This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Ma?

gfmelissa

gfmelissa Apprentice

hey-

I am moving to MA soon, and I hoping to find some gluten-free friends and get some advice about restaurants/grocery stores etc.

M

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luceydiana Explorer

Hello,

I'm in MA. Just north of Boston. Where will you be in MA? If you'll be around my area I'll certainly let you know where I do my shopping, etc.

Welcome to MA!!

Diana

francelajoie Explorer

Hi Melissa,

I'm North-West of Boston...where exactly are you moving? I have lots of suggestions for stores around here.

gfmelissa Apprentice

I am moving in a few weeks outside of cummington/northampton I think. ( I have found a job but not yet gone to get an apartment!) I have family south of boston, so I will probably be through there a lot. I would love to know places to shop, I am so used to being 2 minutes from whole foods that I am a bit nervous! Are there any active support groups in MA?

m

francelajoie Explorer

Thats pretty far West. I just moved here a little over a year ago so I guess I don't know that area all that well. I'm sure the Whole Foods website has its locations listed.

momandgirls Enthusiast

There's a Whole Foods in Hingham, Ma. Where south of Boston is your family?

MegGFBoston Rookie

Try Wild Oats and Trader Joes too! And I'm sure there are many health food stores inthe Northhampton area (there aren't many Wild Oats - but there are a few around Boston and they are quite good - much like Whole Foods)

Welcome to Boston - don't know where you are moving from but hope you like the cold!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momandgirls Enthusiast

The Super Stop and Shop in Hingham, MA was recently renovated and they, also, have a pretty good selection.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I'm on Cape Cod and I have to drive to Hingham to hit the Whole foods there. I agree most Stop and Shops in MA have a fairly good gluten-free section but Whole Foods beats them by a mile. I use am up in Hingham every week to 10 days and the shopping center that the Whole Foods is in (Derby Street Shops) is great! Its got a ton of good stores from Kohls to a full Crate and Barrel and some nice clothing botiques too and there is a Baja Fresh there and I've eaten there twice now and have not been glutened (you have to choose carefully and I go early before its got the lunch crowd).

Welcome to Ma!

Susan

momandgirls Enthusiast

I just thought of another one...there's a Good Health store in Hanover, MA. I haven't been there personally but they advertise that they carry a lot of gluten free products.

Pixiegirl - We're new to this diet so I never thought about Baja Fresh - what have you gotten there, if you don't mind me asking?

gfmelissa Apprentice

Thanks guys! And no I don't think I will deal that great iwth the snow---I'm from NC!

M

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Please keep in mind that they have flour tortila's there so you really have to tell them everything has to be corn. Last time I was there I had the chicken fajita plate with corn chips. I think you can also have the taco's with corn tortilla's. If you google baja fresh gluten free I think you will find some more gluten-free suggestions for them there are actually quite a few things that can be done gluten-free and so far I've never had a problem there, but again I suggest that you go before or after the lunch rush.

Susan

momandgirls Enthusiast

thanks pixiegirl - my daughter really liked Baja Fresh before going gluten free so it's nice to know that she can still eat there!

Moongirl Community Regular

Im about 15mins west of Boston....let me tell you, everywhere i turn here there is another supermarket that has gluten-free food. There are no shortage of that here :D

There is a support group, The healthyvilli, i believe their web site is www.healthyvilli.com I have been and they are really great, I think they had a couple hundred people there last time. And they even have a "class" for new Celiacs before the main meeting. Best part is they have a ton of food vendors at the end of the meeting you can go and sample the food!! yum!

Kristen2Denise Apprentice

Hi I live in Holyoke and go to school in Northampton. There's plenty of gluten free stuff around here. Lots of restaurants are pretty informed about celiac and gluten free. There is a natural food store called cornucopia right in downtown Noho but it's sort of pricey but there's Whole foods and trader joe's real close in Amherst. Let me know what other questions you have and what I can do to help!

kathy1 Contributor
I am moving in a few weeks outside of cummington/northampton I think. ( I have found a job but not yet gone to get an apartment!) I have family south of boston, so I will probably be through there a lot. I would love to know places to shop, I am so used to being 2 minutes from whole foods that I am a bit nervous! Are there any active support groups in MA?

m

I live in Adams ma which is about 1 hour northwest of Northampton. I love NH, there are sooo many shops right on Main st and they even stay open till 9pm or so on a saturday night. We go to our Favorite restaurant"Spilettos" on main st on new years eve and then hit the shops till 9pm when the close.

There is a Trader Joes and Wholefoods in Hadley Ma.They are on the same street and probably about 1/2 hour from northampton.

There is also a support group in Pittsfield ma.

Welcome!

Jen H Contributor

Hi Melissa,

I'm from Cape Cod and have found that Stop and Shop and Shaws have a lot of gluten-free foods. I buy bread from Whole Foods, but the closest one is in Hingham. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...
loraleena Contributor

Hi, I live in the Greenfield area just 15 min. north of Northhampton. I would love to chat about stuff. Let me know if you would like to e-mail me.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I'm in Mass too, the Market Basket I shop at is getting more gluten-free foods, the manager is great..he called me at home yesterday to let me know its safe to eat all their store brand fries, except the flavored ones.

• 1 month later...
powderprincess Rookie

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and in MA. Live near worcester, work closer to Boston.

francelajoie Explorer
Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and in MA. Live near worcester, work closer to Boston.

Hey "Powderprincess". I'm from Leominster. Just a heads up, we are trying to plan a dinner for the Celiacs in the area. It'll probably be mid June or so. Keep an eye on the new posts. We should start talking about it next week some time.

powderprincess Rookie
Hey "Powderprincess". I'm from Leominster. Just a heads up, we are trying to plan a dinner for the Celiacs in the area. It'll probably be mid June or so. Keep an eye on the new posts. We should start talking about it next week some time.

Neat! Thanks for the heads up. I am pretty much booked all June, but I would love to be in the loop just in case I can go. Go Central MA!

Moongirl Community Regular

I think there are a lot of us from MASS area. :D

powderprincess Rookie

I like your avatar moongirl!

• 2 weeks later...
ajay Newbie

OK, this cracks me up, because my first thought was "oh, it's a restaurant outing. Rats."

Glad to know there's a lot of folks in the area! I'm in Watertown, work in Boston.

Archived