This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Know If Tatoo Ink Is Gluten Free ?

rlemmon

rlemmon Apprentice

I am thinking abnout getting one. Anyone know if the is gluten in the ink ? I googled it but nothing came up.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Unless you're allergic to wheat on your skin (ie: allergist skin scratch testing), it shouldn't matter.

When you get a tattoo, the metal-based ink goes between the layers of skin and stays there. Even if the ink did have gluten, and somehow made it into your bloodstream, you shouldn't have any ill effects. Gluten actually has to be ingested for a celiac to have a gluten reaction (I know there are people that have other reactions to gluten on their skin or wherever, but to have a celiac reaction, you have to ingest it. It has to get to your intestines)

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I know a lot about tattoos because when I was 13, I worked in a tattoo shop everyday afterschool, babysitting the owner's son. It was a strange work situation, but I learned A LOT about tatooing and piercing. I got my own tattoo from that same lady when I was 17. Here are things to look for:

-Make sure they use an autoclave to sterilize the tattoo guns and other metal equipment. They should never reuse needles, make sure you see new, sterile ones come out of the package.

-Ask to see photos of the artist's work, and make sure they are licensed and experienced. Often, they will have done tattoos on themselves or others in the shop, ask to see these. If the tattoo was done poorly, (ie: too deep or too shallow) time will show that. Tats that are lighter in color than they should be were too shallow, ones in which the color bleeds (ie: starts looking fuzzy and like a bruise) the color was too deep. Ask for reccomendations, and look them up at the better business bureau.

-Don't make a rash decision, this will be on your body FOREVER! Also, tats require mantinence to stay looking good! Sun will damage the look of a tattoo, so always use sunscreen, at least on your tattoo (though you should everywhere). You will probably need to have the tat touched up, because time and sun tend to fade tattoos, in 5-10 years.

-Tats near bones (like ankle or hip) hurt the most to have done. On the back also hurts a lot, because you have major nerves under the skin. Obviously sensitive places like the inside of your elbow or the inside of your list hurt a lot as well. Outlining in black hurts more than filling in with color, though it's not that bad. Never drink or take asprin or ibuprofin before getting a tat, shops can't legally ink you if you've been drinking, and both alcohol and asprin and ibuprofin will make you bleed more. Not to mention being chemically altered before permanantly altering your body is stupid. Tylenol 30 mins to an hour before getting your tattoo will help it not hurt as much and will not make you bleed more.

-Different shops say different things about aftercare, but in the shop I worked in you bandage it for a few hours and keep it moist with triple antibiotic ointment (none of those expensive aftercare lotions at the shop). It's important to keep your healing tattoo from drying out, because it can make the color uneven and gross looking.

-Finally, women who plan on ever having kids should not get tats on their hip or anywhere on their stomach or lower breast. Cute as the butterfly on your hip may be at 22, once you have kids it's going to turn into a technicolor bruise.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Guest nini

hubby that has 47 tats, says that tattoo ink is just pigment usually chemically engineered to be closest to properties of skin pigment, and that there is no reason for gluten to be in it. That it is more chemical than anything.

I have a huge dragon tat on my back that wasn't done that well and is starting to look bad... I've been considering having it redone.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

It's good to know that it's safe. I have toyed with the idea for a few years now of getting a Claddagh ring tatooed around my ankle.... or perhaps on the small of my back. But I keep chickening out.......

I'm such a wuss........ <_<

Hugs.

Karen

jerseyangel Proficient

Ha Karen--me too--I would be petrified to get a tatoo! But then again, I scare easily :ph34r:

Rusla Enthusiast

I have drawn up an ice dragon holding a pent that I want to have done on my leg but that would hurt too much. So I may have it done on my hip when I shrink more.

pinkpei77 Contributor

my fiance is a tattoo artist and said he doesnt see how they could have any gluten in them and the general public wont be able to get ingriedient lists from companies but he can because hes liscensed so hes going to work on finding out.

but like someone else said it wouldnt be digested anyways,

and for those of you thinking about it.. just do it!!!

im completly sleeved and have my feet , calves , chest and back done and they were all completly worth it.

you feel so amazing once youve done it!

and as far as pain goes , i dont think they hurt at all.. just some are more annoying.. sort of like a little sunburn.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Mine is a tribal swirly design thingy with a blue butterfly over it on the small of my back. It's clearly an "I was 17" tattoo, and I think I would hate it if I didn't need whiplash and a full length mirror to see it :P

Still looks good, never sees sunlight, and the artist was fantastic! :D

kabowman Explorer

I love mine (3) and just had a large tribal with feathers done on my hip (I am done with kids). My next will be on my lower back and I think I have gotten my husband of 5 years finally interested in getting his own.

Lollie Enthusiast

I love mine! I got it over 10 years ago but it still looks great! I have a birth mark on my hip. So I had a sunflower designed, that used the birth mark as it's center! I love it still! I'm considering getting another on the small of my back to represent life and as an honor to my dad that died last Sept.....

Good luck all!

Lollie

lorka150 Collaborator

funny that this came up. i have wanted a tattoo for awhile, and after loving one design for awhile now, i am set on my decision. i was going to look into the gluten-thing, but i'm glad it will be safe.

yay!

Guest nini

the one that I want to get in the small of my back is the symbol of the "healing hand" which is a hand with a swirl in the middle, surrounded by a tribal sun design... now I just have to come up with the money!

gabrielle Contributor

I have a Celtic cross on the small of my back- I like it, but I got it when I was 18 and trying to rebel...ChelsE is right, make sure you really like what you are putting on yourself since it will be there forever!!

ChelsE I wanted to ask you a question... my boyfriend has a tattoo and sometimes it gets raised/ puffy and itchy. He's had it for like 6 years- isn't that kind of odd??? Hmm... I thought maybe because you had so much info about tattoos you might know why this happens. :blink: Thanks!!

lorka150 Collaborator
the one that I want to get in the small of my back is the symbol of the "healing hand" which is a hand with a swirl in the middle, surrounded by a tribal sun design... now I just have to come up with the money!

do you have a picture? i would love to see your idea :)

rlemmon Apprentice

Wow, Thanks so much for the info guys. Now all I have to do is bite the bullit B)

cgilsing Enthusiast

I have one, that I've had for about 7 years. It looks great! But sometimes, especially right after I shower, it gets a little puffed up and itches! Does anybody else have that happen? It seems to go away right away and has never caused any problems (and I have sensitive skin so I always attributed it to that), but it just seems unusal. Especially for a tatoo that I've had for 7 years!!

whitball Explorer
I am thinking abnout getting one. Anyone know if the is gluten in the ink ? I googled it but nothing came up.

thanks

Well, I didn't even consider that the ink would be gluten free or not. But I did get one 2 weeks ago. I'm 45 and my 18 year old son asked if we could get one together. Awesome bonding for us. It hurt a bit, but well worth it. Go for it!

Archived