This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Poop

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

BamBam gets embarrassed when she has to excuse herself to go to the bathroom at work, she thinks she is the only one that poops in the afternoon or evening. I know this is not true, that she is the only one that poops in the afternoon or evening. What do you think?!

Mr. BamBam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast
BamBam gets embarrassed when she has to excuse herself to go to the bathroom at work, she thinks she is the only one that poops in the afternoon or evening. I know this is not true, that she is the only one that poops in the afternoon or evening. What do you think?!

Mr. BamBam

Puhleaze... my friends at work tease me about having the bathroom to myself after lunch ;)

Also my secret tip is that if I'm in a meeting and need to excuse myself, I act like my pager has gone off and say "oh, it's my daughter's school - I'll be right back". (If you don't have little BamBam's this won't work for you though!!)

jenvan Collaborator

Tell her not to be embarrassed! Fact is everyone poops, get diarrhea at times, farts etc... :) I do understand though... Our bathroom is in our office, so I see everyone go in and come out... I go more than once a day usually and I'd say people in my office are going everyday too! And how would her coworkers know whether she is going #1 or #2 when she excuses herself? I can't remember where she works... It would be harder maybe if you were in a classroom setting or needed someone to cover for you while you're gone. I hope she is still feeling better... It still good news that she is going now! Is she having to run to the bathroom, as in urgent or is it just a typical BM?

BamBam Community Regular

She works at a clinic and is often times all by herself for most of the day. That is the thing that bothers her the most, is there is no one to cover for her. She works in a clinic, so if she is not at the desk, the patients do not get registered and back to their doctors. For the most part it is a regular bm. Bambam walks with a disability, and so it is hard for her to "run" if she has to, that is why she is so anxious about it, about having an accident. With this dairy thing out of the way, not eating dairy, I am hoping that things will settle down with her and she can stop thinking about it all the time. She is feeling better, but the "trusting her body" part just isn't there yet. She has had to "run" and has had accidents for the last twelve years, so it is gonna take awhile to learn to trust her body again. I think she feels if she doesn't poop at 7 a.m. there is something wrong with her. I poop all the time, morning, noon, night, and get up during the night. We are hoping things continue to stay good.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Reading this post reminded me of some kids books. The first one being "Everyone Poops" and the second one being "The Gas We Pass, the story of Farts". Check them out from the library for her, at least she might get a good laugh. They are for kids, but I know when I read them, I giggle!!

Open Original Shared Link

Hopefully that will at least give her a laugh :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest stef 4 dogs
Reading this post reminded me of some kids books. The first one being "Everyone Poops" and the second one being "The Gas We Pass, the story of Farts". Check them out from the library for her, at least she might get a good laugh. They are for kids, but I know when I read them, I giggle!!

Hopefully that will at least give her a laugh :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I never thought in a million years I would listen to or be part of so many poop conversations! Its SO FUNNY!!!! Some things are just better with strangers!!LOL!!!

stef 4 dogs :lol:

Robix Apprentice

Warning, you are about to read a stupid question about poop!

Since we're on the topic, and lord knows I have never talked about this before with anybody....but um, what's with the floating poop thing?

Is poop NOT supposed to float?

Doesn't EVERYBODY's poop float?

And what does it mean that it floats? Ie. Why does it float, and what does this have to do with celiac disease?

Whew. Glad I got that question off my chest.

Thanks for answering a stupid question (but am really hoping for a smart answer!!!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Warning, you are about to read a stupid question about poop!

Since we're on the topic, and lord knows I have never talked about this before with anybody....but um, what's with the floating poop thing?

Is poop NOT supposed to float?

Doesn't EVERYBODY's poop float?

And what does it mean that it floats? Ie. Why does it float, and what does this have to do with celiac disease?

Whew. Glad I got that question off my chest.

Thanks for answering a stupid question (but am really hoping for a smart answer!!!)

Nope, it's not supposed to float. That usually means there's too much fat in it (the fat hasn't been absormbed by the body and is instead passed out the stool, where it floats, because it is lower in density than water).

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Tiff,

Do you know why stools tend to float after a night of cocktails and drinking?

I always wondered that...drinks don't have "fat" in them, do they? (unless you count the calories turning into fat, right?)

tarnalberry Community Regular
Tiff,

Do you know why stools tend to float after a night of cocktails and drinking?

I always wondered that...drinks don't have "fat" in them, do they? (unless you count the calories turning into fat, right?)

I don't know. I haven't had that experience either...

aikiducky Apprentice

Actually I read somewhere (and it's so annoying that I never remember where, because I'd love to give you the reference) that it's not the fat, or that it's not necessarily the fat, but too much gas in the poop that makes it float. So the poop is porous like foam and floats. It would make sense with celiac, at least, the gas, I mean. :P:blink::D

Pauliina

julie5914 Contributor

Yeah, it's not supposed to float (but mine almost always do *blush*). My husband is appalled that go 3-4 times a day. He also has gotten used to talking about it. He will gloat that his are well formed and sinking, and I will tell him I am jealous. :P

lonewolf Collaborator

My doctor said that it will float if you eat a lot of fiber also.

nettiebeads Apprentice
Yeah, it's not supposed to float (but mine almost always do *blush*). My husband is appalled that go 3-4 times a day. He also has gotten used to talking about it. He will gloat that his are well formed and sinking, and I will tell him I am jealous. :P

POOP ENVY??? :o What would Froid think of that????? :lol:

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have a few ideas:

If the bathroom is in visable site of everyone, and they can see her go in and out, then suggest for her to take her purse into the bathroom everytime she goes. Then people may think that she is just re-applying her make-up or brushing her hair or something.

Maybe there is another bathroom she could go to on another floor or in another office room?

jenvan Collaborator

Just thought of the owner of my mom's company...he would always take the WSJ into the bathroom with him, in plain view of everyone, on the #2 trips---like "Guess what I'm going to be doing?" Maybe its a guy thing? :P

penguin Community Regular
Just thought of the owner of my mom's company...he would always take the WSJ into the bathroom with him, in plain view of everyone, on the #2 trips---like "Guess what I'm going to be doing?" Maybe its a guy thing? :P

Women are taught to be very demure about their pooping. As far as my grandmother is concerned, nobody poops! (though I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't, she's pretty grumpy :ph34r: )

In college I had people thinking that I was in the bathroom all the time because I was throwing up. Everyone knew I was sick, they just didn't know about the D. Erm, I didn't correct them either, vomiting is much more ladylike :rolleyes: I didn't know I was so good at keeping it a secret until I was dx'ed and my husband said, "you've had D everyday for the last 3 years?! and I didn't know?!" my mom had approximately the same reaction...

It is embarassing, but I've become a lot more open about it. DH expects to hear about it (I almost called him when I had my first normal, sinking poop :lol: )

My mom starts almost every conversation with "so how's the diarrhea?" :o Even as an adult, moms will ALWAYS find a way to embarass the hell out of you! ;)

Oh, and she asks this on the phone no matter who she is with. Once my brother and his twins could be heard in the background singing the diarrhea song...

jenvan Collaborator
Women are taught to be very demure about their pooping. As far as my grandmother is concerned, nobody poops! (though I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't, she's pretty grumpy :ph34r: )

Well, we all know that women don't poop, fart or sweat! :P

Archived