6 replies to this topic

#1 whitelacegal

whitelacegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:49 AM

After 1 month of being with a gastro doctor who wont help me out i decided to go to someone else, this new gastro order blood test for Celiac, but i was diagnosed 1 month ago by biopsy and am on the gluten free diet, will the blood tests show if i have been not eating any wheat products? I have bad diarrhea even after being gluetin free for 1 month and losing alot of weight, how can i keep my weight steadyor not lose anymore, im eating alot but nothing stays in my body.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:36 PM

Why would your new Gastro doc run Celiac blood test if you have already been dx through a biopsy?

To answer your question, yes being gluten-free for a month will affect your blood test, they will not be accurate.

I hope you feel better soon!

#3 whitelacegal

whitelacegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:21 AM

The old gastro i went to never did run blood test for celiac all they did was the biopsy of the small intestine and colon, i know that dont make sense! I dont know why this new gastro would run this test when i have been on the gluentin free diet for 1 month! makes me mad!

#4 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:52 AM

If it were me I would have the doc check out the other symptoms you are having and inform him that you are on a gluten-free diet and if you are WILLING or NOT WILLING to go back on gluten to satisfy his needs to test you again.

I would also go to your old Gastro and get a copy of your biopsy results and any other tests he ran and take with you to the new Gastro doc, so that he can see what he been done.

I wish you luck and do hope you feel better soon! Take care :D

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:04 AM

I would consider the possibility of bacterial overgrowth, which can give you cleiac-type symptoms. Recent research showed that a large percentage of people who go gluten-free and still have symptoms also have bacterial overgrowth. You can ask your doctor about it but I would just start taking a probiotic like Culturelle. It won't hurt you and it might solve the problem.

PS -- If you try this and it does the trick it does NOT mean you don't have celiac disease. I would say that with positive biopsy you have celiac disease.

richard

#6 whitelacegal

whitelacegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

I will ask my new gastro about bacterial overgrowth when i go back there in 2 weeks, i allready gave him copies of my biopsy of my small intestine and colon. If i would have bacterial overgrowth of my intestine how would they be able to find this out does anyone know?

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:36 AM

Here's froma medical web site. I just did a google search for "bacterial overgrowth +diagnosing" and got lots.

"Identifying the cause of small bowel bacterial overgrowth, and even diagnosing it as the cause of the patientís symptoms, is often challenging. Aspirating fluid from the bowel during an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy was once considered the gold standard for diagnosis; however, this method is often not helpful because it may be impossible to aspirate from the area where the overgrowth is occurring and because methods of culturing the fluid are often affected by errors in obtaining and processing the fluid. Glucose breath hydrogen testing is sometimes beneficial in identifying overgrowth. Glucose is used as a substrate for this breath test because it is rapidly metabolized by bacteria in the small bowel (before it can be absorbed) and results in excess hydrogen which is easily detected in the patientís breath [4]. Other diagnostic tests include quantitative and qualitative evaluation of urine for indicans and detection of an elevated level of serum d-lactic acid, both of which indicate bacterial metabolism [5-6]. At times, d-lactic acidosis can be so severe as to cause seizures and metabolic acidosis with coma. Elevated serum folate levels may also be present with bacterial overgrowth. The presence of a dilated bowel segment on upper GI x-ray may identify the location of overgrowth in advanced cases."

In others words (where have we heard this before?), it can be hard to diagnose and is often overlooked.

Dr. Cynthia Rudert, an Atlanta physician who is one of the top celiac doctors in the country, doesn't even bother to try to diagnose it. She gives all of her celiac patients probiotics. In fact, she says virtually every patient who comes to her already diagnosed has having permanent or refractory sprue is either still eating gluten somehow or has overgrowth.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: