This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mosquito Bites?

cgilsing

cgilsing Enthusiast

This might be totally off, but I know that there are a lot of things that we all have in common that we never would have guessed to be related!

I was just reading on another thread that one of our members was really prone to getting ate up by mosquitoes, and it's always been a problem for me too. I can be the only one at the party with OFF spray on and still be the only one that gets bit! Do any of you have the same experience? Just wondering!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep--long eyelashes and attractive to mosquitos :D Hey--maybe it's the eyelashes they're attracted to B)

Ursa Major Collaborator

Count me in on that. When my husband and I stand somewhere where there are mosquitoes, I'll say, "The mosquitoes are terrible, let's get out of here, I'm being eaten alive!" And he'll say, "What mosquitoes?" Because they all go for me and don't bother with him!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Yes! That's so weird. My ex used to tease me so bad - we'd be sitting outside and not one would come near him and I would be positively ate up by those buggers. And they would turn into giant red welts, not just your average little bite.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Hehehe.... that might have been my post. A few days into our honeymoon in Hawaii, and I stopped counting the mosquito bites when I hit 52 or 53. And I was using DEET!!! They swell up too - the smallest are the size of a quarter, the largest have gotten to be the diameter of a tennis ball (I kid you not), with Benadryl doing little to change the effect, and no other symptoms than the standard itching (and being tired from so many of them).

Ursa Major Collaborator

I now sort of think that mosquito bites in me might bring out the DH. The last one I got (in Mexico when on our cruise in January) turned into a patch of typical DH blisters, and I still have a large, bright red patch in that spot. Maybe the deposits under the skin we have (whatever they are called, I don't remember) cause that awful reaction?

I also get what looks like mosquito bites (and sometimes like flea bites) in the winter! I just read in Dr. Green's book a story by a woman who was diagnosed with DH and celiac disease at the age of 79, who would get unexplained 'mosquito bites' and 'flea bites' all her life, and now knows that it was DH all along.

So, some with me are mosquito bites (in the summer), and I have a much worse reaction and worse itching from them than anyone I know, and in the winter they're just plain DH. And what I always thought were flea bites couldn't have been, because we have no pets, and I was the only one getting them! I could never figure it out, but would get soooooooooooo paranoid!

francelajoie Explorer

I eat a couple oranges or grapefruits before I go outside. The citrus in the blood keeps them away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

I bet it's not celiac. Since most of us celiacs are of northern european descent, I would guess that it's our pale-a$$ skin they're drawn to. I've also read that they're more fond of some blood types and not others....

Lisa Mentor

We used to use Skin-So-Soft, by Avon to spray on the horses. Works well on me as well, but HAVE to shower before bed <_<

Haven't check whether it's gluten free yet. Thats a summer project.

Lollie Enthusiast

I get ate alive all summer! But then again, I do live in Texas......everything bites you down here! But I do get bit more then everybody else-other then my little girl-they eat her like candy too!

Lollie

Nickie Newbie

Not so sure about that one. I hardly ever get a mosquito bite even when camping. My family gets upset with me. For some reason they hate me.

mamaw Community Regular

I don't know if there is a connection but I do know that if you take vit B-1 it will keep the pesty bugs at bay and eating up someone other than yourslf. When we were on our dream vacation to Alaska this past summer we hit several places in the Yukon that were horrible.I started the vit B-1 before I left home and my brother just laughed at me but when he looked like a big mass of swollen bites everywhere including what was covered up: he became a believer. He itched like a madman for days. He was afraid to pee because the little rascals would just attack him with no mercy.Of course back home we had alot of fun with that one.He told everyone he didn't get many bites on his fishing pole but got a hit every second on his private pole.......and it wasn't enjoyable either!!!

mamaw

Moongirl Community Regular

I dont fit ur typical light skinned with the family background being irish/english/european Celiac. My family is from the middle east, and i have olive skin, i have the green eyes however, and the longggg lashes, and of course the mosquitos LOVE me! I always used to get teased that I had sweet blood thats why they liked me. I used to come home sometimes with sneakers and shoes on from taking a walk, and would have bites on the bottom of my foot! :blink:

I don't know if there is a connection but I do know that if you take vit B-1 it will keep the pesty bugs at bay and eating up someone other than yourslf.

the b-vits don't work for me. I take them, regularly, but it doesn't keep me from getting bitten.

dlp252 Apprentice

Fortunately they don't seem to be much of a problem where I live, work and hang out, but I do get bit frequently when I go into areas where they are more active.

Rusla Enthusiast

In my family my son, myself and his two children are a mosquitos buffet. In Jamaica, I was the only one of 18 people who not only was bit but sustained bites on from my feet, covering my legs and arms. I had a base tan before I went and others were more pale than I but I was pretty well the most bit person in the resort. That has been the way it is for me since childhood. I am so allergic to them and welt up badly. I am also allergic to fleas, wasps and other flying biting creatures. I do not have long eyelashes by the way. I am allergic to Skin so Soft and I do my own spray of Citronella, Catnip and Aloe vera which works on our mosquitoes and the Caribbean ones seem to be immune to standard repellents. My repellent worked except on the one day I forgot to use it, when I sustained all the bites.

mamaw Community Regular

Opps I forgot who said the vit. B's do not work for them,, sorry. Let me say that you need to take the straight vit B-1 by itself if you are getting the b-1 through the b-complex all together it is not enough.

I take the complex b vits in my multi vit & mi but I also do the b-1 by itself. And maybe it will not help some people but I never had anyone say it didn't work for them.Its just an easy way to get rid of those nasty buggers. I tried the skin-so-soft but I still got a few bites with that product.

Truly I think we get bit because we are so sweet...

mamaw

Guest Robbin

How much b-1 is in the supplemental? I am interested in trying that, as they eat me alive, also, Rusla do you have a recipe for the concoction you use? My son would use something like that sooner than take any extra vitamins, I think.

corinne Apprentice

I never seem to get bit by mosquitos even when my friends are suffering. Blackflies (hordes of them on them on the west coast of canada, not sure if they have them in the US outside Alaska) unfortunately love me. I got over 200 bites on my ankles in under 10 minutes and they are so much itchier than mosquitos.

nettiebeads Apprentice
I never seem to get bit by mosquitos even when my friends are suffering. Blackflies (hordes of them on them on the west coast of canada, not sure if they have them in the US outside Alaska) unfortunately love me. I got over 200 bites on my ankles in under 10 minutes and they are so much itchier than mosquitos.

Blackflies are something I sure don't miss from my years in upstate New York. I would swell immediatly - much worse than mosquitos.

jerseyangel Proficient
Blackflies are something I sure don't miss from my years in upstate New York. I would swell immediatly - much worse than mosquitos.

OMG--those blackflys were the worst! I grew up in Syracuse, and I remember when they came out, we'd have to run inside or get swarmed :angry:

Matilda Enthusiast

Opps I forgot who said the vit. B's do not work for them,, sorry. Let me say that you need to take the straight vit B-1 by itself if you are getting the b-1 through the b-complex all together it is not enough.

I take the complex b vits in my multi vit & mi but I also do the b-1 by itself. And maybe it will not help some people but I never had anyone say it didn't work for them.Its just an easy way to get rid of those nasty buggers. I tried the skin-so-soft but I still got a few bites with that product.

Truly I think we get bit because we are so sweet...

mamaw

I don't know... I don't think I really want to take more than 3,333% RDI for B1 in a day... (I'm not a fan of mega-dosing vitamins...) What dose have you been using?

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Tiffany & Robbin

I wish I could tell you more about the B-1 but Its winter here and I have the bottle in our fifth wheel and its in storage. I know years ago this was in Prevention Magazine plus several holistic docs also said its okay. I start taking it a few weeks before the skeeter season starts and I take only one extra a day. We used just about the whole bottle between the three of us when we traveled to ALaska last summer.Also my old medical doc told me to use it when my kids were young as my son would get so many he would swell up like a baseball on his head area.I usually took a weeks worth then I would miss a day here & there but my brother took them every day because he was itching and scratching everywhere. He laughed at me at first until he seen I wasn't getting attacked like he was,, so he became a believer fast and after a few days he did not get bit anymore either...

sorry I couldn't be more help with the Mg.

mamaw

Guest nini

I think because I use so much garlic in my cooking, the mosquitos don't like me. I'm the one NOT getting bit usually...

Archived