36 replies to this topic

#31 LynnwoodCitizen

LynnwoodCitizen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:09 AM

The only tuna I have found that is gluten-free and soy free is Whole Foods' brand. They have a few varieties, and I buy the solid white albacore. The downside is that it's $1.50 a can, but it's worth it to have soy free tuna. It's packaged only in spring water, which is nice.

gluten-free and soy-free tuna? My cans of tuna simply list the ingredients as tuna, water

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 jnclelland

jnclelland

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

gluten-free and soy-free tuna? My cans of tuna simply list the ingredients as tuna, water

Kirkland brand at Costco is also soy-free, and much cheaper than Whole Foods!

#33 COOPERFAMILY4

COOPERFAMILY4

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL**, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS+, SUGAR, SALT, LEMON JUICE, XANTHAN GUM**, (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, DL ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PHOSPHORIC ACID**, NATURAL FLAVORS (SOY), BETA CAROTENE** (FOR COLOR), CITRIC ACID**, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, PHYTONADIONE (VITAMIN K).
** INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE
+ ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF CHOLESTEROL

UNFORTUNATELY THESE ARE THE OFFICAL INGREDIENTS IN HELLMANN'S CANOLA MAYO AND IT DOES CONTAIN SOY. GO TO WWW.HELLMANNS.COM/PRODUCTS AND CLICK ON THE CANOLA MAYO.

HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT I HAVE BEEN IN SEARCH FOR A GLUTEN FREE SOY FREE MAYO. MY 9 YEAR OLD SON HAS AUTISM/ASPERGER'S SYNDROME AND HE HAS ALOT OF ALLERGIES/FOOD SENSITIVITES AND I AM TRYING TO CHANGE HIS DIET BUT IT IS VERY HARD WHEN HE HAS ALL THESE FOOD ALLERGIES/SENSITIVITES LIKE GLUTEN, CASEIN, SOY ANY KIND OF NUTS!!! I AM LITERALLY GOING NUTS BUT I DID ALOT OF GOOGLE RESEARCH AND FOUND DO IT AT HOME MAYO RECIPES THAT ANYONE CAN DO AT HOME. JUST GOOGLE SOY FREE MAYO ETC AND YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING YOU CAN DO AS FAR AS MAYO GOES THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!-COOPERFAMILY4

#34 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:18 AM

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL**, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS+, SUGAR, SALT, LEMON JUICE, XANTHAN GUM**, (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, DL ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PHOSPHORIC ACID**, NATURAL FLAVORS (SOY), BETA CAROTENE** (FOR COLOR), CITRIC ACID**, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, PHYTONADIONE (VITAMIN K).
** INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE
+ ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF CHOLESTEROL

UNFORTUNATELY THESE ARE THE OFFICAL INGREDIENTS IN HELLMANN'S CANOLA MAYO AND IT DOES CONTAIN SOY. GO TO WWW.HELLMANNS.COM/PRODUCTS AND CLICK ON THE CANOLA MAYO.

HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT I HAVE BEEN IN SEARCH FOR A GLUTEN FREE SOY FREE MAYO. MY 9 YEAR OLD SON HAS AUTISM/ASPERGER'S SYNDROME AND HE HAS ALOT OF ALLERGIES/FOOD SENSITIVITES AND I AM TRYING TO CHANGE HIS DIET BUT IT IS VERY HARD WHEN HE HAS ALL THESE FOOD ALLERGIES/SENSITIVITES LIKE GLUTEN, CASEIN, SOY ANY KIND OF NUTS!!! I AM LITERALLY GOING NUTS BUT I DID ALOT OF GOOGLE RESEARCH AND FOUND DO IT AT HOME MAYO RECIPES THAT ANYONE CAN DO AT HOME. JUST GOOGLE SOY FREE MAYO ETC AND YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING YOU CAN DO AS FAR AS MAYO GOES THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!-COOPERFAMILY4

Thank you so much for posting that. I missed the soy under the natural flavors, now I know why this mayo doesn't agree with me....... I had to go check my label and the label on my jar doesn't state that the flavors are soy derived. They must have realized that being an allergan it does need to be listed. I had been wondering where soy was sneaking into my diet and even wondered if I was becoming intolerant to eggs. My soy reaction is very different from gluten so I knew I wasn't being glutened. Mystery solved.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#35 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

OMG Cooperfamily4......I've been sick for the past two weeks and now I know why.....my jar of Best Foods mayo does not list soy after the words natural flavors. Hellmann's mayo uses the label "Best Foods"west of the rockies, and that is the brand that I have been purchasing. I travel, and I know for a fact that Hellmann's on the east coast did list soy as an ingredient, then when I came back out west soy was not listed on their Best Foods brand, so I bought it.

I'm near a natural food store and tomorrow will buy some Spectrum, or drive about 30 miles and purchase Whole Foods mayo. Whole Foods is less expensive and it tastes good.

Before I discovered Spectrum/Whole Foods here is the recipe I used ....it is from the American Egg board using cooked egg:

2 egg yolks (I used whole eggs)
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used 1)
2 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sugar (I used honey)
1 teaspoon dry mustard (gluten free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash cayenne
1 cup vegetable (contains soy!!) oil (canola is soy free)

In a small saucepan, stir together the egg yolks, lemon juice, water, sugar, mustard, salt and cayenne with a wooden spoon until blended. Place over very low heat and stir constantly until it bubbles in one or two spots. Remove from the heat and let stand 4 minutes. Pour into a blender (I used a mason jar and 1 beater bar)and blend, slowly adding the oil in a thin, constant stream. Scrape down the sides as needed. When the mixture is thick and smooth, chill until ready to use.

Vinegar is not listed as an ingredient......I added some. I also mixed a small amount of cornstarch to cold water before cooking the ingredients.....I like the consistency to be slightly thicker than this recipe.I tried many home-made recipes, and this one was my favorite for taste.

Back to the tuna fish: Polar has no soy, natural food stores sell a tuna without soy, and another brand, I think it is Crown Prince? is soy free. I'm not so sure about Starkist....if vegetable oil is listed, it is soy. Bumblebee brand also has soy. I know in the past these 2 brands contained soy and made me sick.

#36 Jonnyb11

Jonnyb11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:08 AM

Hi, I am confused about the Tuna thing.
In Europe we have cans of tuna that contain tuna, water and salt (Brine). Should I be concerned that they have soy in? and would that soy have gluten in?

Also, so if flavours are soy derived they are a no no????

#37 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

I'm not familiar with European tuna....my guess would be the tuna you mentioned only includes the ingredients listed.

Soy is a vegetable, and does not include gluten. I'm soy intolerant, and that is why I have to analyze labels so carefully. Soy makes me very ill.

A product that lists vegetable oil as an ingredient usually does not say what the vegetable oil is derived from: soy, canola, sunflower, etc. so I have to be very careful.

A product that lists natural flavor as an ingredient also does not say what the natural flavor is derived from . Because of addiitonal food allergies, I have to be very careful about what I eat.

An ingredient is only a no no if you are allergic to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: