This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Activia Yogurt

eeyor-fan

eeyor-fan Contributor

For anyone wondering I called Activia yesterday. The reply I got from their reps are "no Activia yogurts are gluten safe". Just thought I'd post it if anyone was wondering.

Hugs

Bridge

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gabrielle Contributor
For anyone wondering I called Activia yesterday. The reply I got from their reps are "no Activia yogurts are gluten safe". Just thought I'd post it if anyone was wondering.

Hugs

Bridge

Thanks... NO WONDER I FELT HORRIBLE!!!!! Oh well, at least I know now. Thanks so much for the info!

Mahee34 Enthusiast

they just say that they can't be 100% positive that it is gluten free to avoid the hassle.....most all yougurt is normally considered gluten free....dannon just apparently is like that...i eat the activia and i do fine with it, it's supposed to help regulate your digestive tract which could be why you didn't fell well.....however there is a brand of the same type of regulating yogourt out but i don't remember what it's called....someone i'm sure will post it on here.

i'm sorry you didn't fell well!

penguin Community Regular

It's all marketing. All activa does is the same thing all other yogurt does, it replaces the good bacteria. They claim they have an exclusive strand, they don't, cascade fresh has the same one, and has 7 other cultures. They also list gluten-free on the label!

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I also ate the Activia yogurt with no ill effects at all. The only reason we tried it is we had a good coupon and it was on sale. I will be staying away from it now.

Tinkerbell

Becky6 Enthusiast

I LOVE the Cascade!!! and my friend said the Activa was nasty! So I decided to stay away. Sorry you got sick.

eeyor-fan Contributor
they just say that they can't be 100% positive that it is gluten free to avoid the hassle.....most all yougurt is normally considered gluten free....dannon just apparently is like that...i eat the activia and i do fine with it, it's supposed to help regulate your digestive tract which could be why you didn't fell well.....however there is a brand of the same type of regulating yogourt out but i don't remember what it's called....someone i'm sure will post it on here.

i'm sorry you didn't fell well!

No offence but your wrong....plain yogurt is a lot of times gluten-free but NOT flavored. Some can say they are gluten-free but ALOT of flavored is NOT. And he did not say they can not be 100% positive...he said "ACTIVIA" is NOT gluten-free....it was me on the phone remember! I've contacted so many companies and done so much research into comapanies...I do know what I'm talking about on this.

No offence. Just like not all milk or cheese is gluten-free...it depends on the additives, the processing, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Yopliat is gluten-free unless listed in the ingredients other wise, Stoney Fields farms is gluten free all flavors, Cascade is gluten free all flavors, Kroger Brand is gluten free all falvors, and so on. There are ALOT of companies that make safe yogurt, so I personaly wont by any Danon yogurt, or any company that wont state thier product is gluten-free. Thats just my take. :)

Mahee34 Enthusiast

i was just telling you what i was told when i talked to them......i never claim to be an expert it's a pretty normal occurance for me to be wrong..i've not had a reaction with the activia and i only ate it to give it a try....sorry for being wrong...glad that you set me straight! :blink: yogourt isn't my favorite anway ha, so i don't eat it much :P

although, you aren't the only one who has called so the whole "it was me on the phone remember" and the "i do know what i'm talking about on this" kinda isn't necessary, i was by no means calling you a liar or saying what you were saying was incorrect nor implying that you didn't know what you were talking about....just saying that my experience when i phoned them was a different one.

juliuspeppers Newbie

hmm....it's spelled offense....but I called the company too and they gave me quite the run around. I just don't buy their stuff if they aren't very nice to deal with.

gabrielle Contributor

Hey, more power to those of you that can eat the Activia and feel fine. I usually eat Yoplait- but I thought I would try this. I had the peach kind, and it did make my stomach hurt (as well as a few other unmentionable things...). I didn't mean to stir up anything by saying it made me ill- but it's the truth!! I'll stick with the yoplait, and thank you eeyor_fan for posting! :D

Moongirl Community Regular
Hey, more power to those of you that can eat the Activia and feel fine. I usually eat Yoplait- but I thought I would try this. I had the peach kind, and it did make my stomach hurt (as well as a few other unmentionable things...). I didn't mean to stir up anything by saying it made me ill- but it's the truth!! I'll stick with the yoplait, and thank you eeyor_fan for posting! :D

Which types of the yoplait are gluten-free?

VydorScope Proficient
Which types of the yoplait are gluten-free?

All unless they list wheat in the ingredents, which I have yet to see. I love thier White Choloclate Rasberry one!

Yoplait is a General Mills product, so you just need check the ingreents, BUT CC is always possilbe.

key Contributor

Recently on there I have seen that Stonyfield Farm's flavored yogurt's May NOt be gluten free. Does anyone know more about this. When I had called she said it was distilled vinegar in the Natural Flavoring that made them not want to say it was gluten free, but then I read it was something different.

Monica

VydorScope Proficient
Recently on there I have seen that Stonyfield Farm's flavored yogurt's May NOt be gluten free. Does anyone know more about this. When I had called she said it was distilled vinegar in the Natural Flavoring that made them not want to say it was gluten free, but then I read it was something different.

Monica

Here is thier offical reply on the gluten question:

From: Stonyfield Farm Nutritionist <WebSite@stonyfield.com> Mailed-By: stonyfield.com

Date: Mar 8, 2006 3:05 PM

Hello Vincent,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We always welcome comments

and questions from our yogurt lovers and are grateful when someone takes

the time to let us know what they think of our Company and products.

Though we don't add gluten, there is an immeasurable amount of gluten in

our flavored yogurt that contains natural flavorings. A distilled grain

alcohol is used to extract flavors from spices. Our nonfat plain, low

fat plain and whole milk plain do not contain any natural flavorings.

If you have any doubts on whether to consume these flavors, please

contact your doctor. We are in the process of learning more about

Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to

miniscule amounts. We have difficulty answering questions because we are

concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique

and sensitive health issues without the person going through their

doctor. Especially since the outcome can be serious.

We are passionately committed to producing the best tasting, healthiest

yogurts available, and trying to do some good in the world while we're

at it. Please visit our web site at Stonyfield.com to learn more.

Sincerely,

Fil Kovisars

Consumer Relations

FROM THE FOLKS AT STONYFIELD FARM!

So yes, the ARE gluten-free.

key Contributor

Thanks Vincent, I had called them myself and this is what they told me too, so I thought distilled vinegar was ok and chose to eat it. I don't think we have reacted to it. Then I read on here in another post, that maybe they were adding something else.

I am SO happy to know though, because I LOVE their yogurt. I think it is the best.

Monica

VydorScope Proficient
Thanks Vincent, I had called them myself and this is what they told me too, so I thought distilled vinegar was ok and chose to eat it. I don't think we have reacted to it. Then I read on here in another post, that maybe they were adding something else.

I am SO happy to know though, because I LOVE their yogurt. I think it is the best.

Monica

There was a hole thread on it, and I had read the same thing, yet several ppl had told me they were gluten-free, so I contacted them and got that email back and posted it to that thread. I have tried the one flavor my store carries, not bad... but at 5 times the price of Kroger brand and double the price of Yoplait, I can not afford them as often.

stardust Rookie
Here is thier offical reply on the gluten question:

So yes, the ARE gluten-free.

Hi, I am new at this, so I don't want to seem "uppity"-you guys really seem to tear into each other on here- but Stonyfield Farms says right there in THAT letter that there IS GLUTEN in it. He says they don't ADD gluten. Did I miss something or did you? "Though we don't add gluten, there IS an immeasurable AMOUNT OF GLUTEN in flavored yogurt..." "A distilled GRAIN alcohol is used to extract flavors...". Any questions? Yes, what are big corporate guys calling "immeasurable"? How closely have they bothered to TRY to measure for the infinitesemally small number of Celiac/DH users vs. general consumers? Is it cost effective? Methinks not. Is that "immeasurable amount" .003 micron? That's what, the size of a virus? That IS ENOUGH to make me, and others sick. .003 of a micron IS ALL IT TAKES to start the whole cycle in my body-like a virus starts a flu. Distilled means squat. Once, I drank TRIPLE distilled vodka-which was SUPPOSED to be made from POTATOES, but has TRIPLE distilled grain alcohol in it, and got sick. (No not hungover sick, rash, flue-ey, the works!) Some people ARE that sensitive and I am one of them. The "miniscule" amount of "hydrolyzed wheat protein" in a hair conditioner made me sick for two weeks and I only used it ONE time. I didn't even CONSUME it. It was just on my HAIR for 30 seconds, and then I rinsed it off!! Enough of the protein was evidently still there that my skin absorbed it and for a week, I could hardly eat ANYTHING my reaction was so severe. Now, In that WHOLE bottle, how much do you think there is? It's one of the last ingredients. How much did I use? A TINY portion of what was in the bottle. Then I RINSED it OUT OF MY HAIR. Now how much is left? An "Immeasurable amount" I'd say. ENOUGH TO MAKE ME SICK, that's how much. Again, I don't want to sound like I am upstaging you, but if you honestly missed that in that letter-which seemed disappointingly obvious to me-you need to know--and so does everyone else that will now go buy that stuff because you said it was O.K. It may not be. It WON'T BE FOR ME, and any one else that is especially sensitive. Maybe you are not that bad, or you child can't tell you when he feels-"Just a little off" after he eats his yogurt. What happens if you give it to him every day? You may be hurting him-but only just a little bit. I am sure you don't want to do that. Please be careful of the information you are dispersing, especially when it says that it DOES CONTAIN it, even if they didn't ADD it. People out there trust you. We all must work together-we are learning!!! Wheat is SO ubiqitous!! In everything!! Orange Juice, Drywall Mud, Mascara. Come on! Even after 3 years, I still get zapped occassionally. I posted a big long post on the shampoo/mascara deal that I just glutened myself with recently (Please see Post in Medicines/Cosmetics etc.)I don't really know how this forum all works yet, but I hope you will co-operate with me in distributing this corrected information. Very Sincerely and humbly yours, Dove Collins

VydorScope Proficient
Hi, I am new at this, so I don't want to seem "uppity"-you guys really seem to tear into each other on here- but Stonyfield Farms says right there in THAT letter that there IS GLUTEN in it. He says they don't ADD gluten. Did I miss something or did you? "Though we don't add gluten, there IS an immeasurable AMOUNT OF GLUTEN in flavored yogurt..." "A distilled GRAIN alcohol is used to extract flavors...". Any questions? Yes, what are big corporate guys calling "immeasurable"?

First, welcome to the forums! Please ask all you want. Im not tearing in to anyone, but some times the cold nature of the forum posts can seem like we are.

The part you are missing is that distilling removes gluten. The yogurt is safe for celiacs and many here eat it.

stardust Rookie
First, welcome to the forums! Please ask all you want. Im not tearing in to anyone, but some times the cold nature of the forum posts can seem like we are.

The part you are missing is that distilling removes gluten. The yogurt is safe for celiacs and many here eat it.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick! WoW. Distilling may remove the actual protein, but for me, that is not enough. As I said TRIPLE distilled is not enough. I aslo cannot consume distilled vinegars of any kind, nor vanilla nor flavored extracts caramal color.. My reaction to these is almost immediate, (an hour or 2) as with few other gluten items which usually take a day or two before I get HEEBY. Please, please, I'm just trying to be honest and tell you-some of us ARE THAT sensitive. Or at least I think someone else may be too. Surely I'm not the ONLY one. I used to think I was the only one that had this--but now I know better. So I try and DO better. That's all I'm saying. Someone else may still be getting it and not know where, like me-and it's because they ate organic ketchup with distilled vinegar, like I did, or yogurt, with distilled grain alcohol in the "natural" flavorings. It WOULD make ME sick, and maybe someone else too, and I just want them to be aware, and choose for themselves.

Guest Robbin
Thanks for getting back to me so quick! WoW. Distilling may remove the actual protein, but for me, that is not enough. As I said TRIPLE distilled is not enough. I aslo cannot consume distilled vinegars of any kind, nor vanilla nor flavored extracts caramal color.. My reaction to these is almost immediate, (an hour or 2) as with few other gluten items which usually take a day or two before I get HEEBY. Please, please, I'm just trying to be honest and tell you-some of us ARE THAT sensitive. Or at least I think someone else may be too. Surely I'm not the ONLY one. I used to think I was the only one that had this--but now I know better. So I try and DO better. That's all I'm saying. Someone else may still be getting it and not know where, like me-and it's because they ate organic ketchup with distilled vinegar, like I did, or yogurt, with distilled grain alcohol in the "natural" flavorings. It WOULD make ME sick, and maybe someone else too, and I just want them to be aware, and choose for themselves.

Wow, I thought I was the only one on here who gets sick from caramel color. I thought at first I was imagining it, but the longer I go gluten free the worse my reaction is to it. It really varies so much from individual, plus, I sincerely believe that some products that contain caramel color, even when manufactured in the US, are "slipping by" with wheat derivatives. Celiac doesn't get the recognition it deserves by the medical community, why do we assume that manufacturers really care that much about their additives? Does the FDA have the resources and manpower to monitor all the products properly? Do you have such faith in our govt. agencies that you would bet your health on it? I mean really, look at the track record of govt. agencies and tell me, do you feel safe ?! :blink:

stardust Rookie
Wow, I thought I was the only one on here who gets sick from caramel color. I thought at first I was imagining it, but the longer I go gluten free the worse my reaction is to it. It really varies so much from individual, plus, I sincerely believe that some products that contain caramel color, even when manufactured in the US, are "slipping by" with wheat derivatives. Celiac doesn't get the recognition it deserves by the medical community, why do we assume that manufacturers really care that much about their additives? Does the FDA have the resources and manpower to monitor all the products properly? Do you have such faith in our govt. agencies that you would bet your health on it? I mean really, look at the track record of govt. agencies and tell me, do you feel safe ?! :blink:

Robbin

Oh thank God someone besides me has this problem. I think Vydorscope thinks I am a nut case, but I really am that sensitive! I HATE to be the one that stands out and every one has to work around. It makes me so self conscious-as if I needed any more help in that department. But I have run into people not understanding my problem a lot before. Only everyone I know, even close friends even though they are sympathetic, they just don't get it. What on Earth would make any one think Stonyfield Farms or the Government or FDA would really care? I mean REALLY care enough to spend money on it? NO, half the reason wheat is so ubiquitous in every kind of product you can imagine is because it's CHEAP. They can use it as filler, and they do. A LOT. To save their MONEY. Well, Robbin, I think it's just a matter of time before the s*** hits the fan and they find out all this genetically engineered cheap "feedstuff" is adversely affecting a large portion of the population the U.S. and There are going to be MORE lawsuits and then they will see they have to spend MORE MONEY fighting gluten free interests and they will simply LEAVE IT OUT! The worst that can happen is better quality products for celiacs and non-celiacs alike.

But while I am on the subject, also, I have recently (within the last year) found that I cannot eat oats or oat product either. If you are that sensitive to wheat and derivitives, try taking oats out too, and see if that helps even more. and remember DISTILLED IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH--throw out salad dressings, vanilla or other extracts, olives, pickles, condiments. Check them all or DO WITHOUT. You'll be healthier in the long run!! Also check all your shampoos, hair gels, etc. hand creams, and yes MASCARA!!

Best of Luck-stay healthy! Lookin' out for each other--Dove

penguin Community Regular

Its my understanding that distilling takes all of the gluten out of the grain, since by distillings very nature proteins like gluten are too big to get through.

However, some Celiac's have problems with vinegar and other distilled things, regardless of the source, but it doesn't have to do with gluten. It's more a reaction to the vinegar, etc. itself.

Also, caramel color is on the red flag list because sometimes that DOES contain gluten...

stardust Rookie
Its my understanding that distilling takes all of the gluten out of the grain, since by distillings very nature proteins like gluten are too big to get through.

However, some Celiac's have problems with vinegar and other distilled things, regardless of the source, but it doesn't have to do with gluten. It's more a reaction to the vinegar, etc. itself.

Also, caramel color is on the red flag list because sometimes that DOES contain gluten...

ChelsE

I totally agree with you. Distillation actually only allows for the EVAPORATE from the "distilled" or boiled solution (grain, water, petroleum or whatever) to be used. That is, only the moisture that condensed from the STEAM of the product is used to make a "Distillate". That is why the old bootleggers called them SPIRITS. I'm serious-I'm not making this up. That is why distilled water is the "purest", all the heavier salts and minerals cannot rise up in the steam, so the steam is the purest form of water when it trickles back down and is collected as "distilled". All I am trying to explain is that, for me at least, even that is not good enough. I do know it only takes .003 of a micron of gliaden, the specific gluten protein responsible for most of our ills, to set off sensitive patients. ( I wish I could remember for the life of me where I read that, so I could refer all you people to that site. I have done a LOT of actual biological and medical research on all the different wheat proteins and how they affect the body, and I didn't think of documenting it. It was just for me at the time. I didn't realize there were so many people affected at that time. Just trying to figure out why I was so screwed up! ) See, it does not even take a WHOLE protein to set us off. Yes Gliaden is very large as far as molecular size goes, but is .003 of a micron's worth small enough to "float" into the vapor? I don't know, honestly. I am only speculating on empirical evidence that says "If I eat it, I am affected". Other hypotheses I have include: maybe it's just the mere "essence" of wheat protein-the "molecular memory" in the distillate, if you will. Or that perhaps, in the same way my body recognizes most viruses are bad, it overcompensates when it encounters anything even chemically RESEMBLING wheat proteins. Therefore the Oat and Barley issues, they are biologically related species of plants. I.E. I knew a guy who became allergic to asparagus after he had a vasectomy!! In the same manner, it was identified that some sperm leaked-his body attacked it with an infection (it wasn't where it was supposed to be ) ;) and by chance he had been eating asparagus every day as it was his favorite, and he grew his own and had been harvesting it daily, where this was not normal in asparagus "off-season". Long - short His body overreacted to ALL the "identified as weird" stuff in his blood at that time, and asparagus was one of them. His body did the correct thing and made antibodies against it. (This is where the AnA test most of you are familar with comes in, only Bernie's AnA is positive against something in asparagus and sperm!) He now gets horrendous hives immediately after eating it. (I assume he is also allergic to sperm, but was not about to ask him if he had tried to determine THAT. :blink: EEEWWW. But it would be interesting to know, from a scientific standpoint.

I believe even more research is needed in this field. Uh Wheat stuff not sperm! ;) For one, we JUST DO NOT KNOW what potentially is affecting us from these biologically engineered species they use in commercial wheat production today. Fact is , the wheat produced today is BIOLOGICALLY VERY DIFFERENT from the wheat our cavemen ancestors ate( and they didn't eat much of it, because they couldn't refine it like we do). Same as a Chihuahua or Poodle is NOT a wolf, We have tinkered with them and engineered them from WILD DOGS. Don't go all Creation/Evolution on me. We can document the breeding histories of these dogs from the beginning. In the same way a wolf would likely see a chihuahua as dinner and not another "wolf" , our bodies-many more of us than is realized IMO, simply do not recognize these proteins as "food" any more. And they don't know what to do with "NOT FOOD" except to attack it, or shuttle it off to the "other liver"-our Skin. There fore the rash and blisters. It's toxins trying to get out. And for me, even the smallest amount, sets me off. 2 shots of TRIPLE distilled vodka did it. And vodka is SUPPOSED to be made from potatoes, that's the only reason I drank it!! But later I read a bottle and it DID say FINEST GRAIN ALCOHOLS. Maybe again it is only used in the PROCESSING of the potatoes. 2 Tablespoons of salad dressing with Distilled white vinegar did it. Shampoo did it, and I DIDN"T EVEN EAT IT. Drywall mud dust does it, and it could only have been a MINUTE amount. Only what was LIGHT ENOUGH TO FLOAT IN THE AIR. Sound familiar? See what I mean?

I think Celiacs are on the verge of finding out this thing is more insidious than previously understood. I know that A LOT more research is underway, and we may have clearer answers soon. Until then, we can only pile up evidence and speculate, based upon our experience, and apparently, I have a new spin on what that might be. Some that have "tried everything" still may have missed this. If so they can begin getting better as soon as they read this. Robbin already has. And isn't THAT what this is all about? Getting MY experience out there so others know what to look out for? I don't care WHAT the FDA or Wheat board or Government has to say anymore. They change the stories and ingredients and stats constantly! IF THEY ARE NOT CELIACS, then they DON"T CARE AS MUCH AS I DO about what they are telling me is safe for me to eat. Period. They DON'T know what is a safe amount--they even admit that. so all I can do is believe my body over Them, now that I know I'm not just crazy-but AM affected by what I eat, and share this information with you. We can't always trust that in their big profit intent world of doing lunch and cell phones, We will always get timely accurate information. I mean, I had a Wonderful attentive doctor, and she couldn't even figure it out, one on one for 2 years! No, I'm through with all that. I will trust me, and people who have LIVED IT. Maybe it's time for Celiacs to start thinking outside that "THEY SAID" box. If we are going to make any progress on our own, we will HAVE to. Prayers to all, Stay Healthy!! Dove

VydorScope Proficient

Stardust,

If your reacting to somthing, it does not mean it has gluten in it. :) Many ppl on this site react to vingar, but its becasue they have a problem (and sounds like you do) with vingars and not gluten. Just like many Celiacs will react to MILK or NUTS or YEAST or some other food. It just a fact of life that many celiacs have more then one intolernce. My Son for example reacts to Eggs and Gluten.

Everyone wants to blame celiac disease for all thier reactions. Its only natural. Some times its a simple as CC other times its an unknown intolerence/alergy and sometimes its the flu. :)