1 reply to this topic

#1 DKS

DKS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:25 PM

I just found out I have celiac disease, I was tested because my sister has had it for years. I feel totally normal, I have always been in great shape, and I am very active. I decided to go on a glutin free diet because I want to stop any damage as soon as I can. I have been on the diet for about a week and now I have gas, stomach discomfort, and irregular bowel movements, it seems like I'm more messed up now, is my body just adjusting to my new diet ? Anyone have the same experience???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:01 AM

Hi DKS,

Remember that you developed your gluten diet over years. It will take you some time to develop diet without gluten in it.

Raw vegetables and nuts can cause stomach discomfort.

Gas can be caused by the order in which you eat sugars, complex carbohydrates, and proteins. As a general rule, eat the sugary foods (fruit, candy, pastries, etc.) 20 minuets before your main course, or 2 hours after. While the body is going after the quick energy of the sugars, it ignores the other foods that sit there and create gas. Remember that over the millions of years it took to develop our digestive system, only one food was eaten at a time. Seven course meals are not found in the natural world.

Most people will have irregular bowel movements when they go on vacation because of change in diet, stress, and different bacteria in their foods. Going gluten free has all these conditions plus a few others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: