Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free/dairy Free Calcium Supplements?

17 posts in this topic

I tried to search, but I did not find what I was looking for. In the last week, I noticed I have a hard time with lactose/dairy products. I used to take Citracal for my osteopena, but it looks like there might be a sugar related to lactose in it. The pharmacist did not have a definitive answer for me.

I know some of you with lactose intolerance must take calcium pills...so which ones do you take? Thanks for the help!

Ads by Google:

Freeda brand vitamins/supplements are free of soy/dairy/gluten. I was told about them from a nutritionist I took my daughter to when she was first diagnosed last week. She gave me a form to order directly from them but I don't have it with me now - sorry. They probably have a website - I haven't looked for them in any stores yet so don't know how easily available they are.

I use the CVS pharmacy store brand - they are soy, corn, gluten, dairy, wheat free and I use them with no problems (I have also used the Marsh brand in the past).

I take a Calcium/Magnesium supplement that I found at Whole Foods. It is free of the 8 major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, etc.)

Is calcium caltrate a gluten/dairy product?

I take Webber Naturals and Safeway brand calcium & D supplements. They are both gfdf.

I use the CVS pharmacy store brand - they are soy, corn, gluten, dairy, wheat free and I use them with no problems (I have also used the Marsh brand in the past).

Do you know if they have Vit. D supplements that are free of all those allergens? We are also soy, corn, gluten, egg and milk free. Thank you!

Nature Made Enhanced Absorption Calcium 750mg + D + K. 300 tablet bottles at Costco.

It was Gluten-free Casein-free when I bought my bottle several months ago.

You can double check at www.naturemade.com and 800-276-7878.

Do you know if they have Vit. D supplements that are free of all those allergens? We are also soy, corn, gluten, egg and milk free. Thank you!

I've been using Carlson "Solar D Gems"... lemon-flavored cod liver oil in gelatin capsules (they actually taste good). Free of gluten, heavy metals, and PCBs. Here are the ingredients:

Cod liver oil, natural lemon flavor, beef gelatin, glycerin, sorbitol, water.

I am a fan of RainbowLight's Food Based Calcium. It has the proper dose of calcium (500mg per pill, you can't absorb more than that at a time). It has a good ratio of calcium to magnesium (500mg Ca, 250mg Mg). And some vitD3 (100IU). (I take additional liquid vitD3 given my location and circumstances.) It's gluten/dairy/soy free.

Whenever possible, I get the powdered supplements. That way there aren't any fillers, binders, flow agents, or anything else. It's usually cheaper per dose that way too. NOW Foods has calcium, magnesium, Cal/Mag combo, potassium, and various others. They generally blend right into smoothies without messing up the taste, though the citrate forms will lend a citrus or lemony sort of taste. It just depends on how much you use.

Is Caltrate ok? My daughter takes that.... I hope it is :o

Is Caltrate ok? My daughter takes that.... I hope it is :o

Interesting that this should come up right now...Caltrate is on the gluten-free list at glutenfreedrugs.com and it looks to be gluten-free (they actually list "corn starch" as an ingredient so I'm guessing that's their binder), but I just started taking it and it seemed like it was making me sick, so I've stopped for now...once I feel 100% better I'll go back to it and see if it was really the culprit or not. I also want to call their customer service, just haven't had a chance yet...really it seems like it should be gluten-free, so I'm hoping something else was my issue. Does anyone else have experience with this product?

calcium can cause constipation, magnesium diarrhea - different amounts affect different people. is it possible you were experiencing side effects of the Ca or Mg itself?

calcium can cause constipation, magnesium diarrhea - different amounts affect different people. is it possible you were experiencing side effects of the Ca or Mg itself?

tarnalberry - that's a good point, too. I was taking a different calcium supplement before so I don't think it's the Ca, but I switched to Caltrate to get additional minerals as well, so maybe it is the Mg...that would make some sense. Although I still hope it was a reaction to something else entirely so that I don't have to waste this whole bottle of pills I just bought!

I've taken 2 Caltrate tablets a day now for the last couple of years. I called them when I first bought it, and at that time I was told it was both gluten and dairy free. I have not checked since then, and continue to tolerate it well.

I'm sensitive to most suppliments I've tried, but I'm fine with the Caltrate :)