This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Birth Control Pill

Jen H

Jen H Contributor

Hi everyone,

I started taking Ortho Tricyclen about 2 weeks ago to help with recurrent cysts and endometriosis and I've been having a lot of headaches and nausea. Have any of you been on Ortho Tricyclen before and had to switch? Also, can you recommend a gluten-free birth control pill that you use that has been sucessful for you? Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I take Kariva, (generic for Mircette) it is gluten-free as well as Seasonale (made by the same company). I take it because during the off week you still get a low dose of estrogen and it helped a lot with the headaches i would get during that week.

happygirl Collaborator

I take the same as StrongerToday does....been on it for 4+ years and haven't had any probs with it. Hope you find something that works for you!

Guest cassidy

I was on bc pills for about 10 years. Then I tried the patch which I didn't like. It left a sticky band-aid type residue. Then I tried the ring. I really liked the ring and was on it for 3 years. It doesn't go through your digestive system so that is positive for celiacs. I only went off of it because we want to get pregnant.

Jen H Contributor

Thanks for posting gals. Not sure if I'm asking this the right way, but are there some BC pills that have a lower hormone dosage? Is that what is making me feel sick or is it my body getting used to the pill?

Kariva/Mircette sounds like a good choice. Any others?

StrongerToday Enthusiast

You could try taking it at bedtime or with food if it's upsetting your stomach.

penguin Community Regular

I was on ortho tri for a long time, but I switched to desogen when I got engaged, because I wanted to control when my periods were before the wedding, and during and after. Seasonale and desogen are the same drug, packaged differently. Switching was fine, but I think it slowed down my drive. I take the kariva now, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I was on bc pills for about 10 years. Then I tried the patch which I didn't like. It left a sticky band-aid type residue. Then I tried the ring. I really liked the ring and was on it for 3 years. It doesn't go through your digestive system so that is positive for celiacs. I only went off of it because we want to get pregnant.

I am on Alesse. I've been on it for 10+ years and never had a problem.

My sister is on the patch and we were just having this conversation the other day that she said she wants to switch because she is not that comfortable with it especially with a new article practically everyday about all the side effects like blood clots. One of my good friends uses the ring and raves about it. My sister is kinda forgetful about taking a pill so I was telling her that this might be a good option.

jenvan Collaborator

NUVARING! I was on ortho for 10 years...just switched to nuvaring that past year. I definitely prefer it. For one, it is absorbed directly in your bloodstream and the dose of hormones is much lower. So it might be a good fit for you. It can take your body several months to adjust to the pills though. However, ortho may not be a fit for you. One tip for nausea--always take your pill with food, not on an empty stomach. If you want to hear more about the nuvaring, let me know.

PS--I will add to what Jillian said and say that blood clots are potential dangers of all birth control pills. DON'T smoke if you are on the pill.

Jen H Contributor

Thanks ladies. I recently started taking my pill with a small snack, before I sleep. I went off BC last year before I was diagnosed because I wanted to detox my body of all medicines (I was a mess). I believe I took Desogen before and that it worked well. Do you think I should try it again if it worked for me before? I have never heard of Nuvaring before. Is it a pill?

Guest nini

I've been taking Microgestin (generic for LoEstrin) for almost 6 years now. It is a very low doseage hormone (hence the name LoEstrin for low estrogen). It works really well for me and I've been assured by the mfr. that it is gluten-free.

Jen H Contributor

I just read up on Nuvaring. Jenvan, does it help prevent cysts? Nini, do you find that you experience many side effects with your Loestrin? I've been getting alot of headaches on Ortho Tricyclen, which is why I'd like to switch. Are there less side effects with the lower dosage hormones?

Guest nini
I just read up on Nuvaring. Jenvan, does it help prevent cysts? Nini, do you find that you experience many side effects with your Loestrin? I've been getting alot of headaches on Ortho Tricyclen, which is why I'd like to switch. Are there less side effects with the lower dosage hormones?

I was having too many side effects on Ortho Tricyclen and Ortho Novum which is why they switched me to Loestrin... I don't notice ANY side effects with it! I would like to get off the pill altogether, but don't want to have to take or insert anything else, so the only other option for me requires surgery, and I'm not willing to go there yet, neither is DH for that matter! LOL!

So to answer your question, I'd say yes there are fewer side effects on the lower dosage of hormones.

jenvan Collaborator

Jen-yes, nuvaring does help prevent cysts. Granted I'm married and would do BC anyway, but cysts is why I went on BC 10 years ago--I had several rupture previously. The nuvaring may be intimidating to some, but I have several friends who love it too. You don't notice it, it stays in and is not a problem during you-know-what... :) Any other ?s

minibabe Contributor

I was on the patch loving life.....then I went for my 6 month check up and she said that she is no longer giving out that prescription <_<

So after sitting there with her for about 40 mins.....I decided to try the Nuvaring. I am so so so happy to see that everyone that is using it loves it. I was a little hesitant about it, but after reading such wonderful things I am actually happy to try it. I actaully start it in a couple of weeks

Amanda NY

Jen H Contributor

Thanks for your input everyone! I left a message with my GYN today and she'll be calling in a new prescription. I'm not sure I'm ready for the ring yet, but thanks for sharing your experience with it, Jenvan. I think I'll try a new type of BCP first and see how it goes.

frenchiemama Collaborator

I have a Mirena IUD. It beats the hell out of any other birth control I've tried (and I've tried a lot: mini-pill = ok, but failure rates are too high for my comfort; desogen = hungry and moody; ortho = nauseated ALL the time; ortho-lo = irregular periods; ortho evra (patch) = terrible skin irritation; nuvaring = the only thing I actually liked other than the IUD).

Becky6 Enthusiast

I have the mirena IUD as well and love it! I have had it for 3 years. The pill made me sick, terrible migraines, moody and mean. I just don't miss them! I tried 6 different ones and had problems with all of them. good luck!

jenvan Collaborator

well Jen, it is your body...so I guess its okay :) good luck and hope you find one you like!

Jen H Contributor

Thanks Jen. You crack me up.

• 1 year later...
Butterfly619 Newbie
Thanks ladies. I recently started taking my pill with a small snack, before I sleep. I went off BC last year before I was diagnosed because I wanted to detox my body of all medicines (I was a mess). I believe I took Desogen before and that it worked well. Do you think I should try it again if it worked for me before? I have never heard of Nuvaring before. Is it a pill?

Hello, I was hoping you might know. I have Celiac disease and was given Desogen because I get bad migraines, sick cramps and had ovarian cysts. I cannot find a sure answer anywhere if it's gluten free. Either can I for sleeping pills because the manufacturer says they don't always list or test for Gluten. How have you found your information just through this site and other people? Any bad side affects when you first started Desogen? I am not active so I wish I didn't have to take it. I don't know how else to control the pain or if I am hurting myself more if there is Gluten in it..Thankyou for any advice really appreciate it. I found out I had Celiac through a letter in the mail with no explanation or advice! I have also gained weight since I stopped eating bread and pasta which is odd. SOS?

Archived