Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Went To New Gastro

7 posts in this topic

After 1 month of being with a gastro doctor who wont help me out i decided to go to someone else, this new gastro order blood test for Celiac, but i was diagnosed 1 month ago by biopsy and am on the gluten free diet, will the blood tests show if i have been not eating any wheat products? I have bad diarrhea even after being gluetin free for 1 month and losing alot of weight, how can i keep my weight steadyor not lose anymore, im eating alot but nothing stays in my body.

Ads by Google:

Why would your new Gastro doc run Celiac blood test if you have already been dx through a biopsy?

To answer your question, yes being gluten-free for a month will affect your blood test, they will not be accurate.

I hope you feel better soon!

The old gastro i went to never did run blood test for celiac all they did was the biopsy of the small intestine and colon, i know that dont make sense! I dont know why this new gastro would run this test when i have been on the gluentin free diet for 1 month! makes me mad!

If it were me I would have the doc check out the other symptoms you are having and inform him that you are on a gluten-free diet and if you are WILLING or NOT WILLING to go back on gluten to satisfy his needs to test you again.

I would also go to your old Gastro and get a copy of your biopsy results and any other tests he ran and take with you to the new Gastro doc, so that he can see what he been done.

I wish you luck and do hope you feel better soon! Take care :D

I would consider the possibility of bacterial overgrowth, which can give you cleiac-type symptoms. Recent research showed that a large percentage of people who go gluten-free and still have symptoms also have bacterial overgrowth. You can ask your doctor about it but I would just start taking a probiotic like Culturelle. It won't hurt you and it might solve the problem.

PS -- If you try this and it does the trick it does NOT mean you don't have celiac disease. I would say that with positive biopsy you have celiac disease.

richard

I will ask my new gastro about bacterial overgrowth when i go back there in 2 weeks, i allready gave him copies of my biopsy of my small intestine and colon. If i would have bacterial overgrowth of my intestine how would they be able to find this out does anyone know?

Here's froma medical web site. I just did a google search for "bacterial overgrowth +diagnosing" and got lots.

"Identifying the cause of small bowel bacterial overgrowth, and even diagnosing it as the cause of the patient