3 replies to this topic

#1 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:55 PM

I have noticed that since going gluten free, I am much more sensitive to the sun and also to bug bites. I can be out in the sun just a very small amount of time and come away with a burn. I used to be able to stay out for hours!!

Also...when I get a bug bite it swells up and makes a LARGE welt. I have never had them swell to this size before.

I was just curious if anyone else had noticed themselves being more sensitive to the sun and bug bites since being gluten free.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:24 PM

The weather channel did a report on the sun the other day, saying it is 20 degrees higher in the sky than normal, so it is where it would normally be in July. Maybe that is the reason for burning easier. It only took 30 minutes in the sun for me to get a sunburn on my back that took 3 days to quit hurting (it was bright red) in April. I thought maybe it was the sun thing. I never thought of it being related to to being gluten-free. Bugs have always loved to bite me.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#3 Guest_Sibewill_*

Guest_Sibewill_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2004 - 09:43 AM

Hi all,
I was diagnosed about a year ago, but have been a little slow on the learning curve. I've finallyhad it with one thing... my reactions to mosquito bites seem to be getting more and more severe. Would this be somehow related to celiac disease? Is there any advice you can offer? The bumps last for about a week now, and sometimes swell up as if I was in an accident, with red dots within the bite area itself... help, please!
thanks,
Will S

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:17 AM

You can also become more sensitive to mosquito bites over time - without it being connected to the gluten (or lack thereof) in your diet. It's much like developing an allergy, though that's not to say it would ever become life threatening. I'm also HIGHLY sensitive to bug bites - with a mosquito bite swelling up to the diameter of my fist (though not that tall, of course! :-) ). You can try adding vit B to your diet, if you aren't already taking some, as that _can_ help, but other than that... bug spray, bug spray, and more bug spray. :-/
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: