This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What To Put Back In gluten-free Diet To Stay Healthy?

Susan123

Susan123 Rookie

I wanted to request some help.... I am pretty knowledgeable on what to exclude from my diet so that I don't encounter any gluten. My question is what food/vitamins do I need to incorporate to make up for the missing grains. I have gotten to the point where I just avoid bread gluten free or not because the gluten-free bread taste horrible. I am just afraid I am robbing my body of nutrients it needs. I know with vegetarians it is very important to make sure you replace certain nutrients when you don't eat meat. Keep in mind that I also need to stay away from nuts as I tend to get kidney stones.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MegGFBoston Rookie

I am fairly new to all of this - but my doctor did put me on Rx strength folic acid in addition to other vitamins and iron etc. Folic acid is not easily stored in the body - and the main source is whole grains!

Nancym Enthusiast

I think grains are highly overrated on their nutriuosness. Generally they lose it all during processing and have it sprayed back on in the form of artificial vitamins. You can more than make up for the loss by eating an assortment of vegetables, meats and fruits.

watkinson Apprentice

If you do a study on the nutrients is grains you will see that grains have nothing in them that you can't get from eating fruits, veggies, and protien. Most modern day grains are so over processed that they have becaome nothing more than a sugar anyway. Most are fortified with vitamins because they have very little nutrient value. Take a good multi vitamin, take Omega -3 fatty acids, a good B-complex and try to eat as much organic fruits and veggies as possible, and eat an organic yogut every day for the pro-biotic. If you drink juice, try cranberry or pomagranite (full of antioxidents). You will feel great in no time. Can you eat. soy? You can try chocolate covered soy nuts, or edamame (sp) (steamed soy beans with salt). They are yummy :P addicitive, I eat them like popcorn! you pop them out of the shell, kids live them becuase they are fun to eat. Great for you, lots of nutrients. You can sometimes find them in the frozen section but they are best fresh. Ususally where sushi is sold.

Wendy

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I wanted to request some help.... I am pretty knowledgeable on what to exclude from my diet so that I don't encounter any gluten. My question is what food/vitamins do I need to incorporate to make up for the missing grains. I have gotten to the point where I just avoid bread gluten free or not because the gluten-free bread taste horrible. I am just afraid I am robbing my body of nutrients it needs. I know with vegetarians it is very important to make sure you replace certain nutrients when you don't eat meat. Keep in mind that I also need to stay away from nuts as I tend to get kidney stones.

We are not birds :D , you really can get all the nutrients we need from fruits, veggies, meats, fish, poultry, eggs, etc. Don't worry about not replacing grains, you'll be fine without them. You may want to check out the threads on the SCD diet also.

CMCM Rising Star

Personally, I think we've been sold a bill of goods from the very huge and powerful grain industry. Grain products are HUMONGOUS....think of all the products...bread, cookies, crackers, an impossibly huge cereal aisle with the ridiculously overpriced cereals. The grains are processed down to the food value of cardboard, and then they add some wimpy stuff back in to make it sound nutritious. But nutritious it definitely is NOT. And then think of all the advertising spent to convince you to gorge yourself on grains to get FIBER...which you could better get from fruits and vegetables. I would say the grain industry most certainly does NOT want the word to get out that wheat is bad for the human body! And when you think about it...people are eating gluten products multiple times per day...no wonder they are addicted (because wheat...gluten...is very addicting in its own way).

LivingtheGoodLife Newbie

If you're showing signs of malnourishment, I'd recommend supplements. I take them only for specific purposes.

B complex - to aid sleep & regulate mood

Quercetin - to alleviate food sensitivities

Cal/Mag - to maintain tooth enamel/calm mood

Enzymes - as a digestion aid (stops girgling in stomach)

Probiotics - to alleviate C and bloating

EFA's - to help joints & GI tract

Manganese - to help joints

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Nuts do not cause kidney stones. My brother who is allergic to nuts never eats them got kidney stones and he was told it was because he does not drink enough water. He never drinks water. I who have had kidney problems but no stones eat nuts all the time but I also drink 2-3 liters of water a day.

Tofu is a great source of protein along with seeds and nuts are good for that and zinc which is necessary. Because of B-12 problems in the past I use a sublingual B-12 which I get from the health food store. I eat copious amounts of vegetables and fruit and while everyone at work is sick, I have not been.

Susan123 Rookie
Nuts do not cause kidney stones. My brother who is allergic to nuts never eats them got kidney stones and he was told it was because he does not drink enough water. He never drinks water. I who have had kidney problems but no stones eat nuts all the time but I also drink 2-3 liters of water a day.

Tofu is a great source of protein along with seeds and nuts are good for that and zinc which is necessary. Because of B-12 problems in the past I use a sublingual B-12 which I get from the health food store. I eat copious amounts of vegetables and fruit and while everyone at work is sick, I have not been.

Nuts do cause kidney stones of the calcuim nature which is 80% of them. THey are high in oxylate which contributes to kidneys stones. Other products like tea, chocolate, etc also cause kidney stones. So Nuts isn't the only thing that causes kidney stones but in the top four offenders of products containing high oxylate levels. Not driking enough water can encourage kidney stones as kidneys are not adequately filtered allowing the calcium deposits to build in stone size. I have had two kidneys in the last two years both calcium ones. I also take a diruretic that helps with stones and TheroLithXR which is added supplementation of magnesium and potassium which help keep stones from forming and all over urine chemistry.

eeyor-fan Contributor

I was pretty sick for a while after diagnoses and going gluten-free but now I'm getting and stronger everyday. I started taking Olay Energy Pack Vitamins (Olay vitamins are gluten-free and even are labeled gluten-free). I also eat lots of fruits and veggies, try to get protein from fish or chicken a couple times a week. Plus a few days ago Patti (NJ Angel) by way a Tif ( Floradamink) got me on a probiotic (must have really in my opinion for celiacs) called CULTURELLE and you can get it at CVS. And to think, I thought Patti and Tiff were learning from me and here they taught me something :). Those are my advice and believe me, anyone who knows me can tell you...I took the hard road to learning what my body needs to make up for not having the things like wheat.

Hugs

Bridge

PS Jen you changed your photo, you look different :).

jerseyangel Proficient
I was pretty sick for a while after diagnoses and going gluten-free but now I'm getting and stronger everyday. I started taking Olay Energy Pack Vitamins (Olay vitamins are gluten-free and even are labeled gluten-free). I also eat lots of fruits and veggies, try to get protein from fish or chicken a couple times a week. Plus a few days ago Patti (NJ Angel) by way a Tif ( Floradamink) got me on a probiotic (must have really in my opinion for celiacs) called CULTURELLE and you can get it at CVS. And to think, I thought Patti and Tiff were learning from me and here they taught me something :). Those are my advice and believe me, anyone who knows me can tell you...I took the hard road to learning what my body needs to make up for not having the things like wheat.

Hugs

Bridge

PS Jen you changed your photo, you look different :).

Bridget back on the board--as I live and breathe!! I just came on for a minute and saw you had posted. Great to hear you're taking the Culturelle. I'm on the 9th day, I think. So far, so good. A little 'rumbling'the first few days, though. I agree on the vitamins--I have been taking Centrum all along.

floridanative Community Regular

Hey Bridge...thanks for the compliment! Glad I'm able to help someone after everyone has helped me so much. Saying thank you would never convey the support I've felt from most everyone on this board. Now I'm just trying to help my own Mother (dx'd Monday) to stick with the gluten-free diet. She's been sick for years so she probably won't feel better in two or even four weeks like I did.

eeyor-fan Contributor
Hey Bridge...thanks for the compliment! Glad I'm able to help someone after everyone has helped me so much. Saying thank you would never convey the support I've felt from most everyone on this board. Now I'm just trying to help my own Mother (dx'd Monday) to stick with the gluten-free diet. She's been sick for years so she probably won't feel better in two or even four weeks like I did.

Good to see everyon..ya been a tough few months but I'm starting to kick butt again. Just waiting for that one lest test and then answers from that. Back to aerobics and Curves again...never thaght I'd be here 6 weeks ago!

Hugs

Bridget

Lollie Enthusiast

I wanted to ask my own question along the same lines as the original post.....Are the vitamins that important? I only ask because I have a horrible time digesting them. I always have had trouble for some reason, with vitamins. I try to eat a really healthy diet, lots of fruit and vegies. But, I notice most seem to take them. If they are really necessary, is there such a thing as a buffered vitamin or does any one have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Lollie

penguin Community Regular
I wanted to ask my own question along the same lines as the original post.....Are the vitamins that important? I only ask because I have a horrible time digesting them. I always have had trouble for some reason, with vitamins. I try to eat a really healthy diet, lots of fruit and vegies. But, I notice most seem to take them. If they are really necessary, is there such a thing as a buffered vitamin or does any one have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Lollie

I don't do well with grown up vitamins! They always make me feel sick. I take the gummy vites (kids gummy bear vitamins!) at night and they don't give me any problems. I usually take 3... and they're awful yummy! :lol:

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you eat a healthy, well rounded diet (variety is KEY!), and never relied on fortified cereal and bread for iron and folic acid, then you don't need to add anything to your diet after taking gluten out. If you did rely on artificially fortified products for these ingredients (and many americans do just that for folic acid especially), then you'll probably want to look into good sources of that nutrient or supplements. Other than that, there is nothing unique to bread/pastas that can't be found in a myriad of other foods.

Lollie Enthusiast
I don't do well with grown up vitamins! They always make me feel sick. I take the gummy vites (kids gummy bear vitamins!) at night and they don't give me any problems. I usually take 3... and they're awful yummy! :lol:

Thanks! My girls take those everday, princess style of course! I never even thought about it for my own use! I'll give it a try!

Lollie

• 3 months later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

B-12 shots are helpful. I have just learned how to give myself a shot every week. I fell a lot better the very next day.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I did want to add, there have been studies done that show that celiacs that rely upon gluten-free alternatives, particularly gluten-free breads and cookies and the like, may be deficient in folic acid, since the primary source of this nutrient in the standard american diet is from fortified grains. If you're eating a variety of fresh foods, this isn't a concern, however.

clover Rookie

Thanks,

Lollie

You can buy chewable multi-vitamins which are FAR easier to digest and will help you exponentially during those times when your immune system is at a low. Take only when you feel you need a boost.

Archived