This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting Sick Easier Since gluten-free

rache

rache Apprentice

i suffer from a mix of C & D. I get bad stomach aches, cramps. I can usually feel gas gurgling around inside, but it doesnt go anywhere. i think the constant nausea is what bothers me the most. the Dr. prescribed me Zelnorm about 3 weeks ago. Don't notice any difference yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast

hhhh

rache Apprentice

i reallllly do try my hardest to be 100% gluten free. i eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, fresh things!!! i have a whole cabinet foods that are gluten free (in my area you cant buy a lot of stuff at the stores, so i order online). i kept a food diary for months at the begining. i quit doing it because i always eat the same foods, fruits, vegetables, etc. i swear each week i repeat the same meals over and over again, which gets so boring! but im sure everything is gluten free. ive hadan episode where ive been glutened, and that was NOT pleasant. way more sick than i am on a daily basis, and that lasted about a week. im really running out of ideas. im finding it hard to get out of bed every day. im sick of going to the doctor, no one seems to really want to help! it took me 4 yrs just to get diagnosed with celiac disease. this stuff just gets me down all the time. i just feel that i shouldnt have to live like this... im 21! i have a baby to take care of! i just wish i could carry on a somewhat "regular" lifestyle, without being sick ALL the time.

key Contributor

Rache,

I am SO sorry you are feeling so bad lately. I have been feeling the same way for weeks. Very depressing. I was unknowingly getting gluten though by CC and I think that is why my body has been so sick for six months. I had gotten gluttened so many times, I am SO hoping this was the problem. Just the past two days I am feeling better. I hope it isn't a fluke, but my IBS-C is dying down on it's own and I am pretty sure that I haven't had any cc issues in two weeks. I know for four months I felt 100% better at first, so I think I got more sensitive as time went on and I started reacting to even very small amounts of gluten. THe thing is, is that when I am gluttened badly, I know it, but when it is just CC I just get moodier and have IBS-C. WHen it is severe I have D for a day and then returns to C.

I really don't know your situation and what you are eating. I think if you are having bloating and nausea though, it definitely sounds as if you could be getting gluten somewhere.

Maybe if you run all your products shampoos, conditioners, lipstick, foods. Do you cook other food with gluten in for someone in your family??

I don't eat out anymore, minus one place that I get a baked potatoe and that is it.

I know it is hard when you have kids and don't want to get out of bed. This has been a very recent experience for me too. My husband has been telling me though, that it will get better and when he says that it always gives me strength and makes me feel better. Just knowing that this can't last forever and it isn't the rest of my life makes me feel a bit better. It can be VERY depressing to feel sick everyday!! I will keep you in my prayers and you can email me anytime you are feeling down and want someone to listen!

HUGS<

Monica

julie5914 Contributor

rache, have you tried cutting dairy for a couple of weeks? Dairy allergies can cause digestive upset along with respiratory problems. I was sick a lot before dx. Since dx I have not been sick yet. I take vitamins (and probiotics when I remember). I took Zelnorm before dx when I still thought it was IBS - the only thing it really helped with was going to the bathroom when I couldn't. I don't remember it really helping much with pain or bloating. I didn't have illnesses or respiratory problems after going gluten-free, but I did still feel weak and shaky, sore a lot, and had a lot of bloating, discomfort. Going dairy free has helped me out a lot. It probably wouldn't solve everything, even if you are allergic - takes our bodies a while to adjust and get the bad stuff out - I still feel weak and sore sometimes. But I do hope it's just dairy - it's worth a shot and free to try anyway.

Just remember, it's not just no milk - it's no butter and no cheese! And no eating out while you are testing to see if that's it because there is butter everywhere! If you need butter-type stuff at home - Flieschman's stick margarine is ok if it's the kind that says Lactose Free on it. Double check the ingredients - but it should be totally dairy free because it is probably casein, not lactose, that is bugging you.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Yeah i get sick a lot more and lot easier since being gluten-free. Even tho i follow it very strict now, it seems to be making my immune system weaker. I didnt even bother going for a flu-shot this year, because I got one last year for the first time, and I ended up sick more than when i DONT get the shot!

Its a big pain in the butt if you ask me :P

~lisa~

gfp Enthusiast

i

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived