This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breadmaker Machine Question

momandgirls

momandgirls Enthusiast

Hi - I would like to get a breadmaker. If it's used to make gluten free bread, I'm assuming it CANNOT be used to make gluten containing bread. Would this be right? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I have a related question--sort of the reverse--Can a bread machine that has been used for wheat bread not more than about 6 times be used for gluten-free breads? Momandgirls--sorry I didn't have an answer for you--I think one answer will work for both of us :D

VydorScope Proficient

IMO:

I would say NO do not use it to ever make gluten bread, your playing russian rolluletet with 5 bullets in the gun if you do.

And for NJGirl... yes you could, IF you can get it completely clean, every crumb, every spec of flour/etc.

jerseyangel Proficient
And for NJGirl... yes you could, IF you can get it completely clean, every crumb, every spec of flour/etc.

Thank you, sir :)

mammabear Newbie

:D hi everyone...im new at all of this and so far ive noticed that this forum is really going to help!!!

i recently bought a bread machine that has recipies and a gluten free setting, but have yet to find a recipe that tastes good. i think that i have a intollerance to rice flour and all the recipies call for it...does anyone have a recipie for bread machines that dont use rice flour??? and that also taste good??? also i was told that if i want to make bread containing gluten for the rest of the family that i could buy another basked and paddle...is this info correct???

thank you to anyone who has any info for me... ;)

jaten Enthusiast

Welcome MamaBear! I'm pretty new here, too, and you're right, this forum provides a wealth of information!

i think that i have a intollerance to rice flour and all the recipies call for it...does anyone have a recipie for bread machines that dont use rice flour??? and that also taste good???

Just a suggestion, but you may want to post that question in a topic of its own rather than under the heading "Bread Machine Question." There are lots of great cooks here, and if they see that question, I bet you get some great help.

If you have a separate basket and paddles could you make gluten bread??? Hmmm, you'll probably get different views on that. I would say no, but then I don't have any gluten in my house; home is the one place that is always safe. (It's just me and my very supportive husband. A gluten-free household may not work for some families) Cross-contamination is a problem for a lot of (all-??) Celiacs. As a bread machine mixes, the flour would have to get "tossed" up inside the lid and above the basket, etc. I personally wouldn't risk it, but that's me.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

Mamabear! take a look at the Bob's Red Mill Mix It might have rice in it, its the most wonderful bread mix and I have the same machiene you do and it works great, check to see if it has rice though! that has to be difficult but Ill keep a look out for you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

4getgluten Rookie

Mammabear - you may want to try Anna's bread mixes. Their mixes make great gluten-free bread. I make it all the time in my bread machine. I just checked their website, and they do have a mix that is rice-free. Open Original Shared Link

lorka150 Collaborator

It takes awhile, but eventually you can perfect your recipes. After about four tries, I nailed bread in the machine. I have a Black and Decker.

They just came out with a Cuisinart one, that acutally has a gluten free setting.

mammabear Newbie
:D ... thank you everyone...ill have to do some more homework. if anyone is thinking about getting a bread maker, just last week i got the new cuisinart machine that has a gluten free setting and it is really nice and easy to work with...i recommend it!!!
purpleJennie Newbie
Hi - I would like to get a breadmaker. If it's used to make gluten free bread, I'm assuming it CANNOT be used to make gluten containing bread. Would this be right? Thanks!

I recently purchased the new Cuisinart Bread Machine. It has a special setting for "Gluten Free" as well as "Low Carb". I made one of the recipes and the bread weighs about 12 lbs. Tastes like a brick. I think I forgot to warm the milk before putting it in. Otherwise, it has a nice recipe book, but it asks for many different flours and a lot of cornstarch (which I could taste). What's the secret for making gluten-free bread??? ;)

skinnyminny Enthusiast
I recently purchased the new Cuisinart Bread Machine. It has a special setting for "Gluten Free" as well as "Low Carb". I made one of the recipes and the bread weighs about 12 lbs. Tastes like a brick. I think I forgot to warm the milk before putting it in. Otherwise, it has a nice recipe book, but it asks for many different flours and a lot of cornstarch (which I could taste). What's the secret for making gluten-free bread??? ;)

I have this machine. I use the bob's red mill most Wonderful sandwhich bread mix or the gluten free Pantry favorite sandwhich bread mix, It takes alot of other flours to make other bread and All you add the each mix is oil, eggs, vinger and milk, it is great bread to I can give it lots of praise! the mix cost about 5 dollars but by the time you buy the other flours and the convience of the mix I think it is worth it!

key Contributor

Mammabear,

Breads by Anna are great and easy in the bread machine. I do put my yeast in warm water first. This just works better and the bread is lighter, etc. I don't believe this is the way it says to do it.

Gluten free Pantry mix is great too.

I have never made bread from scratch in my bread machine. THe mixes work great for me and don't take up as much room.

I don't know if I would use a bread machine that has been used for gluten containing breads. ONly reason I say that is my bread machine has some little cracks that I can't get clean and there is very small amount of bread remains in there and the little mixer piece is hard to get really clean. I guess if you dishwashed them it might get them 100% clean and if it hadn't been used for a very long time for gluten containing breads.

Monica

Archived