36 replies to this topic

#16 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

I get Trader Joes spring water Tuna with out salt.
There is not soy listed. only Albacore, spring water and that's it.
NOW that's if they haven't changed it.
They have been doing alot of that. Are you by a Trader Joes? I can send the website to ck locations link if you want. I'll also ck my tuna can.

Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:56 AM

I've also found Polar brand - just tuna, water and salt.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#18 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:20 AM

I just got a new cookbook over the weekend - allergy free - and it had a mayo receipe with no vinegar and, "I think," no eggs. I will check and let you know. There was also a "mock" sour cream in there too that I am dying to try.

For my mayo, I use a passover mayo with citric acid instead of vinegar.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#19 terps19

terps19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:20 AM

Anyone ever heard of Vegaise? I am not sure if it is gluten free but I think it might be... I know it is dairy free. I will check next time I go to the store
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis March 05
New GI doctor not convinced I have UC but maybe Microscopic Colitis
Dx'd With gluten and casien sensativity through Enterolab
Gluten score was 40 and casein score was 16.
Ready to feel better through a gluten-free/CF diet!

GO TERPS

#20 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

I just bought the Hellmann's canola mayo and the ingredients are so different in the Canadian version. Water, canola oil, modified corn starch, liquid yolk, vinegar, sugar, salt, spices (contains soybean oil), xanthan gum, sorbic acid, phosphoric acid, citric acid, concentrated lemon juice, colour, calcium disodium EDTA, and sulphites. After reading that long ingredient list, I think I am going to return it. The Canadian website says that they will list gluten.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#21 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

I just bought the Hellmann's canola mayo and the ingredients are so different in the Canadian version. Water, canola oil, modified corn starch, liquid yolk, vinegar, sugar, salt, spices (contains soybean oil), xanthan gum, sorbic acid, phosphoric acid, citric acid, concentrated lemon juice, colour, calcium disodium EDTA, and sulphites. After reading that long ingredient list, I think I am going to return it. The Canadian website says that they will list gluten.

There's the old crap ---SOYBEAN OIL--was it listed on the label with the 'spices'?????? know if would have seen that if listed but since it was said here if didn't have soy just got it.
I haven't opened mine yet and will call them tomorrow.
oh, guess i ck website now.
I don't think mine said spices but I was still 'spinning' when i got home from 'label reading.
Thanks for letting me know.
also the Sharon's sorbet cocconut has soy in it...... :ph34r:
will post that on the 'sorbet site.
what would be do without each other.
:huh: Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#22 paulasimone

paulasimone

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

I wonder if you could make your own? Can you use any of the egg-beaters or replacers? Mayo is just eggs and oil whipped together. If you have an egg replacement, you could experiment from recipes. Maybe?

I TOTALLY MADE MY OWN MAYO TODAY!!!
okay, sorry for that outburst, but it was very exciting!

i used the recipe from Michael Cox's "Gluten-Free" cookbook (which is *THE ONE* to get if you're a foodie and not just looking for bobo versions of gluten-y foods):

-------------------------------------------------
MAYONNAISE

1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
1 cup oil (light olive or vegetable oil)
juice of 1 small lemon
makes 1 cup

[whisking instructions]
Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature before making the mayonnaise. Combine the egg yolk, salt, and mustard in a bowl and whisk the mixture thoroughly. Add the oil - to begin with, add a drop at a time, then slowly increase the flow, whisking the mixture continuously until all the oil is fully incorporated. (Avoid using virgin olive oil - this has too strong a flavor for mayonnaise.) Add the lemon juice and more salt if necessary. If the mixture is too thick, add a little warm water, mixing well.

[food processor instructions]
Mayonnaise can be made easily if using a food processor - place 1 egg yolk and 1 whole egg in the processor with the salt, mustard, lemon juice and half of the oil. Blend together and, with the machine still running, add the remaining oil in a steady stream. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

i used the whisking method - the whisking is a bit strenuous, but all told it only takes a few minutes. i used safflower oil and eden organic brown mustard (made with apple cider vinegar - i don't take chances with vinegar!), and it turned out perfect and delicious. i made chicken salad and still have plenty of mayo left. i have to say, this was a very satisfying and lightning quick project. it's quite a transformation from oil and egg to mayo. i'm still nerding out over this one.
:)
paula

#23 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

paula
I'm so happy for you. congratulations

I guess you don't cook this????? Is anyone cocerned about samonanela (?) or am I old fashioned about eating raw egg...I'm new at this cooking thing.
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#24 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hey ~ I found an eggless, soy-free mayo recipe at http://www.angelfire...ST/veggies.html
There's lots of yummy sounding recipes - scroll down till you find it!
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#25 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

There's the old crap ---SOYBEAN OIL--was it listed on the label with the 'spices'?????? know if would have seen that if listed but since it was said here if didn't have soy just got it.
I haven't opened mine yet and will call them tomorrow.
oh, guess i ck website now.
I don't think mine said spices but I was still 'spinning' when i got home from 'label reading.
Thanks for letting me know.
also the Sharon's sorbet cocconut has soy in it...... :ph34r:
will post that on the 'sorbet site.
what would be do without each other.
:huh: Judy

Remember I am in Canada so they may be completely different mayos. They are made in different plants. So yours might be okay. My Hellmann's up here is not soy free.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#26 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:22 PM

Remember I am in Canada so they may be completely different mayos. They are made in different plants. So yours might be okay. My Hellmann's up here is not soy free.

fELIDAE,
THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW YOUR IN CANADA.
CALLED US REP TODAY AND SHE SAID IT SOY FREE HERE AND THAT'S WHY THEY PRODUCED THIS PRODUCT BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAVE SOY + the canola is better i guess.
the rep said that she used it and it's just as good as regular h. mayo.
i'll let you know if i like it.
judy in phlly
Judy in Southern CA

#27 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

paula

I guess you don't cook this????? Is anyone cocerned about samonanela (?) or am I old fashioned about eating raw egg...I'm new at this cooking thing.
Judy

Just make sure the egg is not cracked in anyway. Then its very important to eat the mayo within 3 days top. So don't make too much at once.
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#28 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

My husband is gluten, dairy and soy free also and I buy him the Helmans Canola Mayo and he really likes it. My question is what kind of Tuna are you buying if your avoiding soy. Every brand I picked up at the grocery store (Publix and Wal Mart) have soy in them. I'm hoping you have found a brand that doesn't use soy because my husband is really missing his tuna salad but he is enjoying egg salad since I found the Canola mayo.

Jennifer

I buy Sunkrist light tuna packed in water. Its just tuna, water and salt. Also you don't want to eat albacore tuna because its from older fish for some reason can't remember but being older they have more mercury in them.
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#29 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

tried the hellmans canola mayo today and really liked it
haven't had tuna/ it yet. had some on some meatloaf i made.
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#30 paulasimone

paulasimone

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

paula

Judy

thanks for the congrats. :)

i'm new at this cooking thing too, but still alive, no salmonella! :) our grandmas did this all the time right? and we generally have much better fridges than them. :D and fancy restaurants do it too - all the homemade red pepper mayo, garlic mayo, horseradish mayo, pesto mayo, aoli (italian mayo ;)), etc.

i think bluejean girl is right - no cracked eggs, stick it right into the fridge, and use it quickly.

:)
paula

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: