This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is The Best Pre-made Gluten Free Bread?

cdiane

cdiane Newbie

I have tried Kinnickinik and Energy Pre-Made bread but haven't found them to be excellent. I'm looking for a white squishy bread like Wonder or Aunt Millie's potatoe bread. Has anyone tried a gluten-free bread that is outstanding? I'm very picky and would rather do without than settle. I'm also allergic to corn and soy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jnclelland Contributor
I have tried Kinnickinik and Energy Pre-Made bread but haven't found them to be excellent. I'm looking for a white squishy bread like Wonder or Aunt Millie's potatoe bread. Has anyone tried a gluten-free bread that is outstanding? I'm very picky and would rather do without than settle. I'm also allergic to corn and soy.

Not entirely premade, but Breads by Anna has mixes that are free of corn, rice and soy as well as dairy, gluten, and even yeast if you want. I get the yeast-free one, and it's surprisingly good. Since it doesn't have to rise, you just mix it up and pop it in the oven for 70 minutes. It's more of a whole-grain flavor than a white bread flavor, but it's yummy and the texture is nice and soft (squishy even!) when it's reasonably fresh.

Jeanne

Susan123 Rookie

I am curious too. I love white bread and I am just not finding a substitute. I tried Annas made directly from her and didn't like the after taste. But I am a white bread eater and that is probably why. I am sure it is delicious to those who like the darker heavier tasting breads. If you find one please post it. I would love to eat bread again.

angielackner Contributor

whole foods gluten-free bakery makes a decent bread...i use the sandwich bread all the time (the white bread)...i have found that if you keep it in the fridge it stays good for like a month, whereas the pantry only keeps it good for a few days <_< ...so then i nuke the bread for a few seconds to get it soft again, or i toast it in the toaster oven. i think its pretty good in the way of premade bread...its just pricey...but what isnt thats gluten-free? <_<

angie

kabowman Explorer

How does Anna's yeast free bread compare with Kinnickinik yeast free bread mix which was so much better than the Ener-g yeast free pre-made bread (can you say styrofoam?).

killernj13 Enthusiast

Whole Foods Garlic & Sun Dried Tomato bread is the best I know of. However, I am not sure if it has soy.

kassixjo15 Newbie

My favorite bread i have ever tried is Whole Food Gluten-Free Bakehouse Sandwich Bread.

They sell it at Whole Foods in a little section within the actual bakery. This by far is the best bread i have ever had and it is very good. My family (non-celiacs) eat it all the time and they like it very much as well, so it can't be that bad, right?

Give it a try!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Not entirely premade, but Breads by Anna has mixes that are free of corn, rice and soy as well as dairy, gluten, and even yeast if you want. I get the yeast-free one, and it's surprisingly good. Since it doesn't have to rise, you just mix it up and pop it in the oven for 70 minutes. It's more of a whole-grain flavor than a white bread flavor, but it's yummy and the texture is nice and soft (squishy even!) when it's reasonably fresh.

Jeanne

Do you need a bread machine to make Anna's? I have heard people rave about this bread but I don't want to get a bread machine just yet.

eeyor-fan Contributor

I like Glutino Fiber Bread...but I find all gluten-free bread gives me heart burn.]

jnclelland Contributor
Do you need a bread machine to make Anna's? I have heard people rave about this bread but I don't want to get a bread machine just yet.

Not for the yeast-free one; I just mix it up with a mixer and pop it in the oven. I imagine that the yeast mix doesn't *require* a bread maker, but it would make it less work.

Jeanne

How does Anna's yeast free bread compare with Kinnickinik yeast free bread mix which was so much better than the Ener-g yeast free pre-made bread (can you say styrofoam?).

I've never tried Kinnickinik's mix, so I can't say how they compare. But I have tried the Ener-g, and I took one bite and threw the rest in the trash - BLECH!!! Anna's yeast-free has a better texure than I ever imagined a yeast-free bread could have; my only complaint is that it gets kind of dry and crumbly after 4 or 5 days. But it's *wonderful* when it's fresh! (One of these days I'm going to try slicing and freezing it to see how it holds up in the freezer...)

Jeanne

kabowman Explorer

I remember why I can't do Anna's - chickpea flour. I have problems with most beans and chickpea is one of them. Darn...

ilstate Newbie

Ener-g Tapioca Light. The regular tapioca isn't very good. But the "light" is awesome. No toasting needed. It tastes like glutened sandwich white bread. Also, they have a seattle brown bread. But it was so moist it fell apart. I can't find the light in stores, but they sell it online. Very good. I have hated every other kind I have tried.

Rusla Enthusiast

The Kinnickinnik rice/tapioca cheese bread is good. I discovered the secret was to take it out of the fridge and pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes and it becomes soft.

penguin Community Regular

Am I the only one that doesn't miss bread :huh:

I've tried some for the hell of it, but I find that I didn't really eat it anyway. I hate sandwiches! :blink:

And I'm pretty, erm, cheap :P

Five bucks for a loaf of bread I could build a house with isn't really something that helps me seperate my money from my wallet...

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've tried some for the hell of it, but I find that I didn't really eat it anyway. I hate sandwiches! :blink:

Five bucks for a loaf of bread I could build a house with isn't really something that helps me seperate my money from my wallet...

I don't much miss bread either. There's nothing that's quite the same to me, and there's nothing that I can't adapt around. (And I'm not cheap when it comes to food... so my bill from Whole Foods last night proves. :-P )

angielackner Contributor

you know, until i found the whole foods bread, i didnt eat bread either cuz i couldnt stand any of the others i tried...so i used tostito style chips and ate my egg salad or chicken salad with those...it was cheaper, and it worked :P

angie

hlm34 Apprentice

I actually really love the Food For Life Brown Rice bread. Its not totally the same as bread but I actually like it better as toast with butter. I find that its the easiest and fastest quick breakfast for me as i am running out the door for work. I have not tried it as a sandwich bread, but like it for toast. In fact, I might even eat it if I didnt have celiac disease.

• 4 weeks later...
JenAnderson Rookie

I tried Ener-g's Harvest Loaf and it was pretty good as far as being a bit tastier than the cardboard they try to pass for bread. I've tried the ones from the Whold Foods Market and on our income, I can't pay that much for bread that will spoil in a few days. Right now i'm buying Bob's gluten-free Sandwich Bread Mix and I have to say that it's the closest to regular bread I can find. It's not really the squishyness of the bread that I want. I WANT A REGULAR SIZED SANDWICH NOT A HORS D' OVERS!!!!!!!

jenvan Collaborator

I didn't do Anna's yeast-free...so it may be different. But when I used her regular--it turned out great. Has a soft, fluffy texture--best I've seen so far. I do stick with Kinnikinnick out of simplicity though. I usually toast the bread before I make my sandwiches too.

Moongirl Community Regular

I have to go with Kinnickinik here, ive tried a few other ones that just fall apart. What I love to do with the bread if Im at home I make a melt out of it. Either turkey or ham, and I butter the bread a little bit toast it in a frying pan, then throw on the turkey and cheese....let them all warm up and throw on ur toppings and u can even tell the difference that your eating a gluten-free sandwich. yum!

Green12 Enthusiast

I don't really miss bread now after 2 years, but it was really hard the first several months for me after going gluten free- I craved bread and pizza with a thick crust like a crazy woman. I do like the Food For Life breads best out of everything that I have tried, but I just don't have it very often because I don't do well with so many of the substitute flours and ingredients, so I found it's better for me to just go without the bread. I am perfectly content with my Food For Life Rice Tortillas as a bread substitute for when I want sandwiches.

mouse Enthusiast

I love the Kinnickinnik bread. I eat several sandwiches a week. It also is firm enough to dip in egg and fry for various types of sandwiches. Not that I am going to dip any in egg for a long time since I ate that Easter egg and got so sick.

TCA Contributor

This bread was not premade, but I haven't found a good premade one yet. It's Cause you're special brand. It was sooooo soft and squishy. I didn't make it in the bread machine, I just used my mixer. I ordered it from glutefreegourment.com It's as close to Wonder Bread as I've found. My husband even ate it and liked it and he was a white bread only kinda guy.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

you are SO funny!! And by the way FIVE bucks?? Bargain...The gluten-free breads from Whole Paycheck are $8.50 here in California. And when I toasted them, two or three different varieties, they just crumbled. 'Twas a sad day, but not as sad as when I shelled out almost $9 for a double-pack of pizza crusts at same spot....they were like frisbees, only heavier and more lethal, and developed mold before I could use them..... :angry:

I always hated sandwiches too, and then suddenly not only crave them but dream about them....*sigh*

Anywho the only tolerable bread I have found is Food for Life Brown Rice Bread. But lest you get your hopes up for a slice of dreamy gluten-y fluff, the texture of it is like a bagel. Once I was prepared for that I was okay.

susan

penguin Community Regular
you are SO funny!! And by the way FIVE bucks?? Bargain...The gluten-free breads from Whole Paycheck are $8.50 here in California. And when I toasted them, two or three different varieties, they just crumbled. 'Twas a sad day, but not as sad as when I shelled out almost $9 for a double-pack of pizza crusts at same spot....they were like frisbees, only heavier and more lethal, and developed mold before I could use them..... :angry:

I always hated sandwiches too, and then suddenly not only crave them but dream about them....*sigh*

Anywho the only tolerable bread I have found is Food for Life Brown Rice Bread. But lest you get your hopes up for a slice of dreamy gluten-y fluff, the texture of it is like a bagel. Once I was prepared for that I was okay.

susan

Whole Paycheck! I love it!

I think if I ever want bread, I'll make it myself. Then at least I'll feel defeated, but not totally cheated as if I bought the lead styrofoam... <_< When I was first dx'ed, I made the joke that gluten-free food fell into one of two categories: styrofoam or cardboard. So far, I wasn't that far off :P

Archived