28 replies to this topic

#16 Rusla

Rusla

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

In my family my son, myself and his two children are a mosquitos buffet. In Jamaica, I was the only one of 18 people who not only was bit but sustained bites on from my feet, covering my legs and arms. I had a base tan before I went and others were more pale than I but I was pretty well the most bit person in the resort. That has been the way it is for me since childhood. I am so allergic to them and welt up badly. I am also allergic to fleas, wasps and other flying biting creatures. I do not have long eyelashes by the way. I am allergic to Skin so Soft and I do my own spray of Citronella, Catnip and Aloe vera which works on our mosquitoes and the Caribbean ones seem to be immune to standard repellents. My repellent worked except on the one day I forgot to use it, when I sustained all the bites.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:03 PM

Opps I forgot who said the vit. B's do not work for them,, sorry. Let me say that you need to take the straight vit B-1 by itself if you are getting the b-1 through the b-complex all together it is not enough.
I take the complex b vits in my multi vit & mi but I also do the b-1 by itself. And maybe it will not help some people but I never had anyone say it didn't work for them.Its just an easy way to get rid of those nasty buggers. I tried the skin-so-soft but I still got a few bites with that product.
Truly I think we get bit because we are so sweet...

mamaw

#18 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

How much b-1 is in the supplemental? I am interested in trying that, as they eat me alive, also, Rusla do you have a recipe for the concoction you use? My son would use something like that sooner than take any extra vitamins, I think.

#19 corinne

corinne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

I never seem to get bit by mosquitos even when my friends are suffering. Blackflies (hordes of them on them on the west coast of canada, not sure if they have them in the US outside Alaska) unfortunately love me. I got over 200 bites on my ankles in under 10 minutes and they are so much itchier than mosquitos.

#20 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:00 AM

I never seem to get bit by mosquitos even when my friends are suffering. Blackflies (hordes of them on them on the west coast of canada, not sure if they have them in the US outside Alaska) unfortunately love me. I got over 200 bites on my ankles in under 10 minutes and they are so much itchier than mosquitos.

Blackflies are something I sure don't miss from my years in upstate New York. I would swell immediatly - much worse than mosquitos.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#21 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:16 AM

Blackflies are something I sure don't miss from my years in upstate New York. I would swell immediatly - much worse than mosquitos.

OMG--those blackflys were the worst! I grew up in Syracuse, and I remember when they came out, we'd have to run inside or get swarmed :angry:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#22 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:59 PM

#23 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:31 PM

Opps I forgot who said the vit. B's do not work for them,, sorry. Let me say that you need to take the straight vit B-1 by itself if you are getting the b-1 through the b-complex all together it is not enough.
I take the complex b vits in my multi vit & mi but I also do the b-1 by itself. And maybe it will not help some people but I never had anyone say it didn't work for them.Its just an easy way to get rid of those nasty buggers. I tried the skin-so-soft but I still got a few bites with that product.
Truly I think we get bit because we are so sweet...

mamaw

I don't know... I don't think I really want to take more than 3,333% RDI for B1 in a day... (I'm not a fan of mega-dosing vitamins...) What dose have you been using?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#24 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

Hi Tiffany & Robbin

I wish I could tell you more about the B-1 but Its winter here and I have the bottle in our fifth wheel and its in storage. I know years ago this was in Prevention Magazine plus several holistic docs also said its okay. I start taking it a few weeks before the skeeter season starts and I take only one extra a day. We used just about the whole bottle between the three of us when we traveled to ALaska last summer.Also my old medical doc told me to use it when my kids were young as my son would get so many he would swell up like a baseball on his head area.I usually took a weeks worth then I would miss a day here & there but my brother took them every day because he was itching and scratching everywhere. He laughed at me at first until he seen I wasn't getting attacked like he was,, so he became a believer fast and after a few days he did not get bit anymore either...
sorry I couldn't be more help with the Mg.

mamaw

#25 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

I think because I use so much garlic in my cooking, the mosquitos don't like me. I'm the one NOT getting bit usually...

#26 helixwnc

helixwnc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

They eat me alive and swell to huge proportions. When I went on my honeymoon, people thought I had some skin disease. I am O negative, btw. I will try the B1 Vitamin this summer and see what happens.

#27 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:42 PM

I don't think it is the garlic, I use copious amounts of garlic in everything I cook and still get gobbled up.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#28 jeannie

jeannie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

I am always eaten up by mosquitoes. I could be surrounded by ten people, and I would be the only one bitten, same with fleas. Unfortunately, I live on a farm in rice country. After my kidney transplant, my dr. recommended that I not be bitten (compromised immune system). The West Nile Virus is always a worry.

#29 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

I don't think it is the garlic, I use copious amounts of garlic in everything I cook and still get gobbled up.

Same here. I love garlic and mosquitoes love me.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: