This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Cope With Multiple Food Intolerances?

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

I've been GFDF since my biopsy on Jan 10 this year. I've done the York test as I suspected various other foods were giving me problems. The list they came back with is enormous! :o apart from gluten and dairy there's: pork, carrot, broccoli, cauilflower, cabbage, potato, beans, cucumber, asaparagus, peppers, onion, peas, soy, spinach, aubergine, celery, lentils, lettuce, coconut, walnut, cherry, melon, peach, plum, cranberry, kiwi, lime, banana, blackberry, strawberry, tomato, chilli, various herbs and spices,yeast and tea.

I've done fairly well at excluding most of these, but I'm still struggling to know what veggies I can eat. The veggies that I'm left with all seem incredibly sweet (mostly squashes). Since eliminating almost all processed food, I'm finding that I don't want loads of sweet stuff. Also, what green veggies can I have? I'm having 'safe' vitamins and minerals but is that enough to make up for what I'm missing?

I'm also aching loads still - far more than before I started this restricted diet - so I presume it's some kind of detox.

Also, it feels like the only grains I'm eating are rice and corn and I'm getting sick of them - I'm happy to put up with getting bored to get better, but it concerns me that I'm having the same foods over and over because things are so limited.

help!!! feeling rather frustrated at the moment and wanting to know when I'll see progress...

One positive note is that since I've cut out tomatoes, I've had no mouth ulcers :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

That sucks!

I don't think kale and other dark greens are on your list. Maybe a kale salad with dressing would taste ok. I don't really have any other food advice for you.

My only positive thought when reading this is that you know what you are allergic to. I have never heard of the york test. My doctor said there is no way to test to see what foods you are allergic to (I'm now thinking he isn't right). Every day I try to cut out things that I think may be bothering me, but I have no idea at this point and I keep feeling bad, but not like gluten feeling bad. At least you know what to avoid and you will start feeling better. I'm several steps behind you in the process.

It is frustrating and it is ok to be mad. You will work through that and move on. I'm sure you will find foods that you like to eat, but it won't be easy and it will take time.

Good luck!

kabowman Explorer

I see beans on your list - I cannot have beans either - but - I can have green beans. Have you tried any of these to see if you body actually does react to them? Also, there are all different kinds of lettuce so maybe you can experiment and see if you can have some but not others? Another good note - you didn't lose garlic! I do avoid all vinegar products and ripe fruit (except avacado doesn't seem to bother me) due to yeast intolerance.

It took months before all my aches and pains disapeared.

After a few months of being bored and eating the same foods to the point where you know you feel better, you start expanding on what you can eat and, while other people may think that I have a very limited diet, I am perfectly happy. I enjoy my treats - mostly from Enjoy Life products...I even sent them a note to see if they would consider looking into making yeast, gluten, corn, soy, etc. free bagels and breads. They sent a nice return note, thanking me for my input etc.

Also, I like the Chebe mixes and from you list, you can use those too - I found on their Web site that they now have a foccia bread mix that I am anxiously awaiting to show up on my local alternative food store shelves!

It gets so much better.

trents Grand Master

Was the York test done before or after going gluten-free? I wonder what our allergy tests would show before and after going gluten-free and if the healing in the mucosa would make a difference, i.e., not so many large molecules of incompletely digested food leaking into the blood stream.

What a grocery list you have there and what a nightmare to sort out! Maybe you should consider having another type of food allelrgy/sensitivity test done so you would have something to compare the York test to. It's almost hard to believe one person could be allergic/sensitive to all those foods.

I'm hoping someone will come up with a pill specific to each food allergy to turn the immune system "off" to those specific false reactions to what really aren't threats to our bodies. Wouldn't that be nice?

darlindeb25 Collaborator

It's not easy being the celiac who can't tolerate other things too. I am beginning to think that there are different levels of celiac disease too. Maybe the general group of celiacs only have to give up wheat, rye, and barley. Oats always made me ill, before I knew about gluten--I now cant have corn or soy flour--I can still handle margarine as long as it is a mix--not all soy--but am thinking about giving it up too. I can't tolerate tomato at all anymore in any form. I found that tapioca starch made me ill a few weeks ago. I no longer eat any red meat. It's not easy, but then nothing has ever been easy for me, so it's no big change huh. ;) Deb

aaascr Apprentice

I so relate - I am allergic to over 20 foods too...

When I found out I had celiac, my 1st question

was - what the hxxx can I eat?

I understand too, about being overwhelmed especially

the first few times grocery shopping. I would shop with

a list, actually a notebook (things I could and things I couldn't)

and when I just couldn't

read another label I would go and check out. No sense in losing

your sanity in the store. Eventually, it got easier as I got to know

what I should not even bother looking at.

I eat salads, there are a variety of dark leafy's out there

(usually have avocado and hemp seeds in the salad)

every day along with my own veggie-protein concocted "burger" mix

(quinoa, rice bran, flax seed meal, mushrooms, etc.).

I also eat either rice (rice pasta), potatoes, or quinoa

with a variety of self made sauces, seasonings and the few

veggies I can eat. I know that Ancient Harvest makes a corn/quinoa

pasta (I can't have corn so I don't know how it tastes).

I didn't see apples on your list so there may be

more substitutes available as apples are used as a sweetener very

often in "alternative foods".

As for hanging with my friends whenever we go out - I bring my

own food and let the server know - that I have so many food

allergies that I would make their day miserable trying to get me

something that I can eat. So to allow everyone to have a good

time - I've brought my own food, it's worked everytime so far.

Hang in there it will get better!

marciab Enthusiast

I've been at this 7 months now and it gets easier. I had a really hard time in the beginning too. I had to give up gluten, meats, leafy greens, and anything acidic in addition to the normal food sensitivities. But, my digestion is normal now and I wouldn't go back for anything. No "D" or C" or pains. A little gas, but Beano usually takes care of it. I use EVOO and Flax for regularity.

Your taste buds will change and you'll find that the foods you used to like don't appeal to you anymore. I can honestly say I crave the foods I am allowed to eat now.

I took a look at your list and didn't see okra or brussel sprouts. Have you tried grains like millet, quinoa, buckwheat groats, amaranth and brown rice ? I didn't like them at first, esp the quinoa, but I look forward to them now. Sweet potatoes have a lot of nutrients in them. And sprouts are easy to grow and are a great source of nutrients. And they are supposed to be easier to digest. I like red lentil, mung, adzuki and the occasional alfafa.

Hope this helps. Hang in there. Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Claire Collaborator

I have lived with multiple food intolerances for 15 years. I will soon be posting some tips for the 'intolerant' folk on this forum.

I am a bit rushed tonight but very quickly - no matter what lab does the testing you will have false positives.

I certainly did. Here is where the elimination idea works. Your tests give you a baseline. You will know some of the foods by previous experience. If there are foods on the list that are not consciously bothering you - you put those foods to the test. Eliminate for a week or more. Then reintroduce in substantial quantity. Do this daily for two or three days. If you are reactive you will know it - usually sooner rather than later. Keep that food if it passes the test. If it doesn't then eliminate it and wait five days to a week to test the next food.

I am quite sure you will have false positives in the list

York Labs states that they have the best record for the number of false positives which is in itself an admission that false positives are an issue with these tests. Claire

Guest ladyaset

Hi,

I am new here, but I can relate to your allergies and intolerances. Everytime I get tested, I show up alleric to even more. I can completely relate. I can't offer advice as I am still figuring out what to eat for myself too, but I sure hope it gets easier.

I too am celiac, now can not have dairy, no legumes, asparagus, kiwi, nuts, bananas, melons, and I'm sure there is ones I'm missing. I've had to keep a log on the computer of foods I've reacted to after I've eaten them.

Right now I'm going as natural as possible. I do not use any processed pan spray, I use olive oil. Back to basics it seems where we have to start.

Heather

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have to agree with Claire, when I was tested for reactions preGF I was allergic to everything they tested for environmental and food. That was when the allergist started to strongly suspect celiac. Your immune system is in overdrive. After you have been gluten-free for a while and are feeling better reintroduce items slowly, the only thing I have proved to have a lasting reaction to is the nightshades, potatoes :o ,my favorite food, tomatoes and peppers in any form. Also there is life without grains, I strongly restrict all grains, only eat them once or twice a week, for me that has finally done away with all gas. I get to eat all the broccoli I want without my little dog giving me dirty looks for passing gas, who knew that could offend a dog!

covsooze Enthusiast

Thanks so much for all your encouragement. I think I need a trip to the supermarket sans toddler ;) to check out all the possible alternatives.

After you have been gluten-free for a while and are feeling better reintroduce items slowly, the only thing I have proved to have a lasting reaction to is the nightshades, potatoes :o ,my favorite food, tomatoes and peppers in any form.

That's what I am panning to do, but I'm feeling so rubbish at the moment, I can't believe all this eliminating stuff is actually going to help. Well, that's not exactly accurate, my GI symptoms are getting better, but I'm so exhausted and achey all the time, and there's only so much extra sleep you can take when you're a working mum. I'm v close to asking the dr to signing me off sick. I'm waiting for the results of bloods, so maybe my anemia and/or underactive thyroid could be playing up again.

Ravenwoodglass, nightshades are really bad for me too. Giving up potatoes really sucks, doesn't it :angry::( I could just about cope without chocolate and cakes as comfort foods, but not being able to have potatoes aaaagghh!!!

A question for those who know more about intolerances than I do. I'm intolerant to veggies like brocolli coz they give me really bad wind. Is there any problem with me eating just a little bit of it once in a while? what I'm getting at is, is the only problem the bad wind or would I be doing damage/ preventing my body from healing?

marciab Enthusiast

Raw brocolli kills me, but slightly cooked 1 or 2 min in micro, I can do. Try Beano tablets before eating. It is a natuaral digestive enzyme, gluten-free and soy free. I called and they told me that it has fish lecithin instead of soy. Cool ...

I have tried weaning myself from the Beano, but I'm not ready quite yet. The gas-x softgels were recommended on this site too. THey both work well.

As for permanent damage, I don't know of any. I know my abdomen is not bloated or in pain all the time anymore. That has to be good for it.

Take care Marcia

kabowman Explorer

Brocolli is a gaseous food. Even people without food problems often get gas (bad gas) when they eat brocolli. I eat it, not during lunch so I have problems at the office all afternoon but in the evenings when my family doesn't mind a little (or a lot) tooting.

penguin Community Regular

It's the high-fiber, leafy greenness that causes the gas. Cabbage and other strong cell-walled veggies will do it to you too! You get the loud poots with veggies, not the silent-but-deadlies :ph34r:

Claire Collaborator

Food intolerances as well as gluten get a raw deal. As bad as these may be they are not singularly responsible for everything. There are many foods that are tough to digest - for almost everyone. Broccoli is one of them. While some foods bother a lot of people there are some that bother only a few. This is not a serious problem, not a bona fide intolerance - just a message from your body they it would prefer you eat something else or prepare the food in a manner that makes it more acceptable - example, I can eat raw cabbage but cooked cabbage doesn't set well at all. Claire

Archived