32 replies to this topic

#1 eeyor_fan

eeyor_fan

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:06 PM

For anyone wondering I called Activia yesterday. The reply I got from their reps are "no Activia yogurts are gluten safe". Just thought I'd post it if anyone was wondering.
Hugs
Bridge

I first tested positive for celiac in August 2004. Born/raised in Canada, now lives in NJ. Borderline RA and problems with GI muscle disfunction since Dec 2005...BUT FIGHTING BACK HARDER EVERY DAY!!!

Life has no dress rehersals so live each moment as if it were your last! At the end of the day it is YOU that you have to answer to. Karma and fate is what you choose it to be! Never sacrafice your dreams or beliefs. If someone truely likes you, they like you for who you are, not what they want you to be!
Bridget

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gabrielle

gabrielle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

For anyone wondering I called Activia yesterday. The reply I got from their reps are "no Activia yogurts are gluten safe". Just thought I'd post it if anyone was wondering.
Hugs
Bridge

Thanks... NO WONDER I FELT HORRIBLE!!!!! Oh well, at least I know now. Thanks so much for the info!
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

#3 Mahee34

Mahee34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

they just say that they can't be 100% positive that it is gluten free to avoid the hassle.....most all yougurt is normally considered gluten free....dannon just apparently is like that...i eat the activia and i do fine with it, it's supposed to help regulate your digestive tract which could be why you didn't fell well.....however there is a brand of the same type of regulating yogourt out but i don't remember what it's called....someone i'm sure will post it on here.

i'm sorry you didn't fell well!

#4 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

It's all marketing. All activa does is the same thing all other yogurt does, it replaces the good bacteria. They claim they have an exclusive strand, they don't, cascade fresh has the same one, and has 7 other cultures. They also list gluten-free on the label!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#5 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:13 AM

I also ate the Activia yogurt with no ill effects at all. The only reason we tried it is we had a good coupon and it was on sale. I will be staying away from it now.

Tinkerbell
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#6 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:31 AM

I LOVE the Cascade!!! and my friend said the Activa was nasty! So I decided to stay away. Sorry you got sick.

#7 eeyor_fan

eeyor_fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:46 AM

they just say that they can't be 100% positive that it is gluten free to avoid the hassle.....most all yougurt is normally considered gluten free....dannon just apparently is like that...i eat the activia and i do fine with it, it's supposed to help regulate your digestive tract which could be why you didn't fell well.....however there is a brand of the same type of regulating yogourt out but i don't remember what it's called....someone i'm sure will post it on here.

i'm sorry you didn't fell well!

No offence but your wrong....plain yogurt is a lot of times gluten-free but NOT flavored. Some can say they are gluten-free but ALOT of flavored is NOT. And he did not say they can not be 100% positive...he said "ACTIVIA" is NOT gluten-free....it was me on the phone remember! I've contacted so many companies and done so much research into comapanies...I do know what I'm talking about on this.
No offence. Just like not all milk or cheese is gluten-free...it depends on the additives, the processing, etc.
I first tested positive for celiac in August 2004. Born/raised in Canada, now lives in NJ. Borderline RA and problems with GI muscle disfunction since Dec 2005...BUT FIGHTING BACK HARDER EVERY DAY!!!

Life has no dress rehersals so live each moment as if it were your last! At the end of the day it is YOU that you have to answer to. Karma and fate is what you choose it to be! Never sacrafice your dreams or beliefs. If someone truely likes you, they like you for who you are, not what they want you to be!
Bridget

#8 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

Yopliat is gluten-free unless listed in the ingredients other wise, Stoney Fields farms is gluten free all flavors, Cascade is gluten free all flavors, Kroger Brand is gluten free all falvors, and so on. There are ALOT of companies that make safe yogurt, so I personaly wont by any Danon yogurt, or any company that wont state thier product is gluten-free. Thats just my take. :)

- Vincent -

#9 Mahee34

Mahee34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:20 PM

i was just telling you what i was told when i talked to them......i never claim to be an expert it's a pretty normal occurance for me to be wrong..i've not had a reaction with the activia and i only ate it to give it a try....sorry for being wrong...glad that you set me straight! :blink: yogourt isn't my favorite anway ha, so i don't eat it much :P

although, you aren't the only one who has called so the whole "it was me on the phone remember" and the "i do know what i'm talking about on this" kinda isn't necessary, i was by no means calling you a liar or saying what you were saying was incorrect nor implying that you didn't know what you were talking about....just saying that my experience when i phoned them was a different one.

#10 juliuspeppers

juliuspeppers

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

hmm....it's spelled offense....but I called the company too and they gave me quite the run around. I just don't buy their stuff if they aren't very nice to deal with.

#11 gabrielle

gabrielle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

Hey, more power to those of you that can eat the Activia and feel fine. I usually eat Yoplait- but I thought I would try this. I had the peach kind, and it did make my stomach hurt (as well as a few other unmentionable things...). I didn't mean to stir up anything by saying it made me ill- but it's the truth!! I'll stick with the yoplait, and thank you eeyor_fan for posting! :D
Gabrielle
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

#12 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:32 AM

Hey, more power to those of you that can eat the Activia and feel fine. I usually eat Yoplait- but I thought I would try this. I had the peach kind, and it did make my stomach hurt (as well as a few other unmentionable things...). I didn't mean to stir up anything by saying it made me ill- but it's the truth!! I'll stick with the yoplait, and thank you eeyor_fan for posting! :D

Which types of the yoplait are gluten-free?
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#13 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:48 AM

Which types of the yoplait are gluten-free?

All unless they list wheat in the ingredents, which I have yet to see. I love thier White Choloclate Rasberry one!

Yoplait is a General Mills product, so you just need check the ingreents, BUT CC is always possilbe.

- Vincent -

#14 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:07 AM

Recently on there I have seen that Stonyfield Farm's flavored yogurt's May NOt be gluten free. Does anyone know more about this. When I had called she said it was distilled vinegar in the Natural Flavoring that made them not want to say it was gluten free, but then I read it was something different.
Monica

#15 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:40 AM

Recently on there I have seen that Stonyfield Farm's flavored yogurt's May NOt be gluten free. Does anyone know more about this. When I had called she said it was distilled vinegar in the Natural Flavoring that made them not want to say it was gluten free, but then I read it was something different.
Monica

Here is thier offical reply on the gluten question:

From: Stonyfield Farm Nutritionist <WebSite@stonyfield.com> Mailed-By: stonyfield.com
Date: Mar 8, 2006 3:05 PM

Hello Vincent,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We always welcome comments
and questions from our yogurt lovers and are grateful when someone takes
the time to let us know what they think of our Company and products.

Though we don't add gluten, there is an immeasurable amount of gluten in
our flavored yogurt that contains natural flavorings. A distilled grain
alcohol is used to extract flavors from spices. Our nonfat plain, low
fat plain and whole milk plain do not contain any natural flavorings.
If you have any doubts on whether to consume these flavors, please
contact your doctor. We are in the process of learning more about
Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to
miniscule amounts. We have difficulty answering questions because we are
concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique
and sensitive health issues without the person going through their
doctor. Especially since the outcome can be serious.

We are passionately committed to producing the best tasting, healthiest
yogurts available, and trying to do some good in the world while we're
at it. Please visit our web site at Stonyfield.com to learn more.

Sincerely,

Fil Kovisars
Consumer Relations
FROM THE FOLKS AT STONYFIELD FARM!

So yes, the ARE gluten-free.

- Vincent -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: