#1 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

Hi all you experts.
think i figured out why i got so sick for the past 2 days.
I don't eat much mayonnaise but LOVE IT IN MY TUNA. Saw today that the first ingredient in Hellmann's was soybean oil I hadn't noticed it before? Has it always been the first ingred?

I've been eating it since i started the gluten-free diet but lately noticing after i eat the tuna I feel neasous and then bleching. I tried some from TJ don't know if it was soy free but i'd rather eat it dry than put that in it.
Any ideas will help.
saw on a earlier post that claire was gluten-free,soy,dairy free. What do you use Claire?
Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

Judy - yes, sadly, soybean oil has always been in mayo. Until now!! :D You'll be happy to know that Hellmann's has a canola mayo out, I've got it right here - it's very good too. Ingredients are canola oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar,lemon juice, natrual flavors, calcium disdium edta (used to protect quality).
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#3 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:51 AM

I spoke to the makers of Helleman's and they confirmed to me that it is gluten-free.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#4 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

Judy - yes, sadly, soybean oil has always been in mayo. Until now!! :D You'll be happy to know that Hellmann's has a canola mayo out, I've got it right here - it's very good too. Ingredients are canola oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar,lemon juice, natrual flavors, calcium disdium edta (used to protect quality).

You guys are amazing. :) :) :)
thanks soooo much
Will pitch my tuna from 2 days ago. I'm even getting over--the can't pitch it out--can't waste food :lol: :lol:
Better in the trash can if hubby won't eat it...he doesn't like eggs in it.
I've started adding, finely diced red onion or galla sweet onions, celery, chopped egg for the first serving. The next day, I add some rice noodles that are left overs or maybe some rice and put on a pile of lettuce.
I try to make sure i have some hard boiled eggs and this tuna in the frig esp on swimming days so when i come in it's a no brainer to 'grab and eat' as i'm usually starving.
Thanks again, you guys.
just too tired to do a search on here. Thanks for letting me be lazy today.
Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

#5 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hi, Judy--Another option is Spectrum's Canola Oil Mayo. It's gluten-free, DF, and soy-free, as I avoid these things, too. It even says gluten free on the label. I use it all the time, as I love my tuna fish and egg salad!
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#6 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

Hey, anybody out there who knows of a mayonnaise without soy, gluten, dairy, egg, vinegar, spices and is made with cold pressed sunflower oil? :blink: Just kidding, but I REALLY miss mayonnaise! I've stopped eating tuna, as it doesn't seem worth eating without mayo. Oh well, such is life. :(

But I am glad for you, Judy, it will be so nice for you to feel better and be able to eat your tuna salad, too!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 teankerbell

teankerbell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Spectrum's Canola Mayo is pretty good - Casen, dairy, gluten, soy free. I make my own from the SCD recipe. That one is doable for tuna.
Laura
Started SCD 3/16/06

Diagnosed by Enterolab 2/06/06
IgA & tTg Positive, Malabsorption negative
HLA-DQB1, 0303 0302
Casein IgA positive
gluten-free 2/8/06
Celiac Blood Panel Normal 2/13/06
Rheumatoid Arthritis 7/05

#8 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

Does anyone know if Smart Balance mayo is gluten-free? I bought some w/o thinking.

Thanks.

- Lauren

#9 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hey, anybody out there who knows of a mayonnaise without soy, gluten, dairy, egg, vinegar, spices and is made with cold pressed sunflower oil? :blink: Just kidding, but I REALLY miss mayonnaise! I've stopped eating tuna, as it doesn't seem worth eating without mayo. Oh well, such is life. :(

But I am glad for you, Judy, it will be so nice for you to feel better and be able to eat your tuna salad, too!

I'll let you know how it tastes :lol:
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Judy, when you get a chance, check your email!! I just sent you one and it had to do with the mayonnaise. I hadn't checked on here yet.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#11 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

I wonder if you could make your own? Can you use any of the egg-beaters or replacers? Mayo is just eggs and oil whipped together. If you have an egg replacement, you could experiment from recipes. Maybe?
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#12 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

I wonder if you could make your own? Can you use any of the egg-beaters or replacers? Mayo is just eggs and oil whipped together. If you have an egg replacement, you could experiment from recipes. Maybe?

I think so of the cooking gluten-free cookbooks have some.
i'll ck for you
never thought of making my own :ph34r:
I wouldn't want to use raw eggs guess you have to cook it :blink:
Lord, another thing for this 'non cook' to cook.
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#13 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

I was thinking about making my own too because I miss it. I've been avoiding it because of the vinegar. maybe I'll give it a shot again and if it doesn't go well, I'll make my own.

Go judy! have some good tuna salad and feel better. :)

#14 Jenn2005

Jenn2005

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

My husband is gluten, dairy and soy free also and I buy him the Helmans Canola Mayo and he really likes it. My question is what kind of Tuna are you buying if your avoiding soy. Every brand I picked up at the grocery store (Publix and Wal Mart) have soy in them. I'm hoping you have found a brand that doesn't use soy because my husband is really missing his tuna salad but he is enjoying egg salad since I found the Canola mayo.

Jennifer

#15 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

The only tuna I have found that is gluten-free and soy free is Whole Foods' brand. They have a few varieties, and I buy the solid white albacore. The downside is that it's $1.50 a can, but it's worth it to have soy free tuna. It's packaged only in spring water, which is nice.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: