Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free/soy/dairy Free/ Mayonnaise

37 posts in this topic

Hi all you experts.

think i figured out why i got so sick for the past 2 days.

I don't eat much mayonnaise but LOVE IT IN MY TUNA. Saw today that the first ingredient in Hellmann's was soybean oil I hadn't noticed it before? Has it always been the first ingred?

I've been eating it since i started the gluten-free diet but lately noticing after i eat the tuna I feel neasous and then bleching. I tried some from TJ don't know if it was soy free but i'd rather eat it dry than put that in it.

Any ideas will help.

saw on a earlier post that claire was gluten-free,soy,dairy free. What do you use Claire?

Judy in Philly

Ads by Google:

Judy - yes, sadly, soybean oil has always been in mayo. Until now!! :D You'll be happy to know that Hellmann's has a canola mayo out, I've got it right here - it's very good too. Ingredients are canola oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar,lemon juice, natrual flavors, calcium disdium edta (used to protect quality).

I spoke to the makers of Helleman's and they confirmed to me that it is gluten-free.

Judy - yes, sadly, soybean oil has always been in mayo. Until now!! :D You'll be happy to know that Hellmann's has a canola mayo out, I've got it right here - it's very good too. Ingredients are canola oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar,lemon juice, natrual flavors, calcium disdium edta (used to protect quality).

You guys are amazing. :):):)

thanks soooo much

Will pitch my tuna from 2 days ago. I'm even getting over--the can't pitch it out--can't waste food :lol::lol:

Better in the trash can if hubby won't eat it...he doesn't like eggs in it.

I've started adding, finely diced red onion or galla sweet onions, celery, chopped egg for the first serving. The next day, I add some rice noodles that are left overs or maybe some rice and put on a pile of lettuce.

I try to make sure i have some hard boiled eggs and this tuna in the frig esp on swimming days so when i come in it's a no brainer to 'grab and eat' as i'm usually starving.

Thanks again, you guys.

just too tired to do a search on here. Thanks for letting me be lazy today.

Judy in Philly

Hi, Judy--Another option is Spectrum's Canola Oil Mayo. It's gluten-free, DF, and soy-free, as I avoid these things, too. It even says gluten free on the label. I use it all the time, as I love my tuna fish and egg salad!

Hey, anybody out there who knows of a mayonnaise without soy, gluten, dairy, egg, vinegar, spices and is made with cold pressed sunflower oil? :blink: Just kidding, but I REALLY miss mayonnaise! I've stopped eating tuna, as it doesn't seem worth eating without mayo. Oh well, such is life. :(

But I am glad for you, Judy, it will be so nice for you to feel better and be able to eat your tuna salad, too!

Spectrum's Canola Mayo is pretty good - Casen, dairy, gluten, soy free. I make my own from the SCD recipe. That one is doable for tuna.

Does anyone know if Smart Balance mayo is gluten-free? I bought some w/o thinking.

Thanks.

- Lauren

Hey, anybody out there who knows of a mayonnaise without soy, gluten, dairy, egg, vinegar, spices and is made with cold pressed sunflower oil? :blink: Just kidding, but I REALLY miss mayonnaise! I've stopped eating tuna, as it doesn't seem worth eating without mayo. Oh well, such is life. :(

But I am glad for you, Judy, it will be so nice for you to feel better and be able to eat your tuna salad, too!

I'll let you know how it tastes :lol:

judy

:lol::lol::lol: Judy, when you get a chance, check your email!! I just sent you one and it had to do with the mayonnaise. I hadn't checked on here yet.

I wonder if you could make your own? Can you use any of the egg-beaters or replacers? Mayo is just eggs and oil whipped together. If you have an egg replacement, you could experiment from recipes. Maybe?

I wonder if you could make your own? Can you use any of the egg-beaters or replacers? Mayo is just eggs and oil whipped together. If you have an egg replacement, you could experiment from recipes. Maybe?

I think so of the cooking gluten-free cookbooks have some.

i'll ck for you

never thought of making my own :ph34r:

I wouldn't want to use raw eggs guess you have to cook it :blink:

Lord, another thing for this 'non cook' to cook.

Judy

I was thinking about making my own too because I miss it. I've been avoiding it because of the vinegar. maybe I'll give it a shot again and if it doesn't go well, I'll make my own.

Go judy! have some good tuna salad and feel better. :)

My husband is gluten, dairy and soy free also and I buy him the Helmans Canola Mayo and he really likes it. My question is what kind of Tuna are you buying if your avoiding soy. Every brand I picked up at the grocery store (Publix and Wal Mart) have soy in them. I'm hoping you have found a brand that doesn't use soy because my husband is really missing his tuna salad but he is enjoying egg salad since I found the Canola mayo.

Jennifer

The only tuna I have found that is gluten-free and soy free is Whole Foods' brand. They have a few varieties, and I buy the solid white albacore. The downside is that it's $1.50 a can, but it's worth it to have soy free tuna. It's packaged only in spring water, which is nice.

I get Trader Joes spring water Tuna with out salt.

There is not soy listed. only Albacore, spring water and that's it.

NOW that's if they haven't changed it.

They have been doing alot of that. Are you by a Trader Joes? I can send the website to ck locations link if you want. I'll also ck my tuna can.

Judy in Philly

I've also found Polar brand - just tuna, water and salt.

I just got a new cookbook over the weekend - allergy free - and it had a mayo receipe with no vinegar and, "I think," no eggs. I will check and let you know. There was also a "mock" sour cream in there too that I am dying to try.

For my mayo, I use a passover mayo with citric acid instead of vinegar.

Anyone ever heard of Vegaise? I am not sure if it is gluten free but I think it might be... I know it is dairy free. I will check next time I go to the store

I just bought the Hellmann's canola mayo and the ingredients are so different in the Canadian version. Water, canola oil, modified corn starch, liquid yolk, vinegar, sugar, salt, spices (contains soybean oil), xanthan gum, sorbic acid, phosphoric acid, citric acid, concentrated lemon juice, colour, calcium disodium EDTA, and sulphites. After reading that long ingredient list, I think I am going to return it. The Canadian website says that they will list gluten.

I just bought the Hellmann's canola mayo and the ingredients are so different in the Canadian version. Water, canola oil, modified corn starch, liquid yolk, vinegar, sugar, salt, spices (contains soybean oil), xanthan gum, sorbic acid, phosphoric acid, citric acid, concentrated lemon juice, colour, calcium disodium EDTA, and sulphites. After reading that long ingredient list, I think I am going to return it. The Canadian website says that they will list gluten.

There's the old crap ---SOYBEAN OIL--was it listed on the label with the 'spices'?????? know if would have seen that if listed but since it was said here if didn't have soy just got it.

I haven't opened mine yet and will call them tomorrow.

oh, guess i ck website now.

I don't think mine said spices but I was still 'spinning' when i got home from 'label reading.

Thanks for letting me know.

also the Sharon's sorbet cocconut has soy in it...... :ph34r:

will post that on the 'sorbet site.

what would be do without each other.

:huh: Judy

I TOTALLY MADE MY OWN MAYO TODAY!!!

okay, sorry for that outburst, but it was very exciting!

i used the recipe from Michael Cox's "Gluten-Free" cookbook (which is *THE ONE* to get if you're a foodie and not just looking for bobo versions of gluten-y foods):

-------------------------------------------------

MAYONNAISE

1 egg yolk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon gluten-free Dijon mustard

1 cup oil (light olive or vegetable oil)

juice of 1 small lemon

makes 1 cup

[whisking instructions]

Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature before making the mayonnaise. Combine the egg yolk, salt, and mustard in a bowl and whisk the mixture thoroughly. Add the oil - to begin with, add a drop at a time, then slowly increase the flow, whisking the mixture continuously until all the oil is fully incorporated. (Avoid using virgin olive oil - this has too strong a flavor for mayonnaise.) Add the lemon juice and more salt if necessary. If the mixture is too thick, add a little warm water, mixing well.

[food processor instructions]

Mayonnaise can be made easily if using a food processor - place 1 egg yolk and 1 whole egg in the processor with the salt, mustard, lemon juice and half of the oil. Blend together and, with the machine still running, add the remaining oil in a steady stream. Adjust the seasoning to taste.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

i used the whisking method - the whisking is a bit strenuous, but all told it only takes a few minutes. i used safflower oil and eden organic brown mustard (made with apple cider vinegar - i don't take chances with vinegar!), and it turned out perfect and delicious. i made chicken salad and still have plenty of mayo left. i have to say, this was a very satisfying and lightning quick project. it's quite a transformation from oil and egg to mayo. i'm still nerding out over this one.

:)

paula

paula

I'm so happy for you. congratulations

I guess you don't cook this????? Is anyone cocerned about samonanela (?) or am I old fashioned about eating raw egg...I'm new at this cooking thing.

Judy

There's the old crap ---SOYBEAN OIL--was it listed on the label with the 'spices'?????? know if would have seen that if listed but since it was said here if didn't have soy just got it.

I haven't opened mine yet and will call them tomorrow.

oh, guess i ck website now.

I don't think mine said spices but I was still 'spinning' when i got home from 'label reading.

Thanks for letting me know.

also the Sharon's sorbet cocconut has soy in it...... :ph34r:

will post that on the 'sorbet site.

what would be do without each other.

:huh: Judy

Remember I am in Canada so they may be completely different mayos. They are made in different plants. So yours might be okay. My Hellmann's up here is not soy free.