to New York yesterday for my friend's new baby's naming ceremony, and *I* got to pick the restaurant that we would eat at afterward, so I chose Gus's Place. The food was good, and it was so nice not to have to worry about cross-contamination! (We even managed to park right outside the restaurant! Can you believe that? It was just our lucky day!)

• 2 weeks later...
smack Rookie

Check out the Celiac Chicks Website, they list places in NYC as well as other places in the US that are gluten-free.

There is a bakery in Brooklyn that has a lot of gluten-free stuff to eat as well...

Open Original Shared Link

92939 Newbie

I have been celiac since feb 2003 and I live in NC and would like to know some eating places besides Wendy's and McDonalds. Would appreciate your help

Thanks

Jean :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

Yep...I live in NY also. I've heard of numerous restaurants that zippy10 mentioned, but I rarely ate out before being diagnosed, and therefore, don't eat out now, either. For travelling to NYC or anywhere else, there is a website: Open Original Shared Link. I hope this proves helpful for you wherever you go. It won't work for small towns, obviously, but for big cities, this site will provide a few options. Hope this helps.

Hi, back again with a quick "edit" to my post. At Silly-Yak.com, there is a long list of NYC restaurants that accommodate to Celiacs:

GLUTEN FREE IN NYC!

The restaurants listed below have been known to have items that are appropriate for a gluten-free diet with intelligent and helpful staffs, but please note that menus, chefs and staff are subject to change - and questions must still be asked.

Enjoy!

RESTAURANTS AND BAKERIES:

These recommended restaurants are part of the Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program

***Risotteria 270 Bleecker St. (near John's Pizzeria) 212-924-6664

***Gus' Place149 Waverly Place (6th Ave.) 212-645-8511

***BEST ON LONG ISLAND! Caffee Baldo (Italian and Gluten Free) 2849 Jerusalem Ave, Wantaugh 516-22-22ZZ

***American Park at the Battery (across from 17 State Street) Phone: 212-809-5508

www.americanpark.com

Joseph's Gluten Free Bakery, 1712 Ave M Brooklyn, (718) 336-9494=20

www.joesephsorganic.com

Gabriel's Dessert Boutique, 941 Manor Road, Staten Island, NY (718) 477-1414. Wide variety of gluten-free pastries, bread & pizza dough.

Sacred Chow - Hip and Vegan, 522 Hudson Street (212) 337-0863. Fabulous gluten-free brownies, cookies, and energy bars.

www.sacredchow.com

ANGELICAS - Best organic restaraunt in the city! (house dressing is gluten-free) 300 E. 12th St. (bet 2nd & 3rd Ave) 212-228-2909

BROOKLYN DINER (pricey but very good) on 57th St just west of 7th Ave.

COFFEE SHOP on Union Sq. W. & 16th St. They have Brazilian Cheese Bread, which is made with tapioca flour.

BRIGHT FOOD SHOP (Mexican dinner, fun atmosphere) 216 8th Ave @ 21 St

IPANEMA PLATFORMA (Brazilian BBQ) (57th St/btwn 8 and 9th Ave) all you can eat flat rate. Pricey but worth it!!!

AVRA - whole fish - 141 E 48 St

BELMONDO 98 Ave B (steaks) French bistro 358-1166

LUCIEN - filet mignon - (1st and 1st )

OTHER FOODS - 12th (betw B'way & Univ)

ROSE OF BOMBAY (Indian) 326 E 6th St. gluten-free menu

DRUIDs - 307-6419 ? filet mignon - 736 10th Ave (50 & 51)

STARDUST DINER - 52 & 7th - burger or Philly steak sandwich w/out bread

SPRING STREET NATURAL Spring and Lafayette

PEASANT - (Nolita) grilled fish, etc. Everything roasted on open flame. 194 Eizabeth St (Prince & Spring) 212-965-9511

OYSTER BAR - 42nd St and Vanderbuilt (GRAND CTRAL TERMINAL) 212-490-6650

LE TABLEAU - 5th betw A & B - steak au pauvre

EL QUIXOTE - 23rd & 7th - steak / lobster

NEW DELHI INDIAN - tell waiter gluten-free - 120 Lex near 28th - 212-725-3215

EAST VILLAGE THAI REST (gluten-free thai curry ? request "Marys fish sauce") 32 E 7th St (betw 2 & 3rd)

LUNNEYS REST - 46th off Bway ? has celiac waitresses

BROOKLYN DINER - W 57th St (W of Bway) hamburger and steam veg

VESUVIO (Bleeker bet 6th & 7th)

KATZS DELI (brisket and turkey have no added sugars or vinegar) Houston betw 1st and 2nd Ave

Suen - 13th (Univ. & 5th) - (good organic) broiled fish and veg. Great kale /squash. Ask for no sauces. Also sushi.

M&R Elizabeth betw Houston & Prince -roast chicken: $15. Side order of veggies -huge

MARE- seafood ($18-20) / live lobster/oysters - 8th & 20th. (lots of restaurants nearby)

THE DISH - Diner - nice, dark atmosphere, cheap burgers (8th and 20th St)

Centro Vasco - Spanish - lobster fresh daily - 159 W 23 (6th & 7th)

FOOD MARKETS:

WHOLE FOODS on 7th Ave and 24th St. Excellent produce. Lots of gluten-free products. Foods by George Gluten free products in the bread section.

WESTERLY HEALTH FOODS 911- 913 Eighth Ave. @ 54th St.

Commodities Organic market - 1st Ave betw 10th and 11th St.

Prana - small organic market - good produce - 125 1st Ave (6th & 7th)

Healthy Pleasures - organic supermarket w/ meat/fish, vitamins - 10th & University.

Hope this is helpful...

flagbabyds Collaborator

JOSEPHS GLUTEN FREE BAKERY IN BROOKLYN HAS THE BEST gluten-free baked products! oh my god they are so delicious!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dha Newbie

I was diagnosed 6 years ago and am always looking for restaurants, fast food and others in my area that have gluten-free menu. I've read about Outback, however there isn't one closer than 45 minutes away and it's usally a hour plus wait to get in. :(

Does anyone know of any places in Westchester County, New York :blink: I live in Yorktown, so the Northern part of the county is best. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Diana

• 1 month later...
Guest Addicted2Gluten

There is a restaurant in Manhattan called "Jean-Georges." It is at the Trump Hotel at One Central Park West. It is a very expensive restaurant but they are very accomodating to people with Celiac Disease. When I went to eat their, I told the waiter that I was allergic to dairy and gluten and he asked if I had Celiac Disease and I said yes and then he called over the maitre'de who took my order and the chef prepared all of these delicious entrees with sauces and everything was gluten free. However, for dessert the only gluten free items are fruit and sorbet.

celiac3270 Collaborator
JOSEPHS GLUTEN FREE BAKERY IN BROOKLYN HAS THE BEST gluten-free baked products! oh my god they are so delicious!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard so much about that bakery -- and though I'm only a subway ride away, I've never been there!....never really bothered to go :o I know I should, but I haven't.

There is a restaurant in Manhattan called "Jean-Georges." It is at the Trump Hotel at One Central Park West. It is a very expensive restaurant but they are very accomodating to people with Celiac Disease. When I went to eat their, I told the waiter that I was allergic to dairy and gluten and he asked if I had Celiac Disease and I said yes and then he called over the maitre'de who took my order and the chef prepared all of these delicious entrees with sauces and everything was gluten free. However, for dessert the only gluten free items are fruit and sorbet.

That's terrific that you had a great experience there! :D

EddieJP125 Explorer

hey guys this was a great site post...i livein Longisland and my girlfriend out in Bronx...we used to always go out and eat in the city now we can again...i heard American Battery Park is a nice romantic outdoor place to dine at nite too...

Guest Sibewill

To DHA

(Westchester info):

There are 5 places listed on Open Original Shared Link for the county. So far I've been to Gedney and Ciao and they have wonderful food. Also, I've been fortunate with helpfull waiters at Mighty Joe Youngs in Hartsdale. These three are all mid-southern Westchester near White Plains. There are others that I have not tried including some in Dutchess and Orange counties which may be closer to you.

• 6 years later...
laylamc Newbie

I see that this was posted several years ago.

Sad to update that Brooklyn Diner, which I visted yesterday, is no longer worthy of being listed here. Staff was unwilling to clean the grill to make me a burger, repeatedly brought me foods I could not eat after I asked numerous questions and was very up front that I couldn't have anything that contained wheat or flour on my plate.

Then when I asked for recommendations of what would be safe given their preparation, I was told "Nothing really. Maybe a dry salad?"

It is just plain gross that they would be cooking wheat products touching raw meat. That can't be good for anyone.

Good restaurants to add to this list:

Blue Smoke (BBQ)

Nizza (Italian/French) - has a separate gluten-free menu with gluten-free pastas/bread/desserts

Sambuca (Italian) - has a separate gluten-free menu with gluten-free pastas/bread/desserts

Pappardella (Italian) - separate gluten-free menu with gluten-free pastas/pizzas

Rosa Mexicano (Mexican) - separate gluten-free menu (75% of their regular menu is naturally gluten-free)

Archived